My Annual Mock

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok so here's my shot at pretending to be Keim. Let me preface this by saying these are picks, players and moves I would target, not necessarily ones I think the team will.

Round 1

(13) * pick traded to Houston for their 1st (25), 2nd (56) and 5th (169)
- Houston knows how badly they need a QB but couldn't afford to get ahead of Cleveland @ 12. Arians has said before that he likes to play rookie QBs, not sit them. Next year we have a bevy of picks and a better QB class. FWIW, I like some of the throwers coming out this year. I also like adding as much playable talent to this year's roster as possible. Let's get Fitz a ring.

(25) Jarrad Davis LB Florida
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
- I love this kid. I'm not sure why he doesn't get talked about more on here. Great leader, great character, great player. Smart guy who will wear the green dot just as soon as Dansby moves over. He also gives us a little position flexibility to throw Buc into the defensive backfield a bit so we have one safety that can run faster than Lieutenant Dan this year. My favorite thing is just how he finishes plays. He's not a raving lunatic out there and doesn't talk a lot but you won't find any soft tackles in his game film. The fury in his takedowns shows his passion for the game.

Round 2

(45) Juju Smith-Schuster WR USC
- I never like USC WR's but this kid is a beast. He's Q without the bad blood. Phenomenal football character and the balls that this offense has been missing since Q left. This will be Arians' Hines Ward out of the slot after Fitz goes and what Floyd was against Seattle only against other teams as well. Watch the block he throws at about 3:15 in the video and tell me you don't see the lovechild of Q and Hines Ward.

(56) Chris Wormley DT(3-4DE) MICH
- ******* Caleb Brantley hurt Wormley's chances of falling this far but we shall see. Nkemdiche was a poo pick. Said it then. Saying it now. Hopefully I stop saying it at some point. Wormley, on the other hand, is a phenomenal character guy and a natural born worker and leader. Not a numbers guy. The leadership torch on the line will be passed down to him when Rucker and Peters retire.

Round 3

(77) **** TABOR CB FLA
- Good player for our system. I don't see the position as as much of a need as most on this board but that's mainly because I feel like, for the first time ever, the worst contract signing of the Keim era, Justin Bethel, will have all the motivation and opportunity to succeed this year. I'm also expecting more from Brandon Williams than most. He's a hard working kid with the ability to succeed. Tabor is an idiot but we like drafting dumb players. This one plays hard and produces. I don't mind the lack of measurables. His tape shows the type of player he is. The D needs his attitude.

Round 4

(119) Kyle Sloter QB NORTHERN COLORADO
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UgR966IkJCc#

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HZsVsskA8ak#
- I'm not sure I remember who brought him up on the board but nice find. The Cardinals are one of a very small handful of teams who've shown real interest. I was really intrigued until I saw an interview he did where he bombed the last question saying he'd like to have dinner with Tupac. Hoping it was a joke or the interview was really with Chad Kelly. Cannon arm, great accuracy and (aside from that asinine answer to an overplayed question) a fully functional brain. One season with this kid at #3 should let Arians and Keim know if they need to throw the kitchen sink at moving up next year for a QB.

Round 5

(157) Lorenzo Jerome S St. Francis
- The team didn't want to wait this long to address their biggest need but they let the board come to them and feel good about it. In all actuality, they'd use the Wormley pick on Josh Jones if he's there. I would too but I'm too lazy to re-do this and I doubt he's there anyhow. Jerome isn't shiny. Just a football player. He's Tony Jefferson 2.0. What he lacks in measurables, he makes up in everything else. Doesn't hurt that he's had great success in the return game, either.

(169) James Connor RB PITT
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=muIydLIKvr8#

- He's better than he's given credit for. Solid, in-line, short yardage back and the type who has the makings and mindset of a very good STer.

(179) Some kid we never heard of from some school we never heard of. I'm tired.

Round 6

(197) Nazair Jones DT NC
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I7AHF5BboL8#

- Phone booth defender. poo feet but big, strong and mean
Round 7

(231) See pick 179.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I like the Tabor pick but overall would walk away from days 1 & 2 of the draft (where I at least have some knowledge of what's going on, unlike the final day) disappointed. Moving back 12 picks is awfully painful with some of the elite talent, or a QB, that should presumably be on the board at 13. Especially if it's just for one more second and a fifth.

I'm just not of the opinion that we need a ton of picks to bring in a bunch of rookies if we're truly trying to get Fitz a ring. This draft would fail to address our biggest needs until we're in developmental territory.

OP
OP
cardsfanmd

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like the Tabor pick but overall would walk away from days 1 & 2 of the draft (where I at least have some knowledge of what's going on, unlike the final day) disappointed. Moving back 12 picks is awfully painful with some of the elite talent, or a QB, that should presumably be on the board at 13. Especially if it's just for one more second and a fifth.

I'm just not of the opinion that we need a ton of picks to bring in a bunch of rookies if we're truly trying to get Fitz a ring. This draft would fail to address our biggest needs until we're in developmental territory.
I think we have a different opinion of our current needs. What do you see our biggest needs at in regards to getting a ring this year? I'd list them as:

S
ST's
CB
WR
ILB
DL

From what I can see, the needs were addressed.

Last edited:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
(25) Jarrad Davis LB Florida

Sorry dude...hate this pick. Watch the Vanderbilt game this year...probably his best game and he was getting blown off the ball, blocked out of plays, etc. I don't think he is an effective ILB and I wouldn't take him. I think he is better in pass defense but watch him vs Foster in the run game...it's like a man (Foster) vs a boy (Davis). Cunningham has his issues but I would much rather draft him than Davis. Also give me Anzalone in round 3 before Davis.

No way on a DT.

Love the Tabor pick but I think he goes in round 2 (unfortunately).

I would take Chad Kelly.

We couldn't be more divided on our picks. :)

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Sorry dude...hate this pick. Watch the Vanderbilt game this year...probably his best game and he was getting blown off the ball, blocked out of plays, etc. I don't think he is an effective ILB and I wouldn't take him. I think he is better in pass defense but watch him vs Foster in the run game...it's like a man (Foster) vs a boy (Davis). Cunningham has his issues but I would much rather draft him than Davis. Also give me Anzalone in round 3 before Davis.

No way on a DT.

Love the Tabor pick but I think he goes in round 2 (unfortunately).

I would take Chad Kelly.

We couldn't be more divided on our picks. :)

Davis is a superb athlete and prospect, but he misses too often on plays and finishes he should make. Davis vs. Alabama shows his athleticism, but watch how many plays he misses on. It's tough to project him as a 1st rounder based on tapes like this. I still see what MD sees, though. He is Dansby-esque athletically.

I think MD nailed it with Wormley. He would be an excellent pick.

With **** Tabor, I love the cover skills, but I wonder whether we can afford another CB who has little interest in tackling. But for his cover skills, a 3rd pick is a steal.

Fascinated with QB Kyle Sloter.

Love the Jerome and Conner picks.

I tell you what, change Jarrad Davis to CB Kevin King or Chidobe Awuzie and switch Tabor with LB Blair Brown or Raekwon McMillan and this draft is an A, imho.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think we have a different opinion of our current needs. What do you see our biggest needs at in regards to getting a ring this year? I'd list them as:

S
ST's
CB
WR
ILB
DL

From what I can see, the needs were addressed.

I personally see them as:

CB
S
QB
WR
ST (Think CB/S/WR kinda fills this)
ILB
OG
Edge
DL

We're not that far off because I think the top three all pretty much take an equal weight, but I don't consider anything an "addressed need" after our 4th pick with the exception of a rotational DL. Jerome might very well turn out to be a solid player in the future, but there's plenty of S talent that will make it to the second round that I think will have a more immediate impact on our team over at best a 3rd WR and a DT that may as well be signaling that Nkemdiche is done.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like your choices, but I've never been a fan of trading down 12 picks. As a long term Cardinal pessimist, I just know we would somehow be passing on 2 HOF'ers in the process

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like your choices, but I've never been a fan of trading down 12 picks. As a long term Cardinal pessimist, I just know we would somehow be passing on 2 HOF'ers in the process

Sure but as a self proclaimed Cards pessimist you do realize we wouldn't pick those 2 HOF'ers even if we stay at 13. :)

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05