My Far-Fetched Kobe Theory

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont know if I posted this in this forum awhile back or mentioned it during of one last season's Suns game chats....

First, wasnt D'Antoni and Kobe's father best of friends? I also remembered that there were rumors (yeah rumors that werent really to my knowledge substantiated) that Kobe wore #8 in honor of D'Antoni because Kobe idolized him.....

For the longest time...I've always tried to link D'Antoni to the Suns (to Jerry C. and Co) in the first place? Did the Suns all along have this "Master Plan" that they'd hire D'Antoni as an Assistant and w/in 2-years groom him as their Head-Coach just in time when Kobe was eligible to become a FA? That this could be one of the elements that lures Kobe here to Phoenix? (obviously all of this prior to the obvious "incident" and of course nothing could have been mentioned earlier because of tampering).....

Now, I wonder with all these trade rumors involving the Suns and McGrady, that all of this was some sort of a plot concocted by the Suns to "psyche out" the other teams that might be involved in the Kobe sweepstakes? To make them all believe that the Suns have conceded? I know that Kobe obviously might stay in LA afterall, however, if the Suns (with D'Antoni being one of the major influences) go after Kobe at "full throttle", I believe that he very well may end-up here in Phoenix.....

Perhaps I'm reading all too much into this, but we wouldnt know how the Suns "Master Plan" could have come to fruition if it wasnt for the "incident" and the Lakers sudden demise.....

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Phoenix Suns may feel they have shot and Kobe Bryant, but they obviously don't feel too great about it. Otherwise they would not have been going very hard after Tracy McGrady.

Joe Mama

cly2tw

Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
The Phoenix Suns may feel they have shot and Kobe Bryant, but they obviously don't feel too great about it. Otherwise they would not have been going very hard after Tracy McGrady.

Joe Mama

Or the reason they have not been going hard enough after TMac, i.e. refusing to give up JJ, is that they already have Kobe in the bag? :D

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
To be honest, I think the Suns still have a shot at Bryant. O'Neal has been so negative about his future with the Lakers (and the reason that he wants to leave) that I now believe he and Bryant will not play together again. I know lots of people have been saying that all along, but I kept thinking they'd iron out their differences and move on. Now I am finally a believer.

The Lakers, I'm sure, want to trade O'Neal (if they're going to at all) before the free-agency period starts. That doesn't give them much time. But, as we've all discussed here, trading O'Neal isn't quite so easy as it sounds. The Lakers might decide that they just can't find an acceptable package, in which case I think there's a good chance Bryant leaves.

Oddly enough, however, I also think Bryant might leave even if O'Neal is traded. What will the rest of the Lakers' supporting cast look like after the trade? The Lakers will still be well over the cap (assuming Bryant is retained) without much in the way of young talent. If O'Neal doesn't fetch a nice combination of players, the Lakers might be in for a painful rebuilding period.

And if that's true, I don't know why Bryant would stick around. He might as well rebuild in a city that will give him a fresh start, one that hasn't already identified him as all that is wrong with its franchise, one where he has a chance to redefine what kind of player he is.

I've been thinking that it was only a 5-10% chance that Bryant would play for Phoenix next year, but now I think it's higher, maybe 15-20%. I do think that, if he leaves, Phoenix is his most likely destination.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Oddly enough, however, I also think Bryant might leave even if O'Neal is traded.

I do think that, if he leaves, Phoenix is his most likely destination.

Chad Ford said the same thing yesterday on the Mike and Mike show.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
If we got Kobe either Marion or JJ would be redundant anyway. You would have to wonder why they won't sacrifice both in a trade for another supderstar if they felt good about their chances to get Kobe...

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'll assume you mean T-Mac. Kobe and T-Mac seem more redundant than Kobe, Maion, JJ and most likely another prospect.

I'm not against having both T-Mac and Kobe as long as they and Amare feel they could play together.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
And one other thing

I don't think Kupchak is at all confident that he'll be able to keep Bryant. At least twice now, I've heard (or read) him use the money argument as the biggest reason he thinks Bryant will stay. Yes, we all know that NBA players usually follow the money. But when you're dealing with someone whose image has been as badly damaged as Bryant's has been, the one thing you don't want to say is, "Well, you know, he'll just play with whoever can pay him the most." It makes the player sound petty, short-sighted, and selfish -- all things that the Los Angeles media already say about Bryant.

Much better would be to say, "Kobe has a great relationship with this city and this organization. He's been a Laker since he was 17 years old and has enjoyed fantastic success with us. We are a proud franchise with one of the league's greatest track records, and we'd love nothing more than to see Kobe wear our uniform for his entire career."

But no. Instead, Kupchak says, "If he bases his decision on money, which, knowing what a greedly little turd he is, he probably will, then we'll be able to keep him."

I'm not convinced.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If we got Kobe either Marion or JJ would be redundant anyway.

I completely disagree. Johnson can either get converted to the PG of the future, or he can be a do-it-all sixth man. And if it doesn't work, then they could let him go.

You would have to wonder why they won't sacrifice both in a trade for another supderstar if they felt good about their chances to get Kobe...

That would be very, very foolish unless they were 100% sure about Bryant.

And besides, I would rather have Bryant, Marion, and Johnson than Bryant and McGrady anyway. Bryant and McGrady would cut down on each other's effectiveness.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
elindholm said:
And besides, I would rather have Bryant, Marion, and Johnson than Bryant and McGrady anyway. Bryant and McGrady would cut down on each other's effectiveness.

From a PR and ticket-selling perspective, McGrady and Bryant is a slam dunk. But I would much, much rather have Marion/JJ/Kobe instead of TMac/Kobe, mainly for the versatility. Talk about a team that could fly--and with Kobe we'd still be the youngest team in the NBA!

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Johnson
Bryant
Marion
Amare
McDyess

Can you say championship? (Yes, I still hope they sign Dice)

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
slinslin said:
If we got Kobe either Marion or JJ would be redundant anyway. You would have to wonder why they won't sacrifice both in a trade for another supderstar if they felt good about their chances to get Kobe...

like I said earlier, I don't think the Phoenix Suns and probably several other teams around the NBA value Tracy McGrady nearly as much as many of the fans and media do. Everybody knows he is a superstar, but I don't think they consider him on the same level as some of these other guys. A while back I remember hearing some guy who covers the NBA on the radio. He said that general managers and he has talked to don't consider Tracy McGrady closed to the same level as Kobe Bryant. They all wonder if he's so good, why did his team on the win 21 games last year. They also questioned his health.

Joe Mama

fordronken

Reaction score
I think that if we added Kobe that moving JJ to either a point guard spot or a point forward are the only ways to keep him from regressing. He would need the ball in his hands, for at least half a season to remain confident next to Kobe Bryant.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
slinslin said:

Because its the "all the eggs in one basket" thing. What if they do the trade and then can't get Kobe. At least they're being careful with this.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going on record right now that if this trade between Houston and Orlando goes down as reported the Houston Rockets are no better next year than they were this year.

Joe Mama

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I'm going on record right now that if this trade between Houston and Orlando goes down as reported the Houston Rockets are no better next year than they were this year.

Joe Mama

I disagree. I think the Rockets will have quite a honeymoon with the other players freed from the shackles of playing with Francis and Mobley.

Also, Howard is a better fit for them than Cato was. They got killed at PF all year last year, especially when teams went small.

Once they get to the playoffs, though, the Rockets will probably be looking at the same results. Yao might take over KG's role as the 'best player never to get out of the first round'.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cato was a key part of the Houston Rockets interior defense last year. I thought he was really an underrated part of that team even if I don't think he's worth nearly $8 million per year. Howard might help offensively, but the offensively I think they will really miss Cato.

Joe Mama

yotes1921

Rookie
Reaction score
I don’t think the Houston Orlando trade happens. Why would Orlando trade a future first round draft pick for a point guard, if they planned on trading for one with a large long contract.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yotes1921 said:
I don’t think the Houston Orlando trade happens. Why would Orlando trade a future first round draft pick for a point guard, if they planned on trading for one with a large long contract.

it's entirely possible that Steve Francis will play elsewhere next year. I'm sure they also look at Nelson as a possible backup point guard. They really didn't give up much to get him. I'm sure they also took Nelson because they weren't at 100% sure the trade with Houston would go down.

I think they made trade for Nelson because it was a great deal for them. I really don't think it has any bearing on a McGrady trade.

Joe Mama

yotes1921

Rookie
Reaction score
You may be right, however a team that took a kid from high school first overall, is building for the future. And by giving away first round draft picks, it would make your job more difficult. However I could see them trading Francis, but Chicago was a destination that had rumors, however Chicago took a point guard in the first round, I believe that’s three in a row.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the more likely destination in a three way deal would be for the Magic to send Francis to Toronto for Vince Carter.

Francis - $11.3 million
Carter - $12.5 million

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake