My Next Mock Scenario: Cardinals Trade Down Twice and Up Once!

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Tonight BA, SK and Jason Licht are dining with QB Ryan Nassib---

The Bills and new HC Doug Marrone love Nassib. They also love Geno Smith.

Here's what happens:

1. KC takes T Eric Fisher. His Senior Bowl and Combine performances are just too stellar to ignore.

2. JAX takes Ezekial Ansah. Gus Bradley loved DE Bruce Irvin last year and wasn't afraid to take him earlier than expected. Ansah has it all over Irvin.

3. OAK received multiple trade offers, but worried that the guy they want will be taken by Philly at #4, so they stay put and select WR Tavon Austin, whom they hope will electrify their offense with WCO---style Matt Flynn at QB.

4. PHI is happy because they worried that someone was going to trade up to #3 to take Geno Smith. Instead, Smith remains on the board and is their unanimous pick. They get to groom him for a year behind Mike Vick. They will then announce that they are now willing to trade QB Nick Foles for the right price.

5. DET is ecstatic to see that LT Luke Joeckel is sitting there for them.

6. CLE gets calls from a few teams, especially from the Bills who want to move ahead of the Cardinals for QB Ryan Nassib. The Browns, however, are worried that if they trade back they could lose their guy, QB Matt Barkley. This pick will make for big drama---but, at the end of the day, Barkley is Norv Turner's new pet QB project.

7. BUF is now frantic. They didn't expect 2 QBs to go in the top 6 picks. They also know that the Cardinals have done their due diligence with QB Ryan Nassib. They call the Cardinals and agree to send the #8 and #105 (4th Round) picks in exchange for the #7. With this pick, the Bill select QB Ryan Nassib.

8. SD is now frantic, lol. But---they are. They need a LT in the worst way. They call the Cardinals and the Cardinals do a very interesting thing: they offer to trade LT Levi Brown to the Chargers for their #76 pick. CKW likes LB, as LB was his first draft pick in AZ, and played well the last 8 games of 2011. But, the Chargers' FO would rather offer the Cardinals the #11 and the #76 picks in order to take LT Lane Johnson. The Cardinals agree to the trade with 12 seconds remaining on the clock. Viewers are peed off, but intrigued when the trade is announced and Lane Johnson is draped in powder blue.

9. J-E-T-S pull of yet another shocker when they select QB E.J. Manuel of Florida St. Radio City Hall goes berserk. Jets fans are so sick of Sanchez that they are on their feet chanting Eee Jay, Eee Jay...

10. TEN sticks to its plan all along to bookend Andy Levitre at guard with G Chance Warmack, which later causes Chris Johnson in an ESPN interview with Leon Sandcastle to proclaim he is going to be the first 3,000 yard RB. Take that, Adrian Peterson!

11. AZ actually receives more trade offers, it is now time for the first pick in Keim Time: that pick is Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon.

12. MIA snags Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida...the new Sharrif of South Beach.

13. J-E-T-S---they pull off the Revis trade and select OLB Barkevious Mingo, who steps into Calvin Pace's spot.

14. CAR is amazed to find DT Star Lotolulei still available.

15. SF offers the Saints the #31, #34 and #93 picks...the Saints are able to replace the 2nd rounder they forfeited. Fearing the Rams were going to take WR Cordarrelle Patterson at #16, the 49ers swoop in and take him.

16. STL wasn't going to take Patterson there---and breathes a sigh of relief that the 49ers did not move up to take FS Kenny Vacarro. Now Vacarro can play over the top of Patterson, Boldin and Crabtree in NFC West showdowns, which may lead to more thrilling 24-24 OT ties.

17. PIT is all over Jarvis Jones on this pick, like Bill Cowher slobber on a microphone.

18. DAL feels DT Sheldon Richardson of Missouri is too good to pass up.

19. NYG lose Osi, no problem, say hello to LDE Bjoern Werner and his little friend Thorbjeorn Olesen. They hang out brahs at the Danish Riviera.

20. DA BEARS are no longer DA BEARS with Urlacher exiled and Marc Trestman as the new HC---they are now LA BEARS, very finesse and chic---so clearly they are feeling lah---tee---dah to be able to pick T Menelik Watson.

21. CIN needs a RT so they hop on D.J. Fluker.

22. STL surprises everyone here with RB Jonathan Franklin whom Jeff Fisher believes can be his Chris Johnson.

23. MIN lost Jasper Brinkley to the Cardinals, so they are delighted to have Alec Ogletree available at this spot.

24. IND bolsters its o-line with G Jonathan Cooper.

25. MIN takes the best TE in the draft in Tyler Eifert.

26. GB needs more of a pass rush and takes Damontre Moore.

27. HOU goes for an impact WR in Justin Hunter.

28. DEN is very happy to see DT Kawaan Short sitting there.

29. NE loves Eric Reid, S, LSU.

30. ATL takes Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford.

31. NO takes WR Keenan Allen, California

32. BAL takes Matt Elam, S, Florida.

The Cardinals' Complete Draft:

11. Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon
38. Datone Jones, DE, UCLA
69. David Quessenberry, G/T/C, San Jose St.
76. Brian Schwenke, C, California
103. Kiko Alonzo, LB, Oregon
105. Tavarres King, WR, Georgia
129. (from BAL for the #140, #204 picks) Nick Kasa, TE, Colorado
174. J.J. Wilcox, S, Georgia Southern

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I feel we are drafting a TE and we will not be waiting for the later rounds to do it in my opinion, second round is a TE if OL goes first

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Damn MItch you love you some Tavon Austin. #3 now???

Thats the biggest sign this draft is so weak IMO.

Percy Harvin as a prospect >>>> Tavon Austin from what I can tell and Percy went what low to mid 20s????

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
the second you said
'a team wanted to trade for Levi Brown' you lost all credibility....joking...but honestly no team is going to trade a box of crackers for him.

Dion Jordan would be a good pick, but how we can lose Levi and not draft a T 1st would be a shock.

I want Warmack or one of the top 2 T's

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I like the style. I was thinking about trades as well. What if the Cards could trade with SD so they can get their tackle, pickup a 3rd rounder. Take Jarvis/Dion Jordan in the 1st with 11th pick. Trade the newly acquired 3rd and a 5th for Brandon Albert. Use the 2nd rounder on Matt Barkley, draft OL in the 3rd.

Cards would get:
Brandon Albert
Jarvis Jones
Matt Barkley
3rd round OL

That would solve 3 very large holes while kicking Levi inside to G.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Multiple teams are looking to trade down. Few are looking to trade up. Just not the year for that.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Title changed to reflect that this is simply another Mock Scenario and not, in fact, a real trade.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
Good read, Mitch. Some good humor, and certainly some out of the box thinking. It will be interesting to see if the QBs go at the top of the draft after all the pundits saying they would not for so long. I would not be surprised, especially since the rest of the draft seems as bad as the QBs.

My comment on Buffalo moving from 8 to 7. The only team dumb enough to trade up ONE pick and give something up is...the Cardinals (Thomas Jones). If any team is willing to move down just one spot, then they do not have interest in that guy to begin with. So why would anyone move up?

Dion Jordan at 11 would be nice.

1DS

Registered
Reaction score
Good read, Mitch. Some good humor, and certainly some out of the box thinking. It will be interesting to see if the QBs go at the top of the draft after all the pundits saying they would not for so long. I would not be surprised, especially since the rest of the draft seems as bad as the QBs.

My comment on Buffalo moving from 8 to 7. The only team dumb enough to trade up ONE pick and give something up is...the Cardinals (Thomas Jones). If any team is willing to move down just one spot, then they do not have interest in that guy to begin with. So why would anyone move up?

We didn't move up or down in the draft to take Thomas jones, we stayed pat with our pick and drafted him at #6 I believe. Would have been a great pick if he actually wanted to play in AZ. We have come a ways since then.

1DS

Registered
Reaction score
Checked wiki, looks like he was taken 7th. But still, we didn't move up or down.

1DS

Registered
Reaction score

Teams trade up all the time to leapfrog another team who may want to draft a player. Happens every single year.

Example: az @ 7 wants warmack
Buff @ 8 wants Nasib
Nyj @ 8 want Nasib

Buff trades with AZ to ensure they get their man. If they don't move up, another team likely will.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2013 Biggest Draft Bust = Dion Jordan.

If the local homers up here think he is, that is saying a lot. He got buy on athletics alone and is not very intelligent. That is not going to work in the NFL.

I get that looks the part of a great athlete — perhaps an NBA small forward. That said, he was average at best during the 2012 season at Oregon. As a defensive end, he logged a grand total of five quarterback sacks on the year, helping (if you want to call it that) the Oregon Duck defense to give up 381.8 yards per game (48th nationally).

If you are thinking five sacks was a low number for a defensive end on a national championship contender in a pass-oriented conference, you’d be right. One report I read on NFL.com defended Jordan’s “box score” production by saying that he spent a considerable amount of time lining up in the slot to cover backs and tight ends. I guess this is suppose to highlight his athleticism, but what it tells me is that he is not the pass-rushing force you’d expect an NFL team to drool over and take with the second pick in the draft.

http://www.knowitallfootball.com/2013/04/08/nfl-draft-bust-watch-oregons-dion-jordan/

Drop D

Striving for the Penultimate
Reaction score

San Diego with AZ for Ryan Leaf.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I would take that draft, and run away like I stole something.

I would not do too much for 2013, but it would really setup things for 2014.

Re-sign James Sanders and that would be a serviceable team, even this year.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I would take that draft, and run away like I stole something.

I would not do too much for 2013, but it would really setup things for 2014.

Re-sign James Sanders and that would be a serviceable team, even this year.

Besides from all the QB's taken where they have NO chance of being taken, Dion Jordan would be stolen at pick #11. Na gon happen either. Those are solid picks. Wilcox as a 6th wouldn't be bad either, but he'd sit first yr. anyway.

I want to see us trade down. I hope we get some offers.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score
2013 Biggest Draft Bust = Dion Jordan.

If the local homers up here think he is, that is saying a lot. He got buy on athletics alone and is not very intelligent. That is not going to work in the NFL.

http://www.knowitallfootball.com/2013/04/08/nfl-draft-bust-watch-oregons-dion-jordan/

I'm kind of with you here. He just wasn't very productive. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

Jarvis Jones isn't a workout stud but neither was Suggs. That's who I would take in this scenario. Watch his tape and Dion Jordan and they aren't even close in terms of production and disruption.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm kind of with you here. He just wasn't very productive. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

Jarvis Jones isn't a workout stud but neither was Suggs. That's who I would take in this scenario. Watch his tape and Dion Jordan and they aren't even close in terms of production and disruption.

I agree. That Georgia Defense was loaded. Jones, Shawn Williams, Rambo, Ogletree... How did they ever let Alabama score 32 points?

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
Agreed on that...

Jarvis is the man.....as an UGA fan I am biased, but it was such a joy to know anytime the game got tight "Oh good, Jarvis is about to get us the ball back".....sack, forced fumble, tackle for loss....Jarvis always played best when it counted most.....