Nash in the record books

supernova

Rookie
Reaction score
I keep hearing about Nash "almost" breaking this or that record. I'm curious to know whether he has indeed broken any as of yet, and also what records -- if any -- you think it likely he will break before he retires. I realize the second question is impossible to answer but I'd be interested in hearing your informed opinions. Thanks!

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I dont see nash breaking too many records. Remember, he had quite a slow start and is only now, in his 30s showing his peak. The closest thing he will come to breaking will be the free throw % record. Maybe the assist record but he has a lot of work to do. If he keeps up his 3pt shooting he might bump kerr out for highest season %.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont see nash breaking too many records. Remember, he had quite a slow start and is only now, in his 30s showing his peak. The closest thing he will come to breaking will be the free throw record. Maybe the assist record but he has a lot of work to do.

he won't get close to the assist record. like you said, he just started this incredible run of basketball too late in his career to approach the ridiculous levels that Stockton and Magic achieved for their entire careers, especially in the assists department.

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
he won't get close to the assist record. like you said, he just started this incredible run of basketball too late in his career to approach the ridiculous levels that Stockton and Magic achieved for their entire careers, especially in the assists department.

don't forget about mark jackson.
i think he's 2nd all time in assist

Stargazer

Registered
Reaction score
It's not really a record, but I'm guessing he's got to be the "most improved" player over the course of a career.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not really a record, but I'm guessing he's got to be the "most improved" player over the course of a career.

I don't know. I thought he showed flashes when he was here, and early in Dallas.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
As ridiculous as it is the only record I can think of off hand that Nash has a shot of breaking is probably Skiles' single game assist record. With the pace some of the games the Suns are playing these days I don't think it's that far out of the realm of possibility.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
As ridiculous as it is the only record I can think of off hand that Nash has a shot of breaking is probably Skiles' single game assist record. With the pace some of the games the Suns are playing these days I don't think it's that far out of the realm of possibility.

I'd forgotten about that one, but that's a good point. I remember a game last season where he had a chance at it -- 20 assists late in the third, I think.

He holds the record for highest career three-point accuracy among players with at least 1000 makes. Is that worth anything?

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
A quick search reveals that he had 23 assists against the lakers in the playoffs which is one off the playoffs record. Definitely has a shot at that one.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I thought Kerr held highest career 3pt%

What is the reg season assist record?

OP
OP
S

supernova

Rookie
Reaction score
Not sure about this one either. There's a quote by Kevin Johnson where he says:

"He was the third guard behind Jason Kidd and I when he broke in with the Suns in 1996. I said time and time again, he was by far the best point guard of the three of us, even then. In practice every day, he would drill us. …"

He holds the record for highest career three-point accuracy among players with at least 1000 makes. Is that worth anything?

That's pretty cool.

I think he'll probably break the record for assists in a single game, maybe assists in a playoff game as well. Almost accomplished the latter during the Laker series last year.