Nash on Bowen: “there comes a point when you want to punch the guy in the face.”

3_blind_mice

Reaction score
SN: Who is the Bruce Bowen of the Premiership?

TH: It was Martin Keown, but he's retired. A lovely guy but just crazy.

SN: You played with him. I want to know who has his hands on you all the time.

TH: It's the little things -- stepping on your feet, running into you, an elbow when no one is looking. A guy will say, "Oh, that was an accident." But you know it wasn't.

SN: That's what I just experienced with Bruce, so I'm glad you understand.

TH: You never lose it, though. You care more about the team than yourself.

SN: But there comes a point when you want to punch the guy in the face.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=outtakes/070606

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It's sad to say it, but if I were an NBA player I'd almost want an enforcer on the bench. Then, when I shake Bowen's hand during the starting lineups, I'd point to the thug I'd say, "Keep it clean, or Mongo's going to coming and beating the crap out of you."

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
It's sad to say it, but if I were an NBA player I'd almost want an enforcer on the bench. Then, when I shake Bowen's hand during the starting lineups, I'd point to the thug I'd say, "Keep it clean, or Mongo's going to coming and beating the crap out of you."

we need to bring in Danny Fortson

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's sad to say it, but if I were an NBA player I'd almost want an enforcer on the bench.

IMO, whether the commissioner knows it or not, this is the road the NBA is heading down again. Maybe the old Detroit Pistons style is coming back with Bruce Bowen leading the pack. So much for the entertainment value and the beauty of the game.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It is hard to say, but considering the number of teams looking to build run oriented teams, I'd say there is a management constituency for cutting down the old style grab and hold defense. The rules have been changed, but the officiating heirarchy remains in denial that there is even a problem.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
nash is too much a good guy to punch someone in the face..
even if the guy is bowen..

You know Bowen will say that the guys he guards are cry babies, but when it's pretty much everyone saying your a dirty player, your a dirty player.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
what kind of threats?

he was kidding when he said it, but it was when he was getting interviewed courtside and he said something about how he had been working on the guns and was thinking about giving horry a combo punch.

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
he was kidding when he said it, but it was when he was getting interviewed courtside and he said something about how he had been working on the guns and was thinking about giving horry a combo punch.

oh yeah..

i heard that interview..
nash is a funny guy..
he even said he was sorry for horry..

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns need make a trade with The Charlestown Chiefs to bring in the Hanson brothers. Bruce would never lay a hand on another member of the Suns again.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Suns need make a trade with The Charlestown Chiefs to bring in the Hanson brothers. Bruce would never lay a hand on another member of the Suns again.

Warning. Obscure movie reference. :lol:

btimsah

My Name Is Robert!
Reaction score
Bruce Bowen makes Raja look like a saint. At least with the Kobe take-down last year it was really a fight. What Bowen does I'm fine with. It's the fact that he get's away with it that enrages me.

He's a guy that breaks the rules all the time and uses the rules to his advantage. He's in the NBA FOR HIS DEFENSE and defense alone, so if someone is trying too school him he goes "the extra mile" and starts doing dirty things. Getting under you when you shoot. Letting his legs do "unatural basketball moves which involve your crotch".

My hope is that in this serious, Lebron will annoy Bowen so much that he'll do something that will be seen (yet again) by the ever smaller NBA audience. But the problem is, the Cavs suck. And their boring.

Their the Lakers with just Kobe.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One of the things that remains unclear in the rules is exactly how much contact is permitted on the perimeter. The fact that it changes radically between the regular season and playoffs is disconterting even when generally clean. IMHO, the level of contact by Bowen far exceeds any rational definition of "incidental contact".

One obvious example of how he cuts inside the pick, no matter how close the offensive player goes by his pick man. Some people don't cut close enough to their pick man to ensure the pick works, but Nash does and yet Bowen still managed to squeeze inside even though there is no room so contact is unavoidable.

Nobody else can defense Nash that way because no one else is allowed that much contact without fouls being called.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is that the super thick glasses brothers from slapshot the hockey movie?

Yes. They looked like shorter versions of Kurt Ramblis

Trivia note, the brunette in the movie was Karen Allen who was later featured in "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One obvious example of how he cuts inside the pick, no matter how close the offensive player goes by his pick man. Some people don't cut close enough to their pick man to ensure the pick works, but Nash does and yet Bowen still managed to squeeze inside even though there is no room so contact is unavoidable.

Perhaps the player setting the pick should fall down when Bowen makes contact to emphasize the foul. I wonder if this has been tried?

Phade

Registered
Reaction score
perhaps if i ever see bowen downtown orlando he's getting dropkicked in the back of the head..