NBA Finals - Anyone give a damn???

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
Not sure if I'm the only one - I watched almost the entire playoffs, but I have watched about 10 minutes of this entire Finals , through Game 4. From the looks of it, there has not been a single competetive game. There is an average 20 pt differential per game, and neither of these teams has a charismatic superstar. Do Finals like this hurt the NBA? When 'Dancing with the Stars' beats you in the ratings you know you're headed the way of hockey.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Ive watched maybe 30 minutes total. Its just not the way I think basketball should be played, Ive always been a fan of fast paced, fluid, finesse basketball. I think finals like this do hurt the NBA- its better when two teams have clashing styles, makes things more interesting. The NBA needs another Celtics-LA type of rivalry. Maybe Spurs-Suns would work, but it wouldnt help the finals and no one east of the Mississippi would care.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
I havent watched any of the series or read any articles about the series.

All I know are the final scores, although I dont really care about those either.

Once the Suns were eliminated and the Spurs and Pistons advanced I checked out of NBA bball.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've watched maybe one, two quarters, at most, of each game. Basically, I've channel-surfed through the first three quarters of each game and I've watched NONE of the 4th quarter in any game.

Really, this Finals series is just bad entertainment.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I've watched most of every game... it's useful from the point of view figuring out how to defense the Spurs. The secret seems to be super aggressive and to help without double teaming... the last two games the Piston players have been very alert to everything happening around them when they're on D and give help or at least threaten it constantly. They've been very good at opportunistic traps, too. They're giving Duncan lots of different looks with the Wallaces and Antonio switching off and onto him frequently.

What they're doing against Ginobili and Parker is to seal the paint with everyone lending a hand if they're in position and they're switching quite readily when screened. Lindsay Hunter is doing a terrific job with whoever he's matched up against.

The Spurs look like they've gotten rattled the last two games. Hopefully, they'll raise their energy another notch and make a few adjustments so we'll get to see a competetitive game 5.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
it's terribly boring basketball. and the fact that every game is a blowout has to be killing the network and stern. maybe next year they'll put something in the cba that says the heat and suns have to play in the finals.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
If you're a true Suns fan you should be watching the Finals. Detroit is giving SA a taste of their own medicine. The Suns can learn from watching how they defend Ducan, Ginobli and Parker. They have they big man coming out on the screen and not allowing penetration. When he does get by, Detroit rotates and challenges the shot while anticipating the guard leaving his feet to find a shooter when he's trapped. They've cause multiple turnovers anticipating the kickout pass.

On Duncan they are smothering him as soon as he gets the ball and starts making a move. Slapping the ball out of his hands because he always brings it down before he makes a move. When he shoots Rasheed, Ben and McDyess challenge everything.

I watched pretty much every game and it has been defense that has won each game.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
JPlay said:
If you're a true Suns fan you should be watching the Finals. Detroit is giving SA a taste of their own medicine. The Suns can learn from watching how they defend Ducan, Ginobli and Parker. They have they big man coming out on the screen and not allowing penetration. When he does get by, Detroit rotates and challenges the shot while anticipating the guard leaving his feet to find a shooter when he's trapped. They've cause multiple turnovers anticipating the kickout pass.

On Duncan they are smothering him as soon as he gets the ball and starts making a move. Slapping the ball out of his hands because he always brings it down before he makes a move. When he shoots Rasheed, Ben and McDyess challenge everything.

I watched pretty much every game and it has been defense that has won each game.

Two problems:

1. One of our "big men" is Shawn Marion.
2. We don't have Larry Brown.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I haven't seen a minute of the finals and am very happy.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
havent watch a full min although i did check the score on the first game.

mribnik

Reaction score
I saw the second half of the first game and that was it. I like watching basketball no matter the style, but I've been pretty busy lately so I haven't watched any of it.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A big part of the reason that Detroit is doing so much better defensively than the Phoenix Suns did is the length and athleticism of their frontcourt. They essentially have three 7-footers in the frontcourt because Wallace, Wallace, and Prince have such long arms.

Joe Mama

se7en

Go SUNS Go
Reaction score
I only watched a few 5 minutes spurts here and there in the last 2 Detroit victories. My observation was that the refs are letting the Pistons completely manhandle the Spurs. In my mind this whole idea that the league was going to call the rules during the playoffs just as they had during the regular season is a complete joke. It just wasn’t worth my time to watch once I saw the Spurs players getting completely mugged with no call while on the other end they were getting very ticky-tack non-contact calls against them. The home court advantage has been taken to a whole new level in this series. After enjoying the beauty and speed of Suns basketball, I find the finals to be very ugly.

Since I’ve only watched a few minutes here and there and can only assume by the scores that the Spurs have decided not to employ the run and gun style they used against the Suns. If this is true, I’m curious as to why they wouldn’t keep doing that since it was so successful. Unless the Pistons are just that great defensively? But I don’t believe that. I think the Suns would be running the Pistons into the ground right now just as they had against everyone else.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
se7en said:
I only watched a few 5 minutes spurts here and there in the last 2 Detroit victories. My observation was that the refs are letting the Pistons completely manhandle the Spurs. In my mind this whole idea that the league was going to call the rules during the playoffs just as they had during the regular season is a complete joke. It just wasn’t worth my time to watch once I saw the Spurs players getting completely mugged with no call while on the other end they were getting very ticky-tack non-contact calls against them. The home court advantage has been taken to a whole new level in this series. After enjoying the beauty and speed of Suns basketball, I find the finals to be very ugly.

Since I’ve only watched a few minutes here and there and can only assume by the scores that the Spurs have decided not to employ the run and gun style they used against the Suns. If this is true, I’m curious as to why they wouldn’t keep doing that since it was so successful. Unless the Pistons are just that great defensively? But I don’t believe that. I think the Suns would be running the Pistons into the ground right now just as they had against everyone else.

the referees were allowing a lot of contact in yesterday's game. Early on it really seemed to take San Antonio out of its game despite the fact that they are also usually a physical basketball team. I couldn't believe some of the stuff Detroit was getting away with against Tim Duncan.

Joe Mama

Errntknght

Reaction score
Se7en, "In my mind this whole idea that the league was going to call the rules during the playoffs just as they had during the regular season is a complete joke. It just wasn’t worth my time to watch once I saw the Spurs players getting completely mugged with no call while on the other end they were getting very ticky-tack non-contact calls against them. The home court advantage has been taken to a whole new level in this series."

The question about the change in offciating for the playoffs was more specific than that - at least, in my mind. There was no question they would allow more physical play on the inside, as they have always done. The question was would they allow hand checking on the perimeter and I haven't seen that being allowed much in this series. (If anything Bowen is getting away with the most stuff but he uses all his body parts to interfere with guys moving where they want to go.) The Pistons are not hand checking Parker and Genobili - they are bodying up to them, especially Lindsay Hunter, and everyone is staying very alert to sealing them out of the paint.

I wouldn't say that it is homecourt advantage so much as it's the more active and aggressive team that is getting favorable calls, which is fairly normal in the NBA. It is dismaying when it's the Suns suffering from that but I have to admit I rather enjoy it when it's the Spurs getting a taste of their own medicine.

As far as to the Spurs not employing much running, I think it's mainly that, in the last two games at least, they are not forcing many turnovers - and Detroit is getting back on defense. Which is aided by the fact that they are staying within their offense so are positioned to get back.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now THAT was TV worth watching. Gotta hand it to the Pistons, that was pretty darn impressive.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Now THAT was TV worth watching. Gotta hand it to the Pistons, that was pretty darn impressive.

unbelievable resilience shown by the Pistons. Can everyone pretty much agree that these are the best two teams in the NBA now?

I'm pretty stoked for Game 7 - it's been a looooooooong time since we've actually had a competitive NBA Finals.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Finally, some close games!

I watched the last 2 minutes of the last 2 games.

Solid, although I still think the Suns and Heat would have been MUCH more entertaining.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
Finally, some close games!

I watched the last 2 minutes of the last 2 games.

Solid, although I still think the Suns and Heat would have been MUCH more entertaining.

it definitely would have been more entertaining, but they wouldn't be the best teams.

We're not that far off - we're the offensive equivalent of the Pistons D - the difference is that the Pistons have just enough offense to balance it out, whereas we are pretty pathetic on defense. We don't need to play Detroit type D - we just need to get a little better I think to put balance on our club.

Game 7 should be awesome - the last two games were.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
unbelievable resilience shown by the Pistons. Can everyone pretty much agree that these are the best two teams in the NBA now?

I'm pretty stoked for Game 7 - it's been a looooooooong time since we've actually had a competitive NBA Finals.

Just when I was thinking, "Man, Detroit is not getting any stops" after SA closed it to 87-86, they string 3 or 4 stops together in a row AND get scores themselves. No, we could not do that this year. I'll admit, Detroit has proven they were a better team this year than the Suns.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Just when I was thinking, "Man, Detroit is not getting any stops" after SA closed it to 87-86, they string 3 or 4 stops together in a row AND get scores themselves. No, we could not do that this year. I'll admit, Detroit has proven they were a better team this year than the Suns.

I really believe we're close though. If we just raise our D to average, we'll start winning titles - how we do that with our current lineup is the question. Maybe it's all on Amare - it'll be fun/excruciating to watch I'm sure.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
it definitely would have been more entertaining, but they wouldn't be the best teams.

Well...not only more entertaining, but my favorite team would be in the finals!

:D

:raccoon: