NBA Finals Boston vs Dallas (poll)

Who will be Champions?

• Total voters

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've thought they were the best team for 3 years now and they came up short twice already so yeah, there's no guarantees. Teams such as Philadelphia, Milwaukee and Denver should all bounce back plus there's half a dozen young teams that are getting scarier by the day. And then there's the hasbeen wannabees - Golden State, LAL and maybe even Phoenix and the Clippers that could turn back time and with a lucky addition or two, get right back into the mix. But if I were a betting man, I'd have Boston trying to repeat against OKC.
One of those professional yappers made a good observation about how different the NBA is now compared to the 80s, 90s, etc. The NBA was always, out of all the sports leagues, the most top heavy. That has finally changed. Instead of like 2, maybe 3, teams being totally dominant, you have 1/3rd of the league not that far apart really.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unlike Denver last year, Boston has had a recent finals appearance, 2 years ago, and has been to the Eastern Conference Finals 6 years in a row. This was a good team getting over the hump rather than a good team getting hot at the right time.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought OKC was in play until they met a good defense. Exciting matchup with Boston? Not so sure…
I like them a lot but young teams almost always collapse in the postseason until they rack up enough playoff experience.

I could never switch my allegiance to a team like Boston but if I were the type to just choose who I'd want to cheer for it would be OKC followed by Indiana, Orlando, New Orleans or Houston.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've thought they were the best team for 3 years now and they came up short twice already so yeah, there's no guarantees. Teams such as Philadelphia, Milwaukee and Denver should all bounce back plus there's half a dozen young teams that are getting scarier by the day. And then there's the hasbeen wannabees - Golden State, LAL and maybe even Phoenix and the Clippers that could turn back time and with a lucky addition or two, get right back into the mix. But if I were a betting man, I'd have Boston trying to repeat against OKC.
I'm just hoping beyond hope that we have a more enjoyable and less frustrating season than this season. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm just hoping beyond hope that we have a more enjoyable and less frustrating season than this season. I don't think that's too much to ask for.
Well I think it might be. Bench is still likely to be exceptionally weak and KD is one year older and more likely to mope once it is clear we are still not competitive.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Tatum is 26 and Brown is 27. This probably won't be a popular opinion, but I would take either one of them over Doncic.
I wouldn’t. They’re both better two way players but doncic, when healthy, is perhaps the most impactful offensive player in the league and he has upside still if he just rounds into shape.

Tatum and brown are fantastic players. But that entire team is extremely talented. More talented than what surrounds doncic. If I had to rank all the players in that series overall (not how they performed in the series) it would look like:

Doncic
Tatum
Brown
Kyrie/holiday
Porzingas
White
Lively
Gafford
Horford
Washington

So doncic is #1, but then 5 of the next 6 players are Celtics.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I've been beating this same drum on Luka for several years. IMO, the narrative isn't new.

He's one of the best players in the league, no question, he's also the one superstar that no one else even hints that they want to play with.

He's a phenominal individual talent... I also think he's toxic and it will be extremely hard for Dallas to build a real title contender around him.

If the Suns drafted him insteand of Ayton, expect he'd have rapidly driven Booker out of town and the team would be built around him and whatever we got from trading Booker.

As I said earlier, I think Luka probably will mature... be less confrontational with the refs, take his own conditioning more seriously, make his "team" not entirely about himself. But he isn't there yet.

For much of this series Boston's primary strategy was to target Luka as a defender, and they obliterated him in the process. He might have been Dallas' best offensive player, but he was their worst defender by a wide margin.
I think the narrative that players don’t want to play with him is tabloid reporting. But that’s the narrative and it will be up to doncic to answer his critics.

You do make good points about his defense and needing to be better as he gets older. I completely agree there.

Dallas has already built a team that can make it to the finals. And they were recently in the WCF with a similar type of roster, but this team is better. I think they will be back if they can develop their young guys and add a couple more pieces.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I wouldn’t. They’re both better two way players but doncic, when healthy, is perhaps the most impactful offensive player in the league and he has upside still if he just rounds into shape.

Tatum and brown are fantastic players. But that entire team is extremely talented. More talented than what surrounds doncic. If I had to rank all the players in that series overall (not how they performed in the series) it would look like:

Doncic
Tatum
Brown
Kyrie/holiday
Porzingas
White
Lively
Gafford
Horford
Washington

So doncic is #1, but then 5 of the next 6 players are Celtics.
Spot on.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
All the while, De'Aaron Fox was there for the taking.

In recent years, the Suns didn't make the easy picks when it comes to point guards and talent. The Suns passed on Fox, Haliburton and probably could have traded for Shai during the 2018 draft.
Though it would have been the right move with hindsight a very very small percentage of people (I think like less than 5%) would have thought fox over jackson would have been the right at the time of that draft. That wouldn’t have been the “easy” pick. Almost everyone thought there was a “big four” in that draft (ball, jackson, Tatum and fultz). Ironically fox and markenaan (and Isaac) were considered next tier. It was a really good draft with adebayo, monk, kennard, Donovan Mitchell, John collins, Jarrett allen, OG anunoby, kuzma, Derrick white, Josh hart, Dillon brooks, Monte Morris, Zach collins and Dennis smith jr (who flames out) going in the two rounds. That’s a lot talent. And 3 of the top 4 were busts. Crazy.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't agree. This series was a predictable display of Boston being better than Dallas. It played out exactly as most people expected. doncic's individual failures became a toxic narrative after game 3. Doncic is a top 5 player in the NBA and by far the mavs best player. he carries them day in and day out. In doncic's bad games he still out performs most other players on the court. I understand that he has his fair amount of haters. I would not like him if I weren't a fan of dallas. But as a mavs fan I cannot blame him in this instance. he deserves a lot credit for what he did in these playoffs. His playoff performance this year ranks right up there with Dirk's 2006 and 2011 runs in mavericks history. blaming him for the mavs shortcomings would be toxic. I wasn't trying to get off topic, but that's one of the main reasons I brought up Nash earlier in this thread. In 2004 dallas let Nash walk because Cuban thought his playoff performances did not justify matching the suns contract offer. that is the toxic management that we saw for many years by cuban and that is why dirk only had one ring in his tenure IMO. Never blame your top guys when things go wrong.
Agree. The series may have exposed some doncic shortcomings, but cmon, it was the freaking finals. They don’t sniff the second round (and maybe not even playoffs) if doncic isn’t all world. And there they are in the finals and he’s clearly somewhat hurting/injured. Criticizing doncic when he lost to a clearly superior team who had the right mix of athletes and size and defense to stymie him is kinda silly imo.

If that’s “selfish and borderline toxic basketball” well, sign me up for that.

The hate for doncic is unreal.

That said, no, a dude who went 1-4 in the finals doesn’t deserve to sniff mvp.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree. The series may have exposed some doncic shortcomings, but cmon, it was the freaking finals. They don’t sniff the second round (and maybe not even playoffs) if doncic isn’t all world. And there they are in the finals and he’s clearly somewhat hurting/injured. Criticizing doncic when he lost to a clearly superior team who had the right mix of athletes and size and defense to stymie him is kinda silly imo.
Agreed.

I also think it’s weird to say Doncic is so toxic that Dallas won’t be able to build a title contender around him when they’ve already built a title contender around him in 2 of the last 3 years, where he’s made the WCF twice and the Finals once.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think the narrative that players don’t want to play with him is tabloid reporting. But that’s the narrative and it will be up to doncic to answer his critics.

You do make good points about his defense and needing to be better as he gets older. I completely agree there.

Dallas has already built a team that can make it to the finals. And they were recently in the WCF with a similar type of roster, but this team is better. I think they will be back if they can develop their young guys and add a couple more pieces.
Yeah I tend to agree. Porzingas wanted out, but a couple of teams have passed on that guy, so I take that with a grain of salt. Not sure I’ve explicitly heard anything about anyone else. The current roster seems to enjoy playing with him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I tend to agree. Porzingas wanted out, but a couple of teams have passed on that guy, so I take that with a grain of salt. Not sure I’ve explicitly heard anything about anyone else. The current roster seems to enjoy playing with him.
And Brunson wanted to stay there and was willing to sign an extension but Dallas low-balled him:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a great shot but hasn’t anyone noticed that he traveled TWICE, prior to starting the dribble and then before the shot?
It was noticed by almost the entire world except for everyone in that arena. I didn't even notice the Mavericks going ballistic over it, which they should have.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Meh... Just last year everyone was talking about Denver's dynasty. The Celtics are not a slam dunk to repeat.

Depends on health as always. If Boston is intact they are going to win it all again. Even their 8-9th rotation guys are impactful in high pressure series. Now they have the confidence to win and will probably coast next regular season to avoid getting over-cooked. Ainge did a great job drafting over the past 10 years and even the guys like Smart, Rob Williams and Aaron Nesmith had enough value to bring in good players. Stevens took over a great situation and kept it going. Just an extremely well run organization.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If that’s “selfish and borderline toxic basketball” well, sign me up for that.

The hate for doncic is unreal.

That said, no, a dude who went 1-4 in the finals doesn’t deserve to sniff mvp.
Depends. If you think Doncic isn't going to get much better defensively and grow up? OK. I can buy that but if not? I can see the other side as well.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Depends. If you think Doncic isn't going to get much better defensively and grow up? OK. I can buy that but if not? I can see the other side as well.
I don’t even think he he needs to “get much better” defensively. Just a little. And I think that happens almost automatically if he gets into better shape. As for “growing up,” I don’t think he’s much more childish than a lot of the stars in the league. He’s at a similar level to Lebron and book imo. If you watch any game with a critical eye you see almost every star complaining incessantly these days.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t even think he he needs to “get much better” defensively. Just a little. And I think that happens almost automatically if he gets into better shape. As for “growing up,” I don’t think he’s much more childish than a lot of the stars in the league. He’s at a similar level to Lebron and book imo. If you watch any game with a critical eye you see almost every star complaining incessantly these days.
I don't think it's like going from worst to best or anything but I think anytime the opposing team's strategy is to target you it has to be a tad above a "little".

djm75

Rookie
Reaction score
Why bother to dribble anymore if the referees are not going to call it. It was such an obvious call.
Exactly, and the ref was right there, less than ten feet away.
That’s one of the main reasons I enjoy NBA less and less these days - it’s travel travel carry travel travel carry carry carry travel.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought OKC was in play until they met a good defense. Exciting matchup with Boston? Not so sure…

OKC was so inexperienced that they didn't get to the finals wasn't a surprise. But they have a ton of solid pieces.

I kind of expect them to take more of a leap next year than Minnesota does

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not too much to ask for but my experience was a little different than yours. I had low expectations for that team and never really bought into it. So to me it was more a boring season than a frustrating one. I'd try to get my hopes up every now and then but it just wasn't sustainable with that heavily unbalanced roster we'd put together.