New Rules for Playing Defense

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There was a small piece about his in the Republic, but this article is more complete.

Akron Beacon Journal:James should rule lanes to hoop with official help

NBA changes how defenders are allowed to set up. That should help Cavaliers

By Brian Windhorst

Beacon Journal staff writer

CLEVELAND - Concerned about the continued drop-off in scoring, the NBA is changing some rule interpretations this season.

One of the biggest beneficiaries might be LeBron James.

NBA officials are briefing the teams that they'll be changing the way defensive fouls are called. The use of the forearm to hold off or restrict an offensive player's progress will be called a foul this season. Officials will be enforcing it from halfcourt to the three-point arc and on moves to the basket.

In addition, drawing a charge will become tougher as the defender must not be moving. Though that is a basic basketball rule, NBA officials in recent years have called charges as long as the defender has position. It allowed quicker players to sneak to a spot and take a charge while still moving.

The motive here is to give offensive players more freedom to move with the basketball and, thus, create more points.

``They told us at the coaches' meeting that the defender's arm has to be close to the body,'' Cavaliers coach Paul Silas said. ``If you extend it, then tweet! A foul.''

Silas, who is a defensive-oriented coach, doesn't exactly like the new guidelines, but it might help his best scorer.

James plays the wing position and gets most of his points going to the basket. One of the ways opponents tried to stop him last season was bashing him or trying to draw a charge as he made his move.

Players will be briefed on the new interpretations before their preseason game this week in Memphis.

``I think it will help the league. I think it will help defense, too, because people are going to have to move their feet more,'' James said. ``Offensively, I think it will help a lot of us perimeter guys.''

Last season James often struggled to get calls in certain situations, which is common for rookies. He's hoping earning some respect along with the new guidelines will mean more trips to the foul line.

``You have to earn some respect in this league before you get calls,'' James said. ``Of course, I'm going to want to get as many calls as I can.''

Silas expects players in the league to adjust to the new rules but does think that it might make a minor impact.

``How are you going to stop (LeBron)?'' Silas said. ``If you put your hand out to stop him, it has to be a foul, and I'll make sure they enforce it.''

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love these new rules. Well, they aren't exactly new rules. The league has just decided to enforce the rules already in place. Most of you know how much I hated the way that charges and other offensive fouls were called in the last several years. I really hope the officials stick to these changes.

Even though these rules will inevitably make defense more difficult they showed really help a fast and athletic team like the Phoenix Suns. In other words I think the positive effect on the offensive game will outweigh the negative effects on the defensive game for this team. I may just to see how it affects a team like the Detroit Pistons or even the Utah Jazz who basically mug and manhandle opponents defensively.

I thought I read somewhere that they were also going to allow offensive players to use their off arm more freely to fend off defenders. However I can't find anything about that now. Maybe I misread that yesterday.

These changes are long overdue.

Joe Mama

scotsman13

Reaction score
yes enforcing these rules will help the play in the nba. heck i think that these rules may help amare a lot. his game is driving to the basket from the post more then about anything. if there is very little chance that he can get a charge and they cant put a forearm on it there maybe no way he can be stopped short of a foul.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I don't like it becouse it is all about the one -on -one again instead of team play and mid range shooting all it does is play to the talent that is in the NBA right now.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
These rule "changes" are to re-establish O'Neal as the league's marquee player. Now he can go back to running everyone over with impunity. Big fun.

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
These rule "changes" have nothing to do with Shaq; they largely protect the slasher-type player who drives to the basket from being called for an offensive foul when the defender clearly steps in at the last second. The forearm rule *might* affect him, but usually with Shaq it's body to body contact in the post. This will have little or no bearing on Shaquille O'Neal.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The forearm rule *might* affect him, but usually with Shaq it's body to body contact in the post. This will have little or no bearing on Shaquille O'Neal.

We'll see.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We only play him twice...let him run ass wild I don't care.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Suns better get another Center quick :wave: Jake Voskuhl could lead league again in personal fouls or per 48 min? Whichever it was...

I suppose most of his fouls are on moving screens - it's been a while since I've seen Voskuhl... I've been watching Suns games at end of the year when Lampe actually played (whom I believe will have a decent to good year). He moves his feet well, has size, can shoot lights out, runs the court - I'm not looking for shotblocking but rebounding is area he needs to improve on, based on last year.

I was watching Suns/Clippers game last night (last home game of season) - I've got my head pound (whatever you call it) down from Quentin Richardson... ready for season :thumbup:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
scoutmasterdave said:
These rule "changes" have nothing to do with Shaq; they largely protect the slasher-type player who drives to the basket from being called for an offensive foul when the defender clearly steps in at the last second. The forearm rule *might* affect him, but usually with Shaq it's body to body contact in the post. This will have little or no bearing on Shaquille O'Neal.

I agree. These rule changes have nothing to do with Shaquille O'Neal. When he runs people over they are rarely moving their feet. The forearm rule only applies to players moving along the baseline and from the half-court line to the free-throw line.

Joe Mama

StatsAmare

Playin' 110%
Reaction score
I might be the new guy, but all I see here is an opportunity for Amare to have alot more freedom to get inside and do what he does best.:D

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
StatsAmare said:
I might be the new guy, but all I see here is an opportunity for Amare to have alot more freedom to get inside and do what he does best.:D
Welcome to the board how did you find us?

StatsAmare

Playin' 110%
Reaction score
I was looking at the AZCentral board and got tired of all the $#!t talking they were doing. I came across this board and have been reading it for about a month and although there are some heated debates at least here people have legitimate views and for the most part people here are respectful of opinions, so kudos to all!:cheers:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the message board.

I only hope that these rules carry through the regular season and into the playoffs. It would be nice if there was some consistency for once between the regular season and the playoffs.

Joe Mama

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Less charges and hooking on the post will make it impossible to stop Amare if they enforce that. That's wonderful as long as Amare doesn't pick up more fouls on defense as well.

StatsAmare

Playin' 110%
Reaction score
in all honesty, I'd like to see him get a couple more fouls, if they are because of tighter defence and not young player mistakes. IMHO

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
StatsAmare said:
in all honesty, I'd like to see him get a couple more fouls, if they are because of tighter defence and not young player mistakes. IMHO

A couple more fouls would put him out of every game ;)

I agree that I wouldn't mind the same number of fouls, as long as the intensity fouls replaced the stupid mistakes.

Doesn't really matter though, either this season or next Amare will reach superstar status, and the foul impunity it is associated with :cool:

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It struck me that Jerry may have been the instigator of these changes. I'm not sure he would take credit for it, but I can't think of team that will benefit more (assuming these rules are enforced) than the Suns.

1. It gives more freedom to guys who attack the basket: Stoudemire, Richardson, Marion, and Johnson should all benefit.

2. The Suns were frequently victimized by charging calls. By contrast, Jake couldn't get anyone to call charges when he was on defense.

3. Teams that rely on physical defense will get into the foul trouble, but the Suns are notably passive. :rolleyes: Jerry might be saying, "If we can't play defense, then no one should be allowed to play defense." :thumbup:

4. I agree that it may open things up a little bit for great "one on one" guys, but not as much as might seem. The press zone used by the Pistons against Kobe was not really physical, it just cut off the angle to the basket.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
StatsAmare said:

Welcome...

I'll have Wendy's Chicken Strips and French Fries :thumbup:

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
how in the hell are teams going to defend anybody in the post now?

you cant put your forearm onto someone? Say hello to Amare averaging 50 ppg.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
No forearm facing the player, actually I haven't read rules but if it's the old rules that are going to be enforced... or when player is facing basket, if thats easier to understand...

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm sure good footwork will still pay but off, but shot blockers are going to be even more important than ever. One part of my "Jerry plot" is that they announced this new rule interpretation AFTER the Suns signed Hunter. Coincidence? :D

I think we are going to see more zoning, but it may not be that effective against the Suns with Nash available to take open three's. But most teams that play man defense will not be able to stop the Suns without fouling.

Is 105 ppg out of reach?

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
BbaLL_31 said:
No forearm facing the player, actually I haven't read rules but if it's the old rules that are going to be enforced... or when player is facing basket, if thats easier to understand...

Got ya. I must have mis-read that. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05