Niners new stadium plans

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Not even close to UoP but have to say i quite like the look of it. Not sure how good it will 'feel' with open corners and the exec boxes down one side though.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Did they finally decide on Santa Clara, home of Great America? That battle has been going on for years and years.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
it sounds like its not even close to being built

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
The citizens of Santa Clara will vote on it next spring.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The citizens of Santa Clara will vote on it next spring.

Wow, it has to be tough to pass any sort of tax support for a stadium in this current economy. I mean, California was just dishing out IOUs.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, it has to be tough to pass any sort of tax support for a stadium in this current economy. I mean, California was just dishing out IOUs.

Was, they still are. The news reports last night were they had almost reached a deal, but this morning the deal is off, couldn't agree on schools because Prop 98 blocks them from doing what they'd agreed to do. I guess when the legislators don't know the state laws it makes things tougher.

I'd be surprised if it passes, everyone wants the 49ers of course, but it's a NIMBY thing they're terrified of more traffic. I keep reading/hearing that people are afraid of the crime that a stadium will bring, drives me nuts. People just don't get the cause and effect, stadiums used to always be high crime areas but not because the stadium caused it, but because they tended to build stadiums where land was cheap, and that tended to be in low income neighborhoods with crime. That's why the Oakland A's and the White Sox etc were well known for stadiums in high crime areas, it's where the land was cheap.

There is no cheap land in Santa Clara anymore, not much at least, the area they're talking about is not exactly a high crime area and I bet a stadium wouldn't be either but opponents of it are using crime to scare people from voting yes.

I do have to admit as bad as the economy is here it seems crazy to spend money on moving an NFL team here, I guess it brings jobs.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Russ is right, it will have a hard time passing. They've been trying to get a new stadium built for YEARS, and nothing happens. Too much red tape/political wrangling in the bay area to get stuff done. The Giants had targeted China Basin (the location of their "new" stadium.. not so new by now) as far back as the 70's as a site to build a new stadium to replace the horrible Candlestick Park. But it took until the 21st century for it to see the light of day.

young tone

5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!!!
Reaction score
Its definitely going to have a hard time passing but it is California so thats going to be expected.

I really hope it passes. I love Candlestick Park, alot of memories and hall of famers on that field but the 49ers need a new stadium. Very excited about this since the city council voted yes on it and now its up to the public vote whether to break ground or not. If I was Jed York and the rest of the 49er organization, I would continue with the door to door approach and try to show Santa Clara residents that its not going to touch the city's general fund, nor raise taxes. Tax on the hotels and some redevolopment money is already letting the NIMBY's use the scare tactic. We'll see next spring ...Also the Raiders might eventually be "sharing" the stadium with us, which sucks but I just personally want a new stadium for this team ...

I havent been here for a while but football season is coming up, good luck with your team in the upcoming year and cant wait for our matchup again on week 1 :thumbup:

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Looks like a glorified high school stadium. It doesn't look like itd have a significant home field advantage, not like seattles dump, anyway.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Thanks Young, good luck to you guys as well, still hope we beat the crap out of you guys twice next year. :D

Not sure if anyone has noticed, but this new stadium looks just like Sun Devil Stadium, from the boxes/press area to the open concourse. Of course sans the solar panels and green roof.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Young, good luck to you guys as well, still hope we beat the crap out of you guys twice next year. :D

Not sure if anyone has noticed, but this new stadium looks just like Sun Devil Stadium, from the boxes/press area to the open concourse. Of course sans the solar panels and green roof.
I thought the same thing about SDS.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
looks cool, don't know how the sound will be in that stadium though....

also, I want the Cardinals to start doing the huuuuge player banners on the outer part of the stadium like other teams like the Eagles and the banner of Frank Gore in that picture. I think it is really cool looking.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I dont know how that'd look in our stadium, there isn't really a place outside to hang them on. I would prefer them inside, theres a ton of plain-ol concrete inside the stadium.

I do, however, want to start a section called "Beanie's *******," where we all wear ponchos and big hats. Whos w/ me?!?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if it passes, everyone wants the 49ers of course, but it's a NIMBY thing they're terrified of more traffic. I keep reading/hearing that people are afraid of the crime that a stadium will bring, drives me nuts. People just don't get the cause and effect, stadiums used to always be high crime areas but not because the stadium caused it, but because they tended to build stadiums where land was cheap, and that tended to be in low income neighborhoods with crime. That's why the Oakland A's and the White Sox etc were well known for stadiums in high crime areas, it's where the land was cheap.

There is no cheap land in Santa Clara anymore, not much at least, the area they're talking about is not exactly a high crime area and I bet a stadium wouldn't be either but opponents of it are using crime to scare people from voting yes.

Yeah, that was the argument against the Cardinals stadium I hated the most as well. I remember the lady in Mesa saying building a stadium there would bring "prostitutes" into the area. Yeah, I know everytime I've ever been to an NFL game, the ****** just surround the stadium. :sarcasm: :bang:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I do, however, want to start a section called "Beanie's *******," where we all wear ponchos and big hats. Whos w/ me?!?

Hmm...maybe my intuition is off here, but my guess is that this one won't catch on.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am for the idea that "We do this together" means no individuals get their pictures on the outside.

:)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont know how that'd look in our stadium, there isn't really a place outside to hang them on. I would prefer them inside, theres a ton of plain-ol concrete inside the stadium.

LOL.

That's aint happening. You're more likely to see 'Beanie's Babies' a section with babies and toddlers w/ their parents in it.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
LOL.

That's aint happening. You're more likely to see 'Beanie's Babies' a section with babies and toddlers w/ their parents in it.

Or even better, Beanie Babes, hot women with Beanie related tank tops.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its definitely going to have a hard time passing but it is California so thats going to be expected.

I really hope it passes. I love Candlestick Park, alot of memories and hall of famers on that field but the 49ers need a new stadium. Very excited about this since the city council voted yes on it and now its up to the public vote whether to break ground or not. If I was Jed York and the rest of the 49er organization, I would continue with the door to door approach and try to show Santa Clara residents that its not going to touch the city's general fund, nor raise taxes. Tax on the hotels and some redevolopment money is already letting the NIMBY's use the scare tactic. We'll see next spring ...Also the Raiders might eventually be "sharing" the stadium with us, which sucks but I just personally want a new stadium for this team ...

I havent been here for a while but football season is coming up, good luck with your team in the upcoming year and cant wait for our matchup again on week 1 :thumbup:

I like the openess of the main entry. Makes you wonder how they are going to collect tickets however. It doesn't look like they have any gates there.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only person who is not impressed with this stadium? I bet it's going to cost a ton and it is not that impressive IMO (comparing to newer venues or others planned).

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only person who is not impressed with this stadium? I bet it's going to cost a ton and it is not that impressive IMO (comparing to newer venues or other planned).

I'm with you.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Am I the only person who is not impressed with this stadium? I bet it's going to cost a ton and it is not that impressive IMO (comparing to newer venues or others planned).

Meh - it's a concept drawing that is an Architect's wet dream. They don't need gates because it will screw up the "open feeling" of the building.

It will change a lot before the final plans are done. I bet they fill in that open corner, put in a ring of luxery boxes, and perhaps dump the office rental idea. Green roof may be a requirement (CBC I think is going to require all buildings to be LEED Certified), as well as the solar panels.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There's plenty of open space in Los Angeles