- Joined
- May 8, 2002
- Posts
- 399,164
- Reaction score
- 43
Another $4 million in New Jersey taxpayer dollars will help fund the upcoming FIFA Club World Cup tournament at MetLife Stadium.
According to the resolution approved by the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority on Thursday morning, the $4 million is part of that appropriation and will be used to “assist MetLife Stadium with securing and hosting upcoming FIFA Club World Cup 2025 matches.”
This summer's event features club teams from professional leagues across the globe. The FIFA World Cup matches coming to New Jersey in 2026 will feature national teams.
NJSEA Commissioner Marguerite “Peg” Schaffer questioned authority attorney Adam Levy as to what the money was needed for given the fact that the Club World Cup matches had already been secured.
Levy said the “commitment was made in advanced negotiations with FIFA and the stadium” and that since FIFA is hosting both this summer’s Club World Cup and next summer’s World Cup, it is an “ongoing process.”
When Schaffer asked what FIFA will do with the $4 million, Levy said his understanding is that “this is a regular part of securing these types of premiere premium events.”
“It’s a competitive process so in order to incentivize FIFA bringing tournaments like Club World Cup, the semifinals, the final match, here to the stadium, here to New Jersey, the sort of positive economic impact it brings, this is the consideration for bringing those tournaments here,” Levy said.
Though there has not been an official study of the tournament's potential economic impact on the region, Levy expects it to be “significantly more” than the hundreds of millions of dollars estimated by other host cities.
The authority received $30 million in the fiscal year 2025 budget — which runs from July 1, 2024 until June 30, 2025 — for “International Events, Improvements and Attraction.”
Authority President Nick Mammano noted that, with this resolution, the NJSEA had “exhausted those funds.”
More: As political volatility escalates, so do preparations for the FIFA 2026 World Cup in NJ
There will be nine matches this summer, including two semifinals and the final, in East Rutherford. SE Palmeiras, FC Porto, Fluminense FC, Borussia Dortmund, Al Ahly FC and Ulsan HD will play their group-stage games at MetLife. It runs from June 14 to July 13.
The NJSEA will provide support through fire and emergency services, as the authority is responsible for the Meadowlands complex that includes the stadium, but the contract for the tournament itself is between MetLife and FIFA, following the format of concerts and other sporting events that take place at the stadium.
Many are considering this year’s tournament as a test run for the FIFA World Cup 2026, which will take place in part at MetLife as well.
It’s unclear whether the immigration and border security initiatives of the Trump administration will impact the crowds trying to attend either tournament, but President Donald Trump did attend the Club World Cup draw in December and said he “will try to be there.”
Trump has hosted FIFA president Gianni Infantino at his Mar-a-Lago Club and the White House. Infantino also attended Trump's second inauguration.
Katie Sobko covers the New Jersey Statehouse. Email: [email protected]
This article originally appeared on NorthJersey.com: NJSEA approves more funding for 2025 FIFA Club World Cup
Continue reading...
According to the resolution approved by the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority on Thursday morning, the $4 million is part of that appropriation and will be used to “assist MetLife Stadium with securing and hosting upcoming FIFA Club World Cup 2025 matches.”
This summer's event features club teams from professional leagues across the globe. The FIFA World Cup matches coming to New Jersey in 2026 will feature national teams.
NJSEA Commissioner Marguerite “Peg” Schaffer questioned authority attorney Adam Levy as to what the money was needed for given the fact that the Club World Cup matches had already been secured.
You must be registered for see images attach
Levy said the “commitment was made in advanced negotiations with FIFA and the stadium” and that since FIFA is hosting both this summer’s Club World Cup and next summer’s World Cup, it is an “ongoing process.”
When Schaffer asked what FIFA will do with the $4 million, Levy said his understanding is that “this is a regular part of securing these types of premiere premium events.”
“It’s a competitive process so in order to incentivize FIFA bringing tournaments like Club World Cup, the semifinals, the final match, here to the stadium, here to New Jersey, the sort of positive economic impact it brings, this is the consideration for bringing those tournaments here,” Levy said.
Though there has not been an official study of the tournament's potential economic impact on the region, Levy expects it to be “significantly more” than the hundreds of millions of dollars estimated by other host cities.
The authority received $30 million in the fiscal year 2025 budget — which runs from July 1, 2024 until June 30, 2025 — for “International Events, Improvements and Attraction.”
Authority President Nick Mammano noted that, with this resolution, the NJSEA had “exhausted those funds.”
More: As political volatility escalates, so do preparations for the FIFA 2026 World Cup in NJ
Who will play in the 2025 FIFA Club World Cup?
There will be nine matches this summer, including two semifinals and the final, in East Rutherford. SE Palmeiras, FC Porto, Fluminense FC, Borussia Dortmund, Al Ahly FC and Ulsan HD will play their group-stage games at MetLife. It runs from June 14 to July 13.
The NJSEA will provide support through fire and emergency services, as the authority is responsible for the Meadowlands complex that includes the stadium, but the contract for the tournament itself is between MetLife and FIFA, following the format of concerts and other sporting events that take place at the stadium.
Many are considering this year’s tournament as a test run for the FIFA World Cup 2026, which will take place in part at MetLife as well.
It’s unclear whether the immigration and border security initiatives of the Trump administration will impact the crowds trying to attend either tournament, but President Donald Trump did attend the Club World Cup draw in December and said he “will try to be there.”
Trump has hosted FIFA president Gianni Infantino at his Mar-a-Lago Club and the White House. Infantino also attended Trump's second inauguration.
Katie Sobko covers the New Jersey Statehouse. Email: [email protected]
This article originally appeared on NorthJersey.com: NJSEA approves more funding for 2025 FIFA Club World Cup
Continue reading...