No need for Amaré while West is weak

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Paola Boivin
Republic columnist
Dec. 13, 2005 12:00 AM

The Western Conference looks like it spent the off-season in a martini shaker. The Clippers rule, the Rockets stink and the drink of choice in Sacramento is Rick Adelman on the rocks.

With a twist.

The twist is that this topsy-turvy conference is lacking muscle. Credit the Suns with overachieving, but recognize, too, that this team will benefit from a less imposing lineup of Western opponents than the ones in 2004-05.

In other words, if there's such a thing as a good time to lose Amaré Stoudemire, this is it.

"I don't buy that," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said before Monday's 91-87 loss to New Orleans at America West Arena. "It may be different names, but there are a lot of strong teams."

That's what D'Antoni is supposed to say, but outside of San Antonio, who in the West really strikes fear in the heart of NBA opponents?

The Los Angeles Clippers?

Are they a feared foe or just a cute story that is giving courtside fan Penny Marshall more airtime than she's had in years?

Elton Brand and Sam Cassell are an impressive one-two punch, but it won't be long before Cassell's 36-year-old back and a difficult schedule get in the way.

How about all those teams that were supposed to be good?

Sacramento enters tonight's game against Minnesota with a 9-12 record and a coach who is hearing team president Geoff Petrie say things such as, "Rick is our coach until he is no longer our coach."

Nice.

The Rockets missed Tracy McGrady, but his absence wasn't the only explanation for a 7-12 start.

It's too early to judge the efforts of new SuperSonics coach Bob Weiss, but it's clear the departures of Jerome James and Antonio Daniels have slowed Seattle more than the team expected. That the Sonics are excited about the prospect of improving to 10-10 with a victory over Golden State tonight says something.

And it isn't "postseason success."

Nate McMillan, we hardly knew you, and, by the way, how's Portland?

Remember the glory of last season, when teams actually had to be among the elite to gain home-court advantage in the first round? Not anymore. This year, the Suns could be one of those teams, even with Monday's loss to New Orleans, a group that came into America West Arena with a five-game losing streak and a surprising amount of moxie.

"I think by the end of the year, a lot of the (struggling teams) will be back," D'Antoni said. "(The Kings) will be back. Houston will be back.

"Overall, the conference is just as strong. Maybe the top six aren't as strong, but if you look at everybody . . . "

Maybe.

Or maybe it just feels that way when you're fighting for your life with your all-everything superstar out until at least February.

Stoudemire surely didn't like what he saw Monday. Chris Paul and J.R. Smith offer hope for the overachieving Hornets, but the Suns shouldn't be losing to this team at America West Arena on a day's rest - even with Leandro Barbosa and James Jones sidelined. D'Antoni said as much afterward.

If that criticism sounds crazy considering how low expectations were when Stoudemire went down, well, the Suns should consider that a compliment.

Their early season efforts have raised the bar.

Considering the lack of brawn in the Western Conference this season, reaching that bar could take them places.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/columns/articles/1213boivin1213.html

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
This article along with the quote in a corresponding AZREP article in which BC claims they will make a trade to shore up the frontline INCASE Amare does nto return this season causes me some concern. To me it seems like some reporters know more than they are letting on about his rehab and the likelihood of him returning this season is slim. I am worried and it seems, typical Suns, they are starting to guard the fans for the upcoming let down. Anyone heard any evididence to the contrary about his rehab...?

I know im going to get bashed for being pessimisstic, looking into things and speculative but this dark cloud will not leave from above my head...

I dont think he is coming back this season and i think all the right people already know this fact.....

jibikao

Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
This article along with the quote in a corresponding AZREP article in which BC claims they will make a trade to shore up the frontline INCASE Amare does nto return this season causes me some concern. To me it seems like some reporters know more than they are letting on about his rehab and the likelihood of him returning this season is slim. I am worried and it seems, typical Suns, they are starting to guard the fans for the upcoming let down. Anyone heard any evididence to the contrary about his rehab...?

I know im going to get bashed for being pessimisstic, looking into things and speculative but this dark cloud will not leave from above my head...

I dont think he is coming back this season and i think all the right people already know this fact.....

The truth is by the time Amare comes back, we don't know how long it will take him to gel with the team and how much he can do. The injury he had can end a player's career. Amare needs time to get back to his old shape (mainly last season's shape).

So I think Suns would be in a better shape if they play as if Amare isn't coming back. Of course we miss Amare but **** happens. Bad luck again I guess. sigh

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Anyone heard any evididence to the contrary about his rehab...?

I've heard evidence of the contrary. Talked with Phil Weber of the Suns coaching staff and he said Amare is a freak of nature and is progressing along really well.

I think the reason why the Suns are coming out and saying that they will make a trade to shore up the frontcourt in case Amare doesn't come back is keep fans coming to the arena. As a GM or an owner, you never want to tell your fan base that "We will have to compete next year for the title, because we don't see ourselves going far this year". Though it may be true, coming out and saying such things is a sure-fire way of reducing ticket sales and revenue. They have to show Phoenix that they are still committed, Amare or no Amare. They are just having to plan a little ahead just in case.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
rather make a trade for a post player, keep amare out this year so he's 100% fully healed by next season, and have the happy luxury of having amare and whomever we traded for in the post along with kurt next season.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
rather make a trade for a post player, keep amare out this year so he's 100% fully healed by next season, and have the happy luxury of having amare and whomever we traded for in the post along with kurt next season.

I tend to agree with this line of thinking but if he can play and not damage it any further, i want him in there....we have seen all too much how unforseen circumstances can end title windows....we cant assume that everything will be status quo next year either....

hopefully he can come back and be a stud player again this season but im not holding my breath....to much wishful thinking....

Honestly im just pissed this happened when it did....we would be title favs right now with our best player:mad:

Cant god shine a little sun on me??? Its beena rough sports year for an AZ fan like myself....

Shawty

Veteran
Reaction score
This article is horribly inaccurate in assumin' the West is weak because the names have changed. The East has strengthened this season but the West is anything but "weak". The Clips are INDEED a formidable force. They have a good frontcourt, vet leadership and a strong defense. The Mavericks are improved and capable. The Grizz aren't terrible. The Nuggets are STILL dangerous on many occasions. And although the Rockets are strugglin', it's a LOOOONG season and they still have T-Mac. I don't think they are the force everyone expected but they still have one of the best players in the league. Even Minny and LA is improvin'.

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
All you have to do is listen to Amare. He said he is ahead of schedule and hasn't felt pain in several weeks, He still has a month and a half to get every thing into shape. I think he will be back as planned around the all star break and could take us about 2 weeks to get the chemistry to gether and he will be fine. the knee has to be at a 90 degree angle before the new cartlidge even comes into play, You all have my word he will be fine :thumbup:

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
zett said:
All you have to do is listen to Amare. He said he is ahead of schedule and hasn't felt pain in several weeks, He still has a month and a half to get every thing into shape. I think he will be back as planned around the all star break and could take us about 2 weeks to get the chemistry to gether and he will be fine. the knee has to be at a 90 degree angle before the new cartlidge even comes into play, You all have my word he will be fine :thumbup:

Good, i feel better now
:D

nowagimp

Reaction score
Shawty said:
This article is horribly inaccurate in assumin' the West is weak because the names have changed. The East has strengthened this season but the West is anything but "weak". The Clips are INDEED a formidable force. They have a good frontcourt, vet leadership and a strong defense. The Mavericks are improved and capable. The Grizz aren't terrible. The Nuggets are STILL dangerous on many occasions. And although the Rockets are strugglin', it's a LOOOONG season and they still have T-Mac. I don't think they are the force everyone expected but they still have one of the best players in the league. Even Minny and LA is improvin'.

I agree, two of the teams identified as top 4 teams in the east, indiana and miami have or are in the process of self-destructing. The clippers look strong as anyone in the east, except the pistons and the spurs are at the top. The cavs have a porous defense(near last in opp FG%), and dont look good against +500 teams, and the bucks were handled by the clips at home. The Mavericks have also beaten the pistons. I dont know but the west sure doesnt seem so weak. This writer did not study the results so far this year in the league.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05