Novak Djokovic survives muscle tear and Taylor Fritz comeback to win dramatic five-set match

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Novak Djokovic is through to the fourth round of the Australian Open after overcoming a muscle tear to beat Taylor Fritz in five sets. Djokovic looked set for a comfortable night after winning the opening two sets 7-6, 6-4. But the world No 1 slipped on the 'Melbourne' sign in the opening game of the third set and required off court treatment for an abdominal issue. With Djokovic struggling to move to his right side and hit forehands, Fritz elevated his game and took full advantage to win the third set 6-3 and break early in the fourth. At around 12:30 (GMT) play was suspended to allow the crowd to leave Rod Laver Arena due to a curfew imposed by the state of Victoria. Following the 10 minute delay, Djokovic's level improved but he was unable to break Fritz and the American forced a deciding set. However, just when it seemed the match was in Fritz's hands, Djokovic broke to lead 4-2 in the final set and the eight-time champion raced away to complete victory and roar with delight when his opponent's backhand went long on the final point. "I don't know, I know it's a tear of the muscle so I don't know if I'll be able to recover in two days," Djokovic said afterwards. "I don't know if I'll step out on court or not. I'm very proud of my achievement tonight, let's see what happens tomorrow. I just tried to stay in there, I was hopeful whatever is happening there is going to feel better. "Towards the end of the fourth, it started to feel a bit better. "Third and fourth sets I don't know, I just served and couldn't do a lot on the return, just going through my shots. "This is definitely one of the more special wins of my life. It doesn't matter what round it is, the circumstances to pull this win through is definitely something I'll remember forever."

Continue reading...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser