O-Dog Breaks wrist / Orlando Hudson

ThunderCard

Reaction score
PHOENIX (AP)—A difficult loss proved even more costly for the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Second baseman Orlando Hudson broke his left wrist trying to tag Brian McCann during the sixth inning of the Atlanta Braves’ 11-4 win Saturday night and could miss the rest of the season.

Arizona manager Bob Melvin said Hudson will be re-evaluated on Sunday and a decision will be made about whether he needs surgery.

“If he has the surgery he’s out the rest of the year,” Melvin said. “If he doesn’t, there’s still a chance he could be out the rest of the year. It’s a blow.”

Hudson tore ligaments in the same wrist last September and missed the Diamondbacks’ final 21 regular-season games and the playoffs.

“We all feel for him,” Melvin said. “He’s a guy who goes out there every day, gives you 100 percent every day and is one of the leaders of this team emotionally and on the field. It’s very disappointing for him and us.”

Series at a GlanceAtlanta 6
Arizona 4
Thu, Aug 7 - Final
Atlanta 11
Arizona 6
Fri, Aug 8 - Final
Atlanta 11
Arizona 4
Sat, Aug 9 - Final
Atlanta at
Arizona
Sun, Aug 10 - 4:10 pm ET
Hudson was attempting to tag out Brian McCann on a wild play in the middle of the Braves’ seven-run sixth inning.

“He went for the ball and didn’t see me and his hand went into my stomach,” McCann said. “You could tell right away something was wrong.”

McCann hit his team-leading 21st home run and drove in four runs, two coming in the sixth inning, moments before Hudson’s injury.

Mark Kotsay was 3-for-5 with a double and Jair Jurrjens allowed seven hits over six innings for the Braves, who have won four of their last five including the first three of four games in Arizona.

Jurrjens (11-7) allowed four runs—three earned—with two walks and six strikeouts to snap a personal two-game losing streak.

Stephen Drew went 2-for-5 with a double and a triple for the Diamondbacks, who have dropped four straight, their worst streak in two months.

The Diamondbacks took a 3-2 lead with a pair of runs in the bottom of the fifth. But everything unraveled in the sixth when Atlanta scored seven runs on five hits, a walk, a hit batter and three errors.

Omar Infante reached safely on an infield single against Dan Haren, Mark Kotsay doubled and Kelly Johnson hit a double just inside the first-base bag and into right field to score two and put Atlanta back ahead 4-3.

Arizona Diamondbacks' Orlando …

AP - Aug 9, 10:40 pm EDT
Haren (12-6) also surrendered a bloop single to Jurrjens before he was pulled in favor of reliever Juan Cruz. Cruz walked Gregor Blanco and hit Yunel Escobar in the forearm with the bases loaded, scoring Johnson to make it 5-3.

Cruz struck out Chipper Jones before McCann hit a two-run single off Mark Reynolds’ glove and into left field. Reynolds threw wildly back to Stephen Drew at the third-base bag as Escobar slid in from second for an error, and McCann took off for second. Cruz fielded Reynolds’ throw home and then threw wildly to second trying to stop McCann from advancing, leading to Hudson’s injury and allowing Escobar to score to make it 8-3.

Atlanta wasn’t finished. Cruz made his second error of the inning, throwing the ball into foul territory in left as McCann stole third and trotted home for a 9-3 Braves lead.

Haren went 5 2-3 innings, his shortest outing since April 23, and allowed five runs and a season-worst ten hits with three walks and five strikeouts.

“I made a mistake in the first that put us in a hole and then battled the entire night,” Haren said. “I caught a couple of tough breaks there in the sixth and couldn’t hold the lead.”

Umpire Brian Knight, left, cal…

AP - Aug 9, 10:38 pm EDT
McCann’s first-inning homer gave Atlanta a 2-0 lead four batters into the game. The Diamondbacks answered with one in the fourth and two in the fifth on RBI grounders by Alex Romero and Conor Jackson and a Chad Tracy sacrifice fly.

“He’s one of the best pitchers in the game,” McCann said of Haren. “Anytime you can get to them early, that’s how you beat those guys.”

Tony Clark added an RBI single in the sixth for Arizona and the Braves scored two runs, one earned, off Tony Pena in the eighth.

Notes

The Diamondbacks lost a season-high five games May 26 through 30 against Atlanta, San Francisco and Washington. … McCann’s home run was his first since hitting two July 25 at Philadelphia, also with Jurrjens on the mound. … Haren’s streak of 24 1-3 innings without issuing a walk ended when Blanco walked on eight pitches to begin the game. … Haren had not allowed more than nine hits in a game since giving up 10 in eight innings September 17 against Seattle while pitching for Oakland.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would love to see the Diamondbacks bring up Rusty Ryal, but I doubt that would happen.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crap.

Thanks, O-Dogg, for everything.

Juan Cruz you SUCK

Kolo

Reaction score
Anybody know whether missing the last 7 weeks will affect his free agent status (i.e. will he drop from Type A to Type B) at the end of the year?

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
Wow, he just seems to always get injured at the end of the season. That really sucks for him and us. Its too bad. Well, I think this is kinda the nail on the coffin of us not resigning him.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow, he just seems to always get injured at the end of the season. That really sucks for him and us. Its too bad. Well, I think this is kinda the nail on the coffin of us not resigning him.

I actually thinks it helps us. He won't get what he wants coming off the injury and he likes Arizona.

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
I actually thinks it helps us. He won't get what he wants coming off the injury and he likes Arizona.
I agree, this may have hurt O-dog's market value. Even so, some team might overlook his injury history and pay him more loot than JB will be willing to spend on him. :shrug:

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh man when I came back from camping this weekend and heard that Hudson was out for the year my heart sank there is no way to replace hudson's defense no matter what player you bring up, but does anyone know if maybe Hudson can be back anytime during the playoffs if we make it? GET WELL SOON HUDSON.....

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
How can he command big money when he is part time?

ODOG should sign a 3 year home town discount contract and be done with it. He's not going to get even half of a Chase Utley deal. He's too injury prone. Now if he wants an incentive laden contract based on playing time and results I am all ears.

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
I agree, I think he's way too injury prone to get a major payday. This injury might work in our favor as for signing, although I still don't think we sign him. But of course I'm not happy that he's injured.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05