offensive line

jtav10

Veteran
Reaction score
i read the sporting news scout report and it wasnt very complimentary of our off line. and it said they are very weak in pass protection. im new here and came with blake . what do you guys think? can he get time to throw and if he does we will role.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jtav10
i read the sporting news scout report and it wasnt very complimentary of our off line. and it said they are very weak in pass protection. im new here and came with blake . what do you guys think? can he get time to throw and if he does we will role.

I understand the Cards just bought Blake a coffee pot. They figure Blake will have so much time to throw, he might want to have a cup of coffee while he's making up his mind of where to throw the ball.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: offensive line

Originally posted by 40yearfan
I understand the Cards just bought Blake a coffee pot. They figure Blake will have so much time to throw, he might want to have a cup of coffee while he's making up his mind of where to throw the ball.

or he might need it while he's waiting for our inexperienced receivers to finally get open.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by cardzfan
They did not think much of the Rams in 1999 either.

that's an out and out lie. The Rams had one of the best offseason's that year and were tabbed by many, before Trent Green's injury, to be a possible suprise team, not reside DEAD LAST in the league.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: offensive line

Originally posted by cheesebeef
or he might need it while he's waiting for our inexperienced receivers to finally get open.

:D :D :D

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's an out and out lie. The Rams had one of the best offseason's that year and were tabbed by many, before Trent Green's injury, to be a possible suprise team, not reside DEAD LAST in the league.

Sorry Cheese I remember many people picking the Rams to be a dreadful dead lat in there division that year!

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I remember I had Trent Green as my starting FF QB that year and I was upset as hell. Then when he went down I got stuck with his backup, Kurt Warner and was even more pissed....but I won that year :D

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Offensive line? The last time I used one of those, I got slapped in the face:devil:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The big question is can they have a unified offensive line avoiding the injury bug. If the REAL Big Red Line is out there, Blake will have time...the RBs will have holes to run through. If this unit cannot overcome the injury bug that has plagued it, it could get a bit dicier. There seems to be depth now but the quality of this depth is unclear right now.

IMO, the article (or whatever is exactly was) is off the mark assuming injuries don't cripple the Oline again.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H
Sorry Cheese I remember many people picking the Rams to be a dreadful dead lat in there division that year!

behind the NO mess with Ditka at the helm who had traded his entire draft for Ricky Williams and after picking up Marshall Faulk, Trent Green and Tory Holt? You must have been reading different magazines than I was.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
behind the NO mess with Ditka at the helm who had traded his entire draft for Ricky Williams and after picking up Marshall Faulk, Trent Green and Tory Holt? You must have been reading different magazines than I was.

Cheesy:

Sporting News 1999 Pro Football Preview
St. Louis Rams
Projected Division Finish: 5th

Coaching C-
Quarterbacks C ("If Green can't cut it or is injured, there is only Kurt Warner and rookie Joe Germaine behind him. Warner, a former NFL Europe and Arena League star, has thrown 11 NFL passes.")
Running Backs B+
Offensive Line C
Defensive Line B-
Linebackers C-
Secondary D+
Special Teams C+

"Bottom Line: If, if, if. If Bruce stays healthy, if Green is efficient at quarterback, if the offensive line is merely competent, the Rams will be dramatically improved. The Faulk trade gives the offense instant credibility. If not? The franchise will go 0 for the decade with its 10th straight losing season, and Vermeil will be fired."

Shane was right. The Rams--often referred to as the "Lambs," in the '90s--had been pretty bad for a long time, and not much more was expected of them in 1999. After Trent Green went down, most observers thought their season was over. Guess that's why they play the games.

WC

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
In Chris Farley tone of voice: Remember that time when the Cardinals were playing the Rams in St. Louis, and across the city Mark McGuire hit another homerun so they mentioned it over the intercom, causing Tony Banks to have an incomplete pass on third down? That was awesome.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... the NO mess with Ditka at the helm who had traded his entire draft for Ricky Williams ...

People were so up in arms about how Ditka ruined the saints for the next decade with this draft-day move, but it seemed to work out okay for them, and nobody ever looks back and says "hmm, maybe coach Ditka wasn't so stupid afterall..." In fact, I'd say the Saints success over the past couple of years is due in large part to the peices Ditka put in place for Haslett. Yeah, Ricky's not there anymore, but didn't they get another first rounder for him?

Who'd they take, Stallworth? (that's not a rhetorical question--I really don't know).

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now. Sorry about that...:bang:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
When it comes...

to our offensive line I cannot fight off the darkside. Untill that offensive line show me they can stay health, and get the f'n job done I am not convinced that the OL is a strength on our team. They have potential up the whaaazooo, but the don't mean anything if they can play up to the potential.

:p

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pariah
People were so up in arms about how Ditka ruined the saints for the next decade with this draft-day move, but it seemed to work out okay for them, and nobody ever looks back and says "hmm, maybe coach Ditka wasn't so stupid afterall..." In fact, I'd say the Saints success over the past couple of years is due in large part to the peices Ditka put in place for Haslett. Yeah, Ricky's not there anymore, but didn't they get another first rounder for him?

Who'd they take, Stallworth? (that's not a rhetorical question--I really don't know).

The only problem with this statement is that at this point there isn't a single, not one, player left on the Saints that Ditka brought in. I don't think anyone one is still on the roster from when Ditka was there. Yes they got 2 1st rd picks for Williams but that was Hasslett and companies work.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pariah

They took Stallworth last season with the 1st #1 they got from Miami, and they used the second one to trade to us to move up and get the D-Tackle.

Ditka has nothing to be ashamed about over that trade. Rickey Williams, if he can stay healthy, will be the best power running back of his generation (LT, if healthy, will be the best overall running back).