Official: Kobe Bryant case dismissed!

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Associated Press

EAGLE, Colo. -- The Kobe Bryant case collapsed Wednesday as prosecutors said they had no choice but to drop the sexual assault charge against the NBA star because the woman accusing him could no longer participate.

With the parents of the 20-year-old accuser looking on, District Judge Terry Ruckriegle threw out the case under a deal that means no charges will be refiled.

"The people have filed a motion to dismiss this case based on the fact the sole victim at this time is unable to go forward," District Attorney Mark Hurlbert told the judge.

The woman's attorney, John Clune, said his client has been through an extremely difficult time over the past 14 months and was disturbed by a series of courthouse mistakes that included the release of her name and medical history. Speaking on her behalf, Clune told the judge, "It is in her sincere belief that when this case ends she does not want to be brought back into the criminal process."

"The difficulties that this case has imposed on this woman the past year are unimaginable," he said.

Ruckriegle admitted mistakes had been made and took full responsibility.

The prosecution dropped the case as jury selection was beginning to wrap up. Opening statements had been expected next Tuesday.

Bryant still faces a federal civil lawsuit filed by the accuser that seeks unspecified damages.

Hurlbert said outside the courtroom that he and his office wanted to try the case, but acceded to the wishes of the woman, who no longer wanted to testify.

Bryant, 26, has said he had consensual sex with a then-19-year-old employee of a Vail-area resort where he stayed last summer. If convicted, the Los Angeles Lakers star would have faced four years to life in prison or 20 years to life on probation, and a fine up to $750,000.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I was confident this was going to happen from the very beginning. There was no case.

I'm glad Kobe can go back to his life now.

Stefan

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SirStefan32 said:
I was confident this was going to happen from the very beginning. There was no case.

I'm glad Kobe can go back to his life now.
Not quite. Unless there's a financial agreement in place, there will be a civil trial and Kobe will likely be forking over a nice retirement package for the lady.

Let the jokes about justice and whorehouses begin. I'm sure Leno will weigh in with his usual surface-level humor.

OP
OP
Renz

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
Not quite. Unless there's a financial agreement in place, there will be a civil trial and Kobe will likely be forking over a nice retirement package for the lady.
Yeah, but $733k doesn't go as far as it used to.