One Year Window?

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The math is pretty simple. If the Suns match on JJ (seems very likely after the Voskuhl deal), they will have a huge salary structure beginning in 2006-07 and be well into the luxury tax area.

Since Sarver doesn't like paying luxury tax, someone will get traded - right?

There is another option. Sarver could bring in new investors.

NBA franchises are not simply about cash flow. If they were, the Clippers would be the top franchise in the league. Ownership is about ego. If you want to sell pieces of the team, the ideal time is just after the team gets to the finals.

A major infusion of cash could reduce the pinch Sarver feels and perhaps open a window to pay some luxury tax. Look at teams like the Pacers and Sixers who are quite willing to pay a lot of luxury tax just to be competative. If Sarver partially cashes out at a profit, he can prove to be a great businessman and still keep the team together.

... but it means they have to win now.

scotsman13

Reaction score
for the old suns owner group it maybe a very limited window to get a championship. remember they get a bonus if the team wins a championship on the sale price. but for this team i think we have another year with nash, mairon before we start to look to rebuilding the team with the core around amare and jj.

Amare and JJ are this teams future. at 22 and 24 both of these players havent even come close to reaching their prime. both of these players game should play off the other game very well in years to come. this is why it is so important for the team to keep JJ. in the end i think the suns will have 3 championships. 1 soon and 2 or more later.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
scotsman13 said:
. but for this team i think we have another year with nash, mairon before we start to look to rebuilding the team with the core around amare and jj. .

I think a better term is retool.

SA did this when they transitioned from the DRob era to the foreigner era.

The Suns hopefully have another season or two with Nash performing at a high level. After that they will have to find a new way to continue to be successful.

If the SUns resign JJ and don't make the finals I wouldn't blame Sarver if he unloaded either Marion or JJ next summer. As vital as Marion is to this teams success next summer might be the ideal time to unload him if this team can't get to the next level.

scotsman13

Reaction score
devilalum said:
I think a better term is retool.

SA did this when they transitioned from the DRob era to the foreigner era.

The Suns hopefully have another season or two with Nash performing at a high level. After that they will have to find a new way to continue to be successful.

If the SUns resign JJ and don't make the finals I wouldn't blame Sarver if he unloaded either Marion or JJ next summer. As vital as Marion is to this teams success next summer might be the ideal time to unload him if this team can't get to the next level.

sorry i dont think i came across as well i should have here. i think this team has 2 years with this roster before the window as closed on it. after that you retool around amare and jj. at that time it maybe good to start looking at a coach that can bring in the triangle offense (i know it isnt as fun to watch) but the movement of that offense and the ball handling skills of jj might make it almost unbeatable. right now with nash this is the best offense.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
It's sad to say but I think after next year Marion may be gone. 3 of the starting 5 from the WCF will be gone.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
JPlay said:
It's sad to say but I think after next year Marion may be gone. 3 of the starting 5 from the WCF will be gone.

3:confused:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:

I think you mean that 2 of the starting 5 from last year's team will be gone, and how do you know that they won't make it even further next season?

Joe

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My guess is that if the Suns win it all, they will keep the guys together for another year. Otherwise, moves will be made.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
JPlay said:

He could mean Jim Jackson, he started 3 of the games.

I am not sure how to read most of JPlay's posts, hard to react to a guy who just likes to emote.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I certainly think that what happens next summer is going to be determined by how well the Suns do this season. The Suns don't seem to make many long-term plans anyway, and right now they don't even know whether they've got a real contender or not.

That said, the real key business for this summer is re-signing Amare. As long as Amare is here, the Suns will be a team to be reckoned with.

SunsPride

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
As long as Amare is here, the Suns will be a team to be reckoned with.

Correction. Amare and Nash

Amare isn't near as dominate without a great PG to feed him the ball.

Tank

Wifi Guru
Reaction score
Did you miss the end of the 03-04 before we had Nash when Amare was putting up 25-30 on a regular basis?

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Tank said:
Did you miss the end of the 03-04 before we had Nash when Amare was putting up 25-30 on a regular basis?

Exactly. Nash makes things easier, and keeps the team playing together. He generates the ball movement that gets everyone involved.

However, Amare is a dominant force without him. Most of his points just move to post ups where he has to exert a little more energy instead on rolls to the basket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan