OT - Brady Quinn workout was today

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
For what its worth. Was listening to the radio about Quinns workout today.

Scouts described his workout as - "Very Solid".

Didnt do to well with the deep ball but everything else was solid to really good.

Did not run and will not run until Notre Dames 2nd pro day, which scouts do not like at all. Shows them he isnt ready or is wanting to be a workout warrior in the 40 time giving him additional time to work up to it. Scouts would have rather seen him run today then see if he put the work in to improve his time the second time.

Scouts and GM also didnt like the fact that he wouldnt take any one on one interviews today and will wait until the 2nd pro day.

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
maybe he's trying to avoid getting drafted by the raiders...?

I dont get it. He doesn't sound like he wants to be the first pick by refusing all of these different things :shrug:

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I dont get it. He doesn't sound like he wants to be the first pick by refusing all of these different things :shrug:
Great idea. Coming outa ND, I knew he had to have a brain in his head. Way to go Brady!!!!

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
what the hell is a 2nd pro day. If i'm a team, i'd tell ND to go shove it up the wazoo. Here's your typical ND player.Slow, smart, limited athletically, over-hyped. Why go to the campus to see that.TWICE.

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Brady Quinn

I don't believe that the workout convinced any teams (Miami, Houston or Minnesota) to trade up with the Cards in order to get him. Hopefully the 2nd pro day will be better. For unless things in FA change it wouldn't surprise me if we have to draft Levi Brown and there is no way we can say he's the BPA at #5 but maybe we can at #8 or 9.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
I honestly had no idea that schools could have SECOND pro days. And it's not like Notre Dame has so many good prospects that they need a second day to showcase them all.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Several top QB prospects have had their own personal work-out.

If I understrand it correctly this "first work-out" was all Quinn, and the 2nd work-out is the official pro day at ND.

OP
OP
joeshmo

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Several top QB prospects have had their own personal work-out.

If I understrand it correctly this "first work-out" was all Quinn, and the 2nd work-out is the official pro day at ND.

Nope. The whole team worked out.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe they screwed up like U of Miami did and scheduled their first workout during free agent signing weekend and went with the 2nd one for the teams that couldn't show up because of the conflict. :shrug:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's funny how bad the Raiders are suddenly perceived. A claim in my morning paper is the Raiders were going to trade with Tampa Bay to get Jake Plummer, and that's why Jake retired.

Denver won't deal directly with Oakland(Shanahan and Davis hate each other) so they were essentially using Tampa Bay as a go between, Jake heard about it, and decided to just retire.

Jim_Hart

Reaction score
It's funny how bad the Raiders are suddenly perceived. A claim in my morning paper is the Raiders were going to trade with Tampa Bay to get Jake Plummer, and that's why Jake retired.

Denver won't deal directly with Oakland(Shanahan and Davis hate each other) so they were essentially using Tampa Bay as a go between, Jake heard about it, and decided to just retire.

:lol: That wouldn't suprise me at all!

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Maybe they screwed up like U of Miami did and scheduled their first workout during free agent signing weekend and went with the 2nd one for the teams that couldn't show up because of the conflict. :shrug:

Weis wants to use it as a recruiting tool. I guess he figures the more times he can show recruits all the pro personnel there that they'll want to come to ND. It would be great if no one from the NFL showed up on the 2nd pro day.

Jim_Hart

Reaction score
The thing is that QBs like Quinn are just not that highly sought after on draft day. For every Joe Montana and Drew Brees there are many, many slow, smart, limited athletically QBs who never make it in the NFL. That doesn't guarantee that Quinn is a bust ... but it certainly makes teams think twice about selecting him with a high pick.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing is that QBs like Quinn are just not that highly sought after on draft day. For every Joe Montana and Drew Brees there are many, many slow, smart, limited athletically QBs who never make it in the NFL. That doesn't guarantee that Quinn is a bust ... but it certainly makes teams think twice about selecting him with a high pick.

How is he limited athletically?

Jim_Hart

Reaction score
How is he limited athletically?

I'm not saying he is a stone wall :) ... but he is not as fast, agile, or strong as the QBs that are really catching team's eyes. Like Montana or Brees when they were drafted.

That also does not mean he wont have success. I am saying that it has the chance of causing Quinn to drop in the draft.

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score
Quinn from everything I have heard is meticulous in his preparation like Manning and Brady, he has the size and athleticism to be a very very good QB in the NFL and should without a doubt be a top 5 pick. So he has not won the big game, if I am correct ND gave up over 30 points in each of the so called big games he lost, not a lot he can do about that. And not winning the big one was the knock on Manning as well who as long as he stays healthy will own every significant passing record in the NFL...

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying he is a stone wall :) ... but he is not as fast, agile, or strong as the QBs that are really catching team's eyes. Like Montana or Brees when they were drafted.

That also does not mean he wont have success. I am saying that it has the chance of causing Quinn to drop in the draft.

Just my opinion, but I would put him at the same level as Matt Leinart, for comaprison sake.

Athletically he has 6'4" 227 lbs. to work with.

IndyStar.com Sports State Colleges
March 5, 2007

Quinn finally works out for NFL scouts

By Tom Coyne
Associated Press
SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Brady Quinn finally gave NFL scouts, coaches, general managers and owners an up-close look at what he can do on the field.

Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn gets ready to throw a pass during Notre Dame pro day Sunday, March 4, 2007 in South Bend, Ind. Quinn was one of several Notre Dame players that displayed his skills for NFL scouts. - JOE RAYMOND / Associated Press

Quinn, whose only workout at the NFL combine was benchpressing 225 pounds 24 times, took part in a half-hour workout Sunday at Notre Dame's pro day. He threw a variety of passes, with representatives from every NFL team watching.
"We threw everything people wanted to see," Irish coach Charlie Weis said. "We put him through every throw that any NFL organization would want to see -- from moving in the pocket, to moving from the pocket, to three-step, to five-step to seven-step. I think now they have enough information to make a critical evaluation, if they didn't have enough on tape already."
Quinn, who had fluid drained from his right knee at halftime of a game against Southern California and aggravated the injury in the Sugar Bowl against LSU, didn't take part in any of the agility drills: the 40-yard dash or the 60-yard shuttle run. He said he'd do that at Notre Dame's next pro day on March 22.
"I want to be 100 percent," he said. "I'm not quite there yet, but I will be soon."
Quinn has been the center of much draft speculation, particularly over whether the Oakland Raiders will use the No. 1 overall pick to take him or LSU's JaMarcus Russell.
Some draft analysts have said Quinn's draft status has been weakened since the end of the season as NFL teams reviewed the way he played, particularly in the Sugar Bowl. Quinn said he can't understand how people are saying his stock is going down.
"We haven't done anything since then and people are sitting there saying, 'You're stock's going up, you're stock's going down,"' Quinn said. "It's kind of comical in that sense. You're just working out, doing the best you can every day."
Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress and Cleveland Browns coach Romeo Crennel were both impressed by Quinn's performance.
"Really, he made more throws here than you'd think about making at the combine," Childress said. "I think he threw about 60 balls here today and it takes a little bit of endurance to be able to do that and he did it pretty rapid-fire succession."
Crennel said Quinn clearly had zip on his passes.
"The fact he could make all his throws, both right and left, he's a polished quarterback," Crennel said. "He's smart. When you watch him on tape you can see he knows where to go with the ball. He will, at times, throw it away when he has to, so we think he's a good, young prospect."
Quinn threw 63 passes, connecting on 58 of them. On two occasions, former Irish receiver Matt Shelton got his hands on passes but couldn't pull them in. Rhema McKnight couldn't catch a 35-yard pass or a 20-yard pass he dived for. Quinn also overthrew tailback Darius Walker on a 25-yard pass.
"I thought there were four catchable balls and one crummy throw to the right-hand side," Weis said.
Quinn said he was pleased with his performance, although he thought he could have done better.
"I think there's definitely still room for improvement," he said.
Quinn plans to return to Arizona to continue to prepare for the draft. Crennel said he didn't mind that Quinn didn't show off his speed.
"He's a quarterback, he doesn't have to run a 40. He showed he has good feet on the movement drills that he did because he did some rollouts, he did some play-actions. You can see his feet move," Crennel said. "And hopefully he doesn't have to run a 40, and if he's running a 40, they'll be chasing him."

About 100 people were at Notre Dame's indoor practice facility to watch the workout, including some of Quinn's former teammates -- and his possible replacement -- Jimmy Clausen. Several other former Irish players also worked out, including offensive guard Dan Santucci and offensive tackle Ryan Harris.
"Hopefully everyone's stock went up today," Quinn said.
Quinn said he doesn't have any preference for who drafts him, he just wants to be drafted as high as possible on April 28.
"I just want to go No. 1," Quinn said. "That's really what I'm looking forward to, and I hope that will be the case in the end."

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
More Quinn stuff from ESPN...

There is draft stuff going on. QB Brady Quinn had his workout Sunday at Notre Dame. He was OK. Quinn did a good job on the inside pass. What was interesting was who was there to watch the workout. The Browns, Vikings and Texans attended with a big collection of owners, coaches and general managers. The Browns asked Quinn for an individual workout, so maybe they will consider him at No. 3. Quinn would be an ideal fit in Brad Childress' offense, but there is no certainty the Vikings would take him at No. 7. With Jake Plummer no longer an option for the Texans, Quinn might be a consideration at No. 8. Note that Matt Millen didn't attend for the Lions. Detroit apparently isn't interested in drafting a quarterback at No. 2.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is draft stuff going on. QB Brady Quinn had his workout Sunday at Notre Dame. He was OK. Quinn did a good job on the inside pass. What was interesting was who was there to watch the workout. The Browns, Vikings and Texans attended with a big collection of owners, coaches and general managers. The Browns asked Quinn for an individual workout, so maybe they will consider him at No. 3. Quinn would be an ideal fit in Brad Childress' offense, but there is no certainty the Vikings would take him at No. 7. With Jake Plummer no longer an option for the Texans, Quinn might be a consideration at No. 8. Note that Matt Millen didn't attend for the Lions. Detroit apparently isn't interested in drafting a quarterback at No. 2.

Maybe they will go for someone like Trent Edwards with their 2nd round pick.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so that leaves Thomas, Peterson, and Johnson as their picks.

Very nice cast to choose from. Flop factor for those guys is minimal. If Brady goes past Cleveland, Cards could use him as a trade chip to Houston/Miami.

Miami just got an extra 2nd from New England for Wes Welker. I would jump at Miami's #1 and one of those 2's for trade rights.

BTW, why wouldn't thew Cards go after Welker? Slot receiver & KO/PR. Damn 3 players in one. No one in Miami can figure out why Dolphins gave up on Welker. Maybe this is why.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Very nice cast to choose from. Flop factor for those guys is minimal. If Brady goes past Cleveland, Cards could use him as a trade chip to Houston/Miami.

Miami just got an extra 2nd from New England for Wes Welker. I would jump at Miami's #1 and one of those 2's for trade rights.

BTW, why wouldn't thew Cards go after Welker? Slot receiver & KO/PR. Damn 3 players in one. No one in Miami can figure out why Dolphins gave up on Welker. Maybe this is why.

Because you have to pay you're original pick when signing a RFA. The Patriots had to pay the 60th pick. Our price would have been the 39th pick.

Huge difference!

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because you have to pay you're original pick when signing a RFA. The Patriots had to pay the 60th pick. Our price would have been the 39th pick.

Huge difference!

My viewpoint is that Wes Welker is your 2nd round pick. 3 years in the league. Very productive. Basically fills 3 needs. He was the Dolphins most productive O player last year. That means you know what you are getting with him, not guessing at what you might get. It doesn't matter, he is not available, and I am looking with hindsight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05