OT: DA says no charges against Tom Cable for assaulting Hanson

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to the DA there's no evidence that supports Hanson's claim Cable assaulted him and broke his jaw. According to eyewitness testimony(3 assistant coaches), Hanson was sitting in his chair, feet on a table in front of him leaning back. Cable got mad and charged him, another coach stepped between them, bumped Hanson, who fell out of his chair and somehow broke his jaw in the fall. Cable them grabbed Hanson by the shirt didn't punch him, didn't threaten to kill him, and was pulled off by assistants.

Hanson initially declined to press charges despite having told the hospital that he had been punched by Tom Cable. Weeks later he showed up in the Napa police station and told them because the Raiders weren't cooperating with what he wanted, he was going to press charges. Not clear if that means he wanted money to go away, or wanted his coaching job back, or both, but the DA considers it to be conflicting statements.

The DA admitted obviously something happened, he went into that room without a broken jaw and came out with one, but there's no evidence of how it happened.

Local reporters are pointing out that it came down to the 3 assistants who all work for Cable refusing to tell the police what they saw since none of them can explain how he broke his jaw.

So the lesson here is clear, don't lean back in your chair.

:D

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He fell down. Right? That's the ticket.

Take the money and run.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He can pursue it in Civil court, but given the testimony... I'm not sure who he sues. Perhaps all the coaches in the room.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He can pursue it in Civil court, but given the testimony... I'm not sure who he sues. Perhaps all the coaches in the room.

His attorney says they're going to sue the Raiders.

I'm expecting it will be settled out of court. Appears the whole problem is he waited to go to the police, initially the police said he was not cooperating. He's apparently VERY loyal to Davis and the Raiders, when he realized they were abandoning him, he went to the police but that conflicted with his earlier actions so the police and the DA said it hurt his case.

I think everyone believes Cable punched him, they just can't prove it.

I still expect Cable to be suspended by the NFL, they don't have the burden of proof the DA does.

Reaction score
Broke his jaw falling out of a chair? Yeah, ok! :lol:

That's like saying you broke your hand while answering the phone...

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I hope whoever deserves whatever gets what they deserve.

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't this guy with the glass jaw been the source of conflict before?

Anyhow, this is so Raiders...