Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loudnoisegate?

Blank on fake noise: 'What we've done...was wrong'

by Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com

Tue, 03 Feb 2015 2:37 PM ET

Falcons owner Arthur Blank admitted the team pumped fake crowd noise into the Georgia Dome the past two years while their opponents were on offense, reports the Associated Press.

The Falcons could be fined or lose a draft pick, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

If they or Pats are punished and lose a draft pick, who gets the pick or does it just disappear? Wouldn't that deprive some player from being drafted in a salary slot?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they or Pats are punished and lose a draft pick, who gets the pick or does it just disappear? Wouldn't that deprive some player from being drafted in a salary slot?

I believe that it just goes away. Isn't that what happened back in 2008 when the Pats and Niners forfeited picks for breaking the rules.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is a much bigger issue. The crowd noise directly affects the outcome of the game. The Falcons are probably going to get hit with a very stiff penalty especially if the Patriots are going to skate on the partially deflated footballs.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO it's more embarassing than anything. Atlanta fans are so bad that we have to pipe in fake crowd noise. Still I think they will lose a mid to late round draft pick for it.

As for the underinflated balls. I could care less about it. Maybe the Patriots lose a late round draft pick. IMO it's just people out on a witch hunt.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If it actually makes the ball easier to throw and catch then it's an unfair advantage and a big deal.

The final score was 45-7. Brady could have been throwing a wet sponge out there and the outcome wouldn't have been any different.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As for the underinflated balls. I could care less about it. Maybe the Patriots lose a late round draft pick. IMO it's just people out on a witch hunt.
Winner, winner chicken dinner.

Investigate Seattle as well.
For stupidity? Not much to investigate, it's pretty obvious. Oh, or were you referring to noise??

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
I wonder what would have happened if Brady never threw an INT in that game.

Rumor has it the Colts were tipped off by the Ravens. If true then the deflation "strategy" must have been employed previously as well and was not a well kept secret.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
As for the underinflated balls. I could care less about it.

Agreed.

Raiders - Stick'em-gate

Niners - Pam on the Jersey-gate

Patriots - Snow plow-gate, Spy-gate, Deflate-gate

This kind of thing has been in the league since it started. Why deflated footballs are such a big deal is beyond me.

I mean on the NFL Network they laugh about stick'em and pam on the jerseys. So, really how big of a deal can it be?

Goodell has really let this league go to hell in a handbasket.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
IIRC, the pick disappears and everyone moves up a slot, but the pick is added at the back end of the draft as a compensatory 7th round selection.

Joeshmo would know for sure, but I'm pretty certain that the total number of overall draft picks is a fixed part of the CBA.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC, the pick disappears and everyone moves up a slot, but the pick is added at the back end of the draft as a compensatory 7th round selection.

Joeshmo would know for sure, but I'm pretty certain that the total number of overall draft picks is a fixed part of the CBA.

Aha. Do the compensatory picks go to draft order cellar dwellers?

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score
Any cheating should get harsh penalties. If it's harsh enough, maybe it'll actually modify behavior. Yes, take away draft picks, but also take away cap space. Make the team pay a fine that gets reduced from their cap, then send it out equally to the other teams, and add it to their caps. Take away the right to host a playoff game as well as your opportunity to get a first round bye. Won your division? Too bad you cheated last year. Now, one wild card team will get to host instead.

Make it stiff enough, and teams will follow the rules.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Aha. Do the compensatory picks go to draft order cellar dwellers?

Hm. I think that at the end of the draft, they basically just re-load the draft order if they have more compensatory selections available than they do "deserving" teams (i.e., those who lost more players in free agency than signed).

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The snow plow operator who cleared the spot for the kicker in the snow plow game was carted off to jail. For those don't know, the guy was on work release from prison. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05