Ot: Fassel Out As Ravens Offensive Coordinator

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
FASSEL OUT AS RAVENS OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR

A league source tells us (and a reader advises us that there's a local radio report to this effect) that the Ravens have parted ways offensive coordinator Jim Fassel.

At this point, it's not clear whether it was a firing, a resignation, a mutual decision, or a Charley Casserly (i.e., an involuntary move sold as voluntary or mutual).

The departure will be announced at 12:00 p.m. EDT on Tuesday.

Fassel has been with the Ravens since 2004. He initially signed on as a consultant, due in part to the fact that he could have bolted before the end of the season for a head coaching job with another team. When no offers came, he replaced Matt Cavanaugh as offensive coordinator in 2005.

The fact that Billick has made the move suggests, in our view, that the noose is tightening around the veteran head coach's neck. Some league insiders believe that Billick would have been fired after the 2005 season if a stronger field of replacement candidates had been available. Regardless, he's clearly under a "win or else" mandate from G.M. Ozzie Newsome and owner Steve Bisciotti, which likely prompted Billick to eschew (we learned that word from Tirico) his long-standing friendship with Fassel and pull the plug.

It's also possible that the decision wasn't even made by Billick.

Fassel and Billick clashed a bit in 2005, as rumors mounted that Fassel was positioning himself to replace Billick.

We're not sure that a change at this point will make any difference to the team's anemic offensive attack. Billick came to Baltimore in 1999 as an offensive wizard in the mold of Bill Walsh. Since then, Billick's offenses have been downright offensive. But for a defense-driven Super Bowl, Billick would have been long gone by now.

Though Browns fans are hoping that Maurice Carthon will be named as the replacement, our guess is that the job will go to quarterbacks coach Rick Neuheisel for the balance of the season

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
Conspiracy theory time. Fassel left so he can take over for DG because he is getting let go this week. Discuss among yourselves. jk

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
I don't think Fassell could get hired mid season. Has that ever happened in the NFL before?

joko4

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think Fassell could get hired mid season. Has that ever happened in the NFL before?
I do not think so, but you could bring him in as offensive advisor. It just might happen, it depends on what Billy and DG think of Fassell. Not quite sure why he got canned, kinda weird though. I think the Ravens as a whole are a defensive team and way conservative on offense. Fassell is more wide open. Did any see him on TV just last week explaining zone blocking?

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fassel will never, ever work for the Cards again.

Insider info: This was passed along in a radio segment recently:

When he came here to interview for the head coaching position when we hired DG, Michael Bidwill picked up Fassel from the airport himself.

On the drive over to meet with Bill, SR., Michael explained that he understands that the Cards need to get rid of some dead weight around the organization. He told Fassel that in the interview, Jim should bring this up and explain that in order to move to the future, the team should cut ties with some of the past. Michael stated that SR is ready to hear something like this and will welcome the bold attitude.

So when Fassel brings this up with Bill SR during the interview and Bill SR gets seriously pissed off and literally throws Jim out of the Cardinals HQ while Michael doesn't speak up for Jim. Basically, Michael wanted Jim to do his dirty work and he threw him under the bus.

Fassel was the #1 candidate prior to the interview and because of what transpired, he was ostracized by the family, and will never be able to set foot in Cards land again.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
Fassel will never, ever work for the Cards again.

Insider info: This was passed along in a radio segment recently:

When he came here to interview for the head coaching position when we hired DG, Michael Bidwill picked up Fassel from the airport himself.

On the drive over to meet with Bill, SR., Michael explained that he understands that the Cards need to get rid of some dead weight around the organization. He told Fassel that in the interview, Jim should bring this up and explain that in order to move to the future, the team should cut ties with some of the past. Michael stated that SR is ready to hear something like this and will welcome the bold attitude.

So when Fassel brings this up with Bill SR during the interview and Bill SR gets seriously pissed off and literally throws Jim out of the Cardinals HQ while Michael doesn't speak up for Jim. Basically, Michael wanted Jim to do his dirty work and he threw him under the bus.

Fassel was the #1 candidate prior to the interview and because of what transpired, he was ostracized by the family, and will never be able to set foot in Cards land again.

If that is true... it A) Gives me hope for the future when Michael finally gets full reign... B) Really makes me more upset with ownership C) Feel bad for Fassell, as I think he could really turn this around.

I wouldn't mind Billick in here. He's the kind of fire and attitude as a coach this team could use.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
now how can someone find that out. consider your sources. as far as fassel coming to az, i don't think he wants to or should he. i look at this as a blessing for fassel who is looking for a head coach job. raidiers look like a good fit for him. i can even see him going to pittsburg