OT: JPP sues ESPN, Adam Schefter for posting his medical records

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPP sues ESPN, Adam Schefter for posting his medical records

http://nypost.com/2016/02/24/jpp-sues-espn-adam-schefter-for-posting-his-medical-records/

Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul is flagging ESPN and its reporter Adam Schefter for posting his private medical records online to millions of readers.

Pierre-Paul, 27, sued ESPN and Schefter in a Florida court Wednesday citing a violation of his privacy.

The NFL player blew off a finger in a July 4 fireworks mishap and was treated at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, according to his lawyers Mitchell Schuster and Kevin Fritz.

Schefter “improperly obtained” Pierre-Paul’s medical chart showing the defensive end had his right index finger amputated and posting the record on Twitter to nearly 4 million followers, the suit says.

“This action arises out of ESPN reporter Schefter’s blatant disregard for the private and confidential nature of plaintiff’s medical records, all so Schefter could show the world that he had ‘supporting proof’ of a surgical procedure,” the suit says.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Good. Felt like a dick move by Schefter. Highly unethical.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I highly doubt anything comes of this, records or reports of players that shouldn't be viewed for privacy reasons are leaked all the time in sports these days.

If anything I would think whomever forked over those records will be the only person(s) whom could have any further issues. Case closed on Shefty & ESPN IMO.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I highly doubt anything comes of this, records or reports of players that shouldn't be viewed for privacy reasons are leaked all the time in sports these days.

If anything I would think whomever forked over those records will be the only person(s) whom could have any further issues. Case closed on Shefty & ESPN IMO.

Disagree. Not sure if they included the images of his hand but that is clearly exasperating the problem and perceptions of his value as a FA. They will claim the film of him not wrapping up is the reason for downgrade but he has a real case. I do wonder if he is suing the Dr./Hospital or whoever gave access to the records? The mass media exposure is what will hurt him with teams.

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
HIPAA privacy violation. He should be going after the doctor /office that released it. They are the one's responsible.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No kidding. He could have reported it without posting the actual medical records online right?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
HIPAA privacy violation. He should be going after the doctor /office that released it. They are the one's responsible.

Yessir:thumbup:

JPP & his lawyer are going after the wrong peeps! Go after the person who shared that info to Shefty.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Yes, and the doctors and hospital will be sanctioned by the board and held responsible for it, as well.

While ESPN does not have to maintain compliance with HIPAA, divulging his private medical file in that manner can be considered damaging to his reputation. What Schefter and ESPN did was highly unethical.

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yes, and the doctors and hospital will be sanctioned by the board and held responsible for it, as well.

While ESPN does not have to maintain compliance with HIPAA, divulging his private medical file in that manner can be considered damaging to his reputation. What Schefter and ESPN did was highly unethical.
I agree. And maybe they are doing it this way to scare others in the media, but that hospital or whomever should be responsible.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree. And maybe they are doing it this way to scare others in the media, but that hospital or whomever should be responsible.

3 people of the hospital ,dont know if employers or part of the medical staff have been fired few weeks a go.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Both the hospital and ESPN can be held as liable with this. Doesn't have to be one or the other.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Disagree. Not sure if they included the images of his hand but that is clearly exasperating the problem and perceptions of his value as a FA. They will claim the film of him not wrapping up is the reason for downgrade but he has a real case. I do wonder if he is suing the Dr./Hospital or whoever gave access to the records? The mass media exposure is what will hurt him with teams.

Yessir:thumbup:

JPP & his lawyer are going after the wrong peeps! Go after the person who shared that info to Shefty.
He has apparently already settled with the hospital (which has already fired a couple people over this)

Now he is going after ESPN and shefter.

This was sent from my cell pjone so please excise any typeos or other errors.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Here's another angle..HIPPA might be enforceable because ESPN is basically a contract employee of the NFL and thus helped make public the medical records of a another NFL contract employee. My wife has been a benefits manager for 15 years and thinks their is a case against all involved.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05