OT: Lawrence Phillips dead due to apparent suicide in prison

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
http://cdcrtoday.blogspot.com/

DELANO – Officials at Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP) are investigating the death of inmate Lawrence Phillips as a suspected suicide.

The incident occurred at 12:05 a.m. Wednesday, Jan. 13, when staff conducting security checks found Phillips, 40, unresponsive in his cell. He was transported to an outside hospital where he was pronounced deceased at 1:27 a.m. Next-of-kin has been notified.

Phillips had been in an Administrative Segregation Unit on single-cell status since April 11, 2013, after he was suspected of killing his cellmate. Phillips was currently in the early stages of the trial in Kern County for the homicide.

Phillips was received by the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation on Oct. 16, 2008, from San Diego County to serve a 31-year, four-month sentence for inflicting great bodily injury involving domestic violence, corporal injury to a spouse, false imprisonment and vehicle theft. Phillips played in the National Football League prior to his incarceration in state prison.

KVSP opened in 2005 and houses 3,896 minimum-, medium-, maximum- and high-security custody inmates. KVSP offers academic classes and vocational programs and employs approximately 1,800 people. For more information, visit www.cdcr.ca.gov.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
That guy has been a mess since high school, it is too bad he wasn't able to straighten his life out and concentrate on making the most of the enormous talent he had. He just cared more about being a thug than a pro athlete.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a wasted life. He probably figured he was going to get the death penalty for killing his former cellmate. Decided to end it all on his own.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That guy has been a mess since high school, it is too bad he wasn't able to straighten his life out and concentrate on making the most of the enormous talent he had. He just cared more about being a thug than a pro athlete.
+1

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I think he struggled big time with alcohol abuse as well. I remember hearing he would show up to games drunk. They thought they hit the lotto holding at I think around 5 to pick him.

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Big-time talent. That being said, he was also a big-time head case. It's sad but not uncommon in the NFL or the world, in general. I'm not saying it's not tragic, but this is the world in microcosm.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This guy had the highest ceiling and decided to Thelma and Louise with his life. Damn!

Last edited:

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds just like Aaron Hernandez without the suicide. Hernandez was so good too!

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have zero sympathy. Here was a guy with multimillion dollar talent with a 10 cent head. He was given chance after chance after chance. Him killing someone was only a matter of time and him killing himself just goes to prove how much of a coward he was. He's such a thug that he can't deal with the consequences of his actions. Seriously, guys like him and Aaron Hernandez I simply do not understand. Here are guys who are literally handed the world on a silver platter and instead they slap it away in order to be a thug. I mean this jackass was so unhinged that he drove his car into a bunch of kids over a frigging pick up football game. No great loss here. And now in his last act of cowardice some corrections officer(or multiple officers) is going to end up losing their jobs over this scumbag.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He took the Hermann Göring way out, flipping the bird to personal responsibility, right to the bitter end.

RIP POS

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good less money on the system. Being only 40 Saves many years on the system.

8ndkorner

Registered
Reaction score

As I understand this, he was a wide receiver in prison.