OT: Report: Ex-Seahawks CB Brandon Browner sentenced 8 years in prison for attempted murder

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-ex-...-years-prison-attempted-murder-220810638.html

Former Seattle Seahawks cornerback Brandon Browner was sentenced to eight years in California state prison after pleading guilty to attempted murder, according to a report by TMZ.

Browner, 34, was charged in July for an incident in La Verne, California. The La Verne Police Department news release details charges that include robbery, burglary and false imprisonment felonies as well as two misdemeanor counts of child endangerment.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is alleged to have broken into an ex-girlfriend’s apartment where he dragged and “smothered her in a carpet” in front of her two children. He allegedly broke a locked window and stole a $20,000 Rolex watch before fleeing the scene. He was later arrested and has been in custody since July.

Browner pleaded no contest to one count of attempted murder and two counts of willful child endangerment, according to TMZ. The site reported that the robbery, burglary and false imprisonment charges were dropped in exchange for the plea.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
He is alleged to have broken into an ex-girlfriend’s apartment where he dragged and “smothered her in a carpet” in front of her two children. He allegedly broke a locked window and stole a $20,000 Rolex watch before fleeing the scene. He was later arrested and has been in custody since July.

Browner pleaded no contest to one count of attempted murder and two counts of willful child endangerment, according to TMZ. The site reported that the robbery, burglary and false imprisonment charges were dropped in exchange for the plea.
Is it all still allegedly, when he pleads guilty?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe it has something to do with the BS legal system jargon. I think the "no contest" plea is not technically a guilty plea.

True.

Nolo Contendere

Most criminal cases end by plea bargain. In a typical case, the defendant pleads guilty—instead of going to trial—in exchange for something from the prosecution. This “something” is usually a conviction on a less serious charge, a recommendation that the judge impose a lighter sentence, or both. By formally admitting culpability, the defendant avoids the risk of losing at trial and getting harsher punishment.

Guilty pleas settle lots of cases, but not all. Sometimes prosecutors and judges agree to accept pleas of “nolo contendere,” Latin for “I do not wish to contend” or “no contest.”

Nolo Contendere's Close Relative: The Alford Plea

There's another kind of plea by which the defendant accepts a conviction without formally conceding guilt. It's called an "Alford plea," and it typically involves a defendant pleading guilty while claiming to be innocent. With a typical no-contest plea, the defendant is refusing to admit guilt; with an Alford plea, the defendant is declaring innocence.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The way I understand it, the no contest plea originally was supposed to be something prosecutors offered defendants when the prosecutors had an "iffy" type of case against the defendant (I could be totally wrong, though). But, it eventually just became kind of the norm because of the inundating number of cases that come before the court. It makes it much easier (and cheaper?) to get thru the whole/complete process of the cases brought before the court.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05