OT: Terrible story - Tony Dungy's son found dead in Tampa

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2268593

Dungy's son, 18, found dead in Tampa suburb

James Dungy, the 18-year-old son of Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy, was found dead at 1:30 a.m. ET Thursday in his apartment in Lutz, Fla., a suburb of Tampa, Debbie Carter, a spokesperson for the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office, confirmed Thursday.

In a news release on its Web site, the Hillsborough County Sheriffs Office said it "responded to the Campus Lodge Apartments this morning at approximately 1:32 a.m. The girlfriend of James Dungy had returned to the apartment and discovered Dungy."

Police performed CPR on Dungy before he was taken to University Community Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. The cause of death is pending an autopsy by the Hillsborough County Medical Examiner's Office.

Tony Dungy has left the Colts and is in Tampa, ESPN has learned.

The coach and his wife, Lauren, have four other children: daughters Tiara and Jade and sons Eric and Jordan.

The Colts (13-1) are at Seattle on Saturday.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty terrible. I recall seeing a feature on his son when TD was in TB.

A-Bomb

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
:eek: That is horrible. He was 18. What a time of year for this to happen.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dungy's 18-year-old son found dead

12/22/2005

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -
James Dungy, the 18-year-old son of Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy, was found dead in a Tampa-area apartment, police said Thursday.

No foul play is suspected, but a cause of death wasn't announced pending an autopsy, said Vida Morgan, a secretary in the Hillsborough County sheriff's office.

James Dungy's girlfriend found him when she returned to the Campus Lodge Apartments in Lutz, Fla., the sheriff's office said in a news release on its Web site. Police responded at 1:32 a.m. Thursday and performed CPR on Dungy before he was taken to University Community Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Tony Dungy has left the Colts and is in Tampa. The Colts (13-1) are at Seattle on Saturday, and team president Bill Polian said that assistant head coach Jim Caldwell has taken over for Dungy.

Indianapolis lost its first game Sunday against the visiting San Diego Chargers, ending what had been a perfect season.

''The thoughts and prayers of everyone in this building are with Tony and (wife) Lauren, their children and their extended family, and for the repose of James' soul,'' Polian said at a news conference at the Colts' training facility in Indianapolis. ''This is a tragedy for the Dungy family and by extension his football family here with the Colts.''

Owner Jim Irsay and Polian met with team officials and players to break the news.

''It was not easy, and it was sombre, to say the least,'' Polian said.

Caldwell will take over ''for however long Tony will be away and however long he will be away is entirely up to him,'' Polian added.

''Tony made it clear to me and Jim (Irsay) he wished for the team and organization to carry on. We will. We have the greatest role model there is in Tony. Jim said to the team `We'll emulate our leader.'''

Dungy and his wife, Lauren, have four other children: daughters Tiara and Jade and sons Eric and Jordan. James, their second-oldest child, was taking extension classes at the University of South Florida, Morgan said.

James Dungy spent his senior year at North Central High School in Indianapolis and graduated this year. C.E. Quandt, the school's principal, said Dungy was a personable student who never flaunted his father's position.

''He just came in and tried to blend in and be a student,'' Quandt said. ''I liked James a lot.''

Quandt said Dungy visited North Central a week or two ago to pick up a transcript. He said the death surprised and saddened everyone at the school.

''It kind of diminishes our school family,'' he said.

James stood six-foot-seven and was sometimes was mistaken for one of his father's players, The Indianapolis Star reported on its website. James and his younger brother, Eric, sometimes watched Colts games from the sidelines, but they had to earn it by doing well in school.

Fans posted prayers and messages of support for Dungy, who also coached the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, on a message board on a Colts fan Web site.

''Not only was he a great football coach for the Bucs, but he is an even better person,'' one Tampa Bay fan wrote. ''It makes me sick that it happened at this time of year to a person that is so giving and caring.''

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hate to hear this happend to the Dungy family any death in the family but especially right before christmas makes it even harder.... My best wishes to the Dungy family... :(

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Colts | James Dungy's death an apparent suicide
Thu, 22 Dec 2005 13:57:13 -0800

Updating ongoing reports, Robert Green, of Reuters, reports Dick Bailey, a spokesman for the Hillsborough Medical Examiner, said an autopsy on <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/19/nfl">Indianapolis Colts head coach Tony Dungy's son, James, will not be completed until Friday, Dec. 23, at the earliest. James Dungy, as reported, passed away in his apartment at the age of 18. While the cause of death is not currently known, the St. Petersburg Times quoted Bailey as saying Dungy's death was "apparently a suicide." When asked further by Reuters about whether it was a suicide, Bailey said, "I know of nothing to conflict with that." He also added nothing would be conclusive until the results of the autopsy were available.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
stewdog1 said:
Here is his myspace blog:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...dID=418 99442

I see that he liked guns and marijuana. Can we say rebelling against Daddy? Sad, sad, sad.
Heroes: The D.C. Snipers, cause they let ya'll crackas kno tha ya'll aren't carzy race in the world, plus nobody would ever guess tha they were black (i thought they were white). Malcolm X, and the Black Panthers. oh yea say werd my ***** Pac, and in case ya'll didn't kno he is alive and i've seen visual footage. Thats nice. I don't know if that was really him or not, he did seamed problemed for sure if so.

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dungy: Son Was Not Unlike Other Teens
By FRED GOODALL AP Sports Writer
© 2005 The Associated Press

LUTZ, Fla. —
Tony Dungy turned to his players and, speaking as a father, issued a challenge far more important than winning football games.

"You're some great guys, you really are," the Indianapolis Colts coach said at the funeral for his son, James, on Tuesday.

"I want to urge you to continue being who you are because our young boys in this country, they need to hear from you," he said. "If anything, be bolder in who you are. Because our boys are getting a lot of the wrong messages about what it means to be a man in this world. About how you should act, and how you should dress, and how you should talk, and how you should treat people. They don't always get the right message, but you guys have the right messages."

Speaking publicly for the first time since his 18-year-old son was found dead in an apparent suicide last week, Dungy also urged more than 2,000 mourners at the teen's funeral to not take relationships for granted.

He asked mothers and fathers to hug their children every chance they get. He implored kids to listen to their parents.

"I know if you're 13 or 14 or 15 or 16, maybe your parents are starting to seem a little old fashioned with some of the things they're saying. They won't always let you do the things you want to do," Dungy said.

"But just know, kids, that when that happens, they still love you, they still care about you very much. And those old-fashioned things will start to make sense pretty soon."

Dungy and his wife, Lauren, buried their eldest son Tuesday following an emotional two-hour service attended NFL stars, past and present, a contingent of league officials including commissioner Paul Tagliabue and the entire Colts team.

Four other NFL head coaches _ Dennis Green, Herman Edwards, Lovie Smith and Jack Del Rio _ also came to pay their respects at Idlewild Baptist Church, just outside Tampa. So did University of Washington coach Ty Willingham.

Dungy spoke for nearly 20 minutes, lovingly recalling James as a "mama's boy" with a "compassionate heart" _ someone who loved to smile and have fun.

Dungy dabbed his eyes and strained to retain composure. But his message was unwavering: His son was a "sweet young boy" who struggled with many of the same issues as others his age.

"As he got a little older, like all teenagers, he was searching for who that person was inside of him. Who he was going to be. ... And like most of us, I think he went through a time as a teenager that he wasn't sure his parents always had the best advice. He wasn't sure that we always had his best interest at heart," the coach said.

"My daughter Tiara said it best the other day. She said: `I just wish he could have made it until he was 20. Because when you're 17 or 18, sometimes the things you guys say to us don't always make sense. ... When I got to 20, they started making sense again.'"

Tiara, the oldest of Dungy's five children, is 21.

Before leaving for the cemetery, Dungy made a brief statement outside the church and, on behalf of his wife, Lauren, and family, thanked friends and fans for their support.

"We loved our son very much, he loved us and we miss him terribly. James was a good young man with a compassionate heart and we were glad to have him for 18 years. ... God has him now for the rest of eternity," he said.

Shortly before the service began, the Colts entered a side door to the main auditorium of the 5,200-seat church, filed past the open casket and took their seats to the right of the family section.

Dungy, with his right arm draped around his wife's shoulder, led the family in and stood in front of the cherrywood casket to say a final goodbye. The couple took seats in a pew a few feet away, then watched solemnly as the lid was closed and the service began.

Dungy left the Colts last Thursday, the day his son was found, and it remains uncertain when he will return.

A preliminary autopsy report indicated the teen took his own life, but the exact cause of death won't be released until a toxicology examination is completed in four to six weeks.

Dungy said James should be remembered as a thoughtful youngster who was intensely loyal.

"If he was your friend, you had a friend forever, under any circumstances. And I admired him for that because as teenagers that's hard," Dungy said.

"There's an `in' crowd and there's an `out' crowd. And there's a lot of pressure to be in the `in' crowd. But he didn't care. If you were his friend, it really didn't matter how anybody else looked at you."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser