OT-The USFL 30 Years Later

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For those unfamiliar, it was 30 years ago this spring that the United States Football League began play as the first pro football league opposite the NFL wince the train wreck known as the WFL ceased operation after playing less than 2 seasons. The first 12 teams to take the field for the USFL were:

NJ Generals
Boston Breakers
Arizona Wranglers
Chicago Blitz
Denver Gold
Washington Federals
Philadelphia Stars
Tampa Bay Bandits
LA Express
Oakland Invaders
Birmingham Stallions
Michigan Panthers

The Panthers won the first championship over the Stars but the Stars won the next 2 and was clearly the class of the league. My friends and I really supported this league and I was disappointed when it folded thanks to the idiocy to try to play in the fall thanks to Donald Trump. I went to a few games before the Stars left for Baltimore.

Some great players got their start in that league: Steve Young, Jim Kelly, Reggie White, Hershel Walker, to name a few. Anyone remember this league?

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother and I loved this league.

Mike Rozier and the Pittsbugh Maulers!
New Orleans Breakers after moving from Boston
Jacksonville Bulls
Oklahoma Outlaws
Memphis Showboats (?)
San Antonio Gunslingers
Houston Gamblers

OK combined with AZ to be the AZ Outlaws.

That was a fun league for a kid to follow.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
USFL is coming back:

http://www.theusfl.net/about.php
The USFL plans to kick off in March, 2014 with eight teams spread across the United States in cities that will embrace the league as a new form of affordable sports entertainment. Unlike its predecessor in the 1980s, the USFL will not compete with the NFL - it will always be a spring football league, and it will allow its players and personnel to move freely to football's highest level in its role as a developmental league.

seesred

Reaction score
I had season tickets for the Wranglers. I loved the team and hoped it would end up in the NFL. We had a pretty good turn out for the games. The cheerleaders were awesome. The 1983 Wranglers featured the League's 6th ranked passer in rookie QB Alan Risher, 12th ranked rusher in 3rd year vet Leon Calvin Murray, and the league's #7, #10, #11 receivers (1983 rookies TE Mark Keel, WR Jackie Flowers, and WR Neil Balholm, respectively).

Great time was had by all!

Go Wranglers!

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My brother and I loved this league.

Mike Rozier and the Pittsbugh Maulers!
New Orleans Breakers after moving from Boston
Jacksonville Bulls
Oklahoma Outlaws
Memphis Showboats (?)
San Antonio Gunslingers
Houston Gamblers

OK combined with AZ to be the AZ Outlaws.

That was a fun league for a kid to follow.

Rozier ended up in Jacksonville folded giving the Bulls a backfield of Rozier & Archie Griffin gave them 3 Heisman's in the backfield. Incidentally, if it weren't for the Bulls there would have never been the Jaguars.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Arizona franchise had a weird history. They were really bad the first year, then swapped all the players with Chicago and were a very good team that went to the Championship game and then merged with Oklahoma to become the Outlaws.
Their very first draft pick was Eric Dickerson. Never played here though.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Lots of great players that would be NFL players or had NFL careers played in the USFL & I enjoyed watching it. Hard to believe its been 30 yrs.

Several former Cardinals donned USFL jerseys including former greats WR Mel Gray & OT Luis Sharpe. :D

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

My mini helmets for the 2 AZ USFL teams. I loved it, got my first love for football through the USFL.

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
went to most games, at half time that is. they would open the gates at half time and you could walk right in. we would sit on the east side right behind the Wranglers/Outlaws sideline. good times!

Last edited:

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Arizona franchise had a weird history. They were really bad the first year, then swapped all the players with Chicago and were a very good team that went to the Championship game and then merged with Oklahoma to become the Outlaws.
Their very first draft pick was Eric Dickerson. Never played here though.

And they got pasted in that championship game too.
http://www.usfl.info/wranglers/

And this site, when working, has some throwback shirts
http://www.throwbackmax.com/html/arizona_wranglers.html

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I also have the inaugural season Wranglers stein, it has the schedule printed on it and pennants for the AZ teams...they all have a place of honor in my man cave.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Still got my Wranglers cap. Loved that league and have great memories of taking my 2 boys and my dad to a game at SDS.

Fun times.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

My mini helmets for the 2 AZ USFL teams. I loved it, got my first love for football through the USFL.

Sweet. Willing to give up your secret on where you found these?

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Murray up the middle!
MURRAY, Calvin RB 5-11 185 '83 Ohio St.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And they got pasted in that championship game too.
http://www.usfl.info/wranglers/

And this site, when working, has some throwback shirts
http://www.throwbackmax.com/html/arizona_wranglers.html
That 84 team, after the franchise swap w/ Chicago, was stacked. Greg Landry, 2- 1000 yd rushers in Kevin Long and Tim Spencer, Trumain Johnson @ WR, Frank Minnifield and Luther Bradley in the secondary, John Lee, Kit Lathrop and Karl Lorch on the Dline- they must have had 40 sacks between them.

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
Good times. I went to about 8 Philadelphia Stars games(including the final championship game against Oakland at the Meadowlands) but was a die hard Generals fan. I picked them just based on their helmet before they even signed Walker, but they sucked in year one. The next 2 seasons they played much better and owned the Stars in regular season, but couldn't beat them in the playoffs.
I used to love ESPN coverage and I think it was the late Tom Mees who did the USFL highlights for them. Games were on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and ABC had a Sunday game. I would watch any game, even if it was the San Antonio Gunslingers vs the Pittsburgh Maulers; again, good times.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I had season tickets for the Wranglers. I loved the team and hoped it would end up in the NFL. We had a pretty good turn out for the games. The cheerleaders were awesome. The 1983 Wranglers featured the League's 6th ranked passer in rookie QB Alan Risher, 12th ranked rusher in 3rd year vet Leon Calvin Murray, and the league's #7, #10, #11 receivers (1983 rookies TE Mark Keel, WR Jackie Flowers, and WR Neil Balholm, respectively).

Great time was had by all!

Go Wranglers!
Risher led them to that big 4th qtr comback against the Blitz. That was my first live pro football game.