Overrated Coaches

brandon

Rookie
Reaction score
It is quite amusing to watch ESPN say great things about coaches that have done NOTHING to turn around their teams.

EX 1) Joe Gibbs- This guy takes the cake. Many experts for TV and magazines at the beginning of the year had the Skins making the playoffs. Hmmm...

EX 2) Bill Parcells- Some of you may disagree, and I'll respect that, but Parcell's presence in Dallas is useless. I can't wait until I stop hearing about how great he is in Dallas- they're 3-7! :rolleyes:

EX 3) Marty Schottenheimer- Maybe I shoulda kept him out of this list b/c the Chargers seem to be finally clicking, but nullifying the last couple of weeks, this guy's accomplishments seem like nothing compared to Green's accomplishments in AZ.

What do these overrated coaches have in common? Dennis Green beats em all out! Yes, he has had an occasional mumble from a Sportscenter anchor about his presence in AZ, but compared to the lip these other coaches received when they arrived, Green hasn't gotten any respect. It's only a matter of time, Cardinals fans, b/f the NFL wakes up and makes a HUGE deal of Green and says he is the best coach in the NFL because he turned around the armpit of the NFL and made them winners.

By the way, in the HIGHLY UNLIKELY event that Dennis Green does fail in his job, at least he won't have much media to turn to. :D

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd take Parcells over Green in a NY minute. Who's to say that any other coach wouldn't be 0-fer in Dallas this year?

The only think Parcells has ever done is take teams to the playoffs at the very least, two out of four (and counting) to the superbowl, and won a couple, too.

I just I don't see how a guy like that can be over-rated.

Schottenhiemer? Sure. Gibbs? Maybe--give him a year to get reacclimated. He's been out of coaching for a while. He has a pretty impressive resume, too. Hard to argue with his accomplishments.

Would you say that Barry Sanders is over rated if you watched a 3 game stretch when he only rushed for 250 yards? Probably not, because you'd give him the some leeway because he's one of the best to very play. Maybe you out to look at the big picture before you go proclaiming HOF coaches like Parcells "overrated."

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
brandon said:
It is quite amusing to watch ESPN say great things about coaches that have done NOTHING to turn around their teams.

EX 1) Joe Gibbs- This guy takes the cake. Many experts for TV and magazines at the beginning of the year had the Skins making the playoffs. Hmmm...

EX 2) Bill Parcells- Some of you may disagree, and I'll respect that, but Parcell's presence in Dallas is useless. I can't wait until I stop hearing about how great he is in Dallas- they're 3-7! :rolleyes:

EX 3) Marty Schottenheimer- Maybe I shoulda kept him out of this list b/c the Chargers seem to be finally clicking, but nullifying the last couple of weeks, this guy's accomplishments seem like nothing compared to Green's accomplishments in AZ.

What do these overrated coaches have in common? Dennis Green beats em all out! Yes, he has had an occasional mumble from a Sportscenter anchor about his presence in AZ, but compared to the lip these other coaches received when they arrived, Green hasn't gotten any respect. It's only a matter of time, Cardinals fans, b/f the NFL wakes up and makes a HUGE deal of Green and says he is the best coach in the NFL because he turned around the armpit of the NFL and made them winners.

By the way, in the HIGHLY UNLIKELY event that Dennis Green does fail in his job, at least he won't have much media to turn to. :D

I don't think Marty is overrated. He's threatened with firing every year in SD and has people in the news media calling for it (up until this year) how is that being overrated?

What about Coach Mac? Last year he had the media in love with him, saying it wasn't his fault the cardinals were so bad... But then he got fired and I never heard anything more about him from the media. Was he overrated?

OP
OP
B

brandon

Rookie
Reaction score
My main argument here was that Green, who has turned this team around to having playoff hopes this late in the season, has gotten close to no gratuity for his accomplishments. Joe Gibbs got more before he even started the season. Bill Parcells did as well. Both have worse records than us right now.

Coach Mac was an awesome coach in my opinion. He only got respect from the media because of the way he wore his heart out on his sleeve. He didn't get that attention b/c the media thought he was turning the Cardinals around.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
brandon said:
My main argument here was that Green, who has turned this team around to having playoff hopes this late in the season, has gotten close to no gratuity for his accomplishments. Joe Gibbs got more before he even started the season. Bill Parcells did as well. Both have worse records than us right now.

Coach Mac was an awesome coach in my opinion. He only got respect from the media because of the way he wore his heart out on his sleeve. He didn't get that attention b/c the media thought he was turning the Cardinals around.
Parcells took a team that was widely thought would be the worst in the NFL last year to the playoffs. He struggles this year and he's overrated?

Also, what made Mac a great head coach? That assertion doesn't help your arguement for calling Gibbs and Parcells overrated.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
HeavyB3 said:
I don't think Marty is overrated. He's threatened with firing every year in SD and has people in the news media calling for it (up until this year) how is that being overrated?

What about Coach Mac? Last year he had the media in love with him, saying it wasn't his fault the cardinals were so bad... But then he got fired and I never heard anything more about him from the media. Was he overrated?

I think these coaches show how important TALENT is on a team, no matter how good these coaches are. All are quality, but there is only so much you can do with bubble gum and string to win games with a talent lacking team.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Parcells quit his last three jobs. He'll quit this one too. His problem is that he's a lousy personnel guy but a good coach with no staying power. Don't like him. Don't want him.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
CardinalChris said:
I think these coaches show how important TALENT is on a team, no matter how good these coaches are. All are quality, but there is only so much you can do with bubble gum and string to win games with a talent lacking team.

Like Barry Switzer always said:

"It's not your Xs and your Os, its your Jimmys and your Joes!

If it was all coaching, then you would see more weird stuff happen in college football. Really its a mix of

1. Front office
2. Coaching
3. Talent

Sure, Stoops is bringing in truck loads of talent every year, including guys like Adrian Peterson (and a QB out of TX named Bromar, might be special, you heard it here first).

But OU is a juagernaught really because of

1. Joe Castisglione a great AD
2. Bob Stoops, a great administrator and recruiter.
3. Excellent assistant coaches all the way down to the strength and conditioning coach.
4. Overwhelming talent

Thats where the Cardinals need to get to. You need excellence in all these areas to be a great team.

Great coaches like Belichick and Stoops are merely part of excellent organizations.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crimson Warrior said:
Like Barry Switzer always said:

"It's not your Xs and your Os, its your Jimmys and your Joes!

If it was all coaching, then you would see more weird stuff happen in college football. Really its a mix of

1. Front office
2. Coaching
3. Talent

Sure, Stoops is bringing in truck loads of talent every year, including guys like Adrian Peterson (and a QB out of TX named Bromar, might be special, you heard it here first).

But OU is a juagernaught really because of

1. Joe Castisglione a great AD
2. Bob Stoops, a great administrator and recruiter.
3. Excellent assistant coaches all the way down to the strength and conditioning coach.
4. Overwhelming talent

Thats where the Cardinals need to get to. You need excellence in all these areas to be a great team.

Great coaches like Belichick and Stoops are merely part of excellent organizations.

You can't compare Oklahoma's success to the pros. The Sooners do pay their players too and their record of academic futility is well documented. Oklahoma and Miami succeed because they cheat. End of story. That's why your #4. "Overwhelming talent" is the key in your list.

I'm an Irishman. When we cheated too, under Lou Holtz, we won too. We had rapists, academic non-qualifiers and all-jerk teams, but we won a national championship.

So, apologies to you personally Crimson, but the only way to win today in college is to cheat. Witness Ohio State, Florida State, and Tennessee with their wonderful 17 % graduation rate.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang guys give brandon a lil leeway here. He is still in HS if I remember correctly. I doubt he can even remember back to when Giggs and Parcells were on top.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
You can't compare Oklahoma's success to the pros. The Sooners do pay their players too and their record of academic futility is well documented. Oklahoma and Miami succeed because they cheat. End of story. That's why your #4. "Overwhelming talent" is the key in your list.

I'm an Irishman. When we cheated too, under Lou Holtz, we won too. We had rapists, academic non-qualifiers and all-jerk teams, but we won a national championship.

So, apologies to you personally Crimson, but the only way to win today in college is to cheat. Witness Ohio State, Florida State, and Tennessee with their wonderful 17 % graduation rate.

hmmmmm......

I have no illusions about any big time football-factory school, including OU. There are millions, and millions (and millions) of dollars on the line in college football, and players are treated preferentially. They get away with things that other 18 - 22 year old men might not get away with.

I guess I get you point Skkorp.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Marty Schottenheimer? Overated?

You are flipping nuts!
Marty ball with the right players and execution will win you a super bowl no problem. How can you lose if your defense is tight, you run the ball 40 times a game, and you don't turn the ball over. Schottenheimer is my favorite coach.

The Tuna could be seen that way, same for Gibbs, but both are pushing it. Both have had some serious success in the NFL.

YOu want an overrated coach? Steve Suppier, Steve Mariucci, or Mike Tice are overrated.

OP
OP
B

brandon

Rookie
Reaction score
I still stand by my point that Green hasn't been given the respect he deserves. RIGHT NOW, look at Parcells' and Gibbs' records and look at ours. Which coach has gotten the least attention??? DENNIS.

Gee does have a point although I still stand behind my opinions. I never saw Gibbs coach when he won, nor Parcells, only with the Jets. Looking at the present-day situation, Green is clearly the better coach and has gotten the least repect of all of them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05