Pacman scuffles with bodyguard

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reports: Pacman gets in fight with bodyguard at Dallas hotel

ESPN.com news services

Updated: October 8, 2008, 9:38 PM ET

Dallas Cowboys cornerback Adam Jones got into a fight with one of his security guards at a downtown Dallas hotel on Wednesday morning, several
media outlets are reporting.

Dallas' CBS affiliate, Channel 11, first reported Wednesday that Jones was involved in an altercation at the Joule Hotel in Dallas, damaging a bathroom.

Dallas Deputy Chief Vince Golbeck told the Dallas Morning News police were called to the scene at 1:30 a.m. Wednesday. Chief Golbeck told the News he thought Jones was staying at the hotel and may have been drinking.

There was no police report filed regarding the incident.

Worrick Robinson, Jones' attorney, told ESPN's Ed Werder that he had a conversation with Jones on Wednesday about the alleged incident.

"I'm not satisfied anything has happened,'' Robinson said. "I perform due diligence on rumors anytime there is an allegation made against a player I represent, and at this point I can tell you that I'm not satisfied that anything occurred.''

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello had no comment. The Dallas Cowboys said they had no information about the incident and also had no comment.

A source told ESPN that NFL Security has been notified and is investigating.

It was apparently a coincidence that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell visited Cowboys players at their Valley Ranch training complex Wednesday. Goodell suspended Jones from the league for the entire 2007 season for violating the NFL player conduct policy after he was arrested six times in his first three NFL seasons.

The Cowboys acquired him from the Tennessee Titans in a historic trade in April. Jones became the first player in NFL history to be traded while serving a suspension.

The expectation is that Jones is likely to be called to New York to explain his conduct to Goodell, a souce close to the player said. Jones' reinstatement is contingent upon his ability to conduct himself appropriately.

Compounding the potential consequences for the Cowboys is that Jones has been starting at left cornerback for Pro Bowler Terence Newman, who is attempting to confirm a preliminary diagnosis of a sports hernia injury that could sideline him for a minimum of six weeks if surgery is required.

In a sitdown interview with ESPN just before the start of the NFL season, Jones explained his decision to provide Jones with a four-man security detail at the team's expense.

"We have in place a staff here that really is good at monitoring what our players do," the Cowboys owner said. "Now I say this at the risk of knowing that in the next minute or in the morning I could get a phone call. ...When you're dealing with the numbers of people that we're dealing with and get some news that isn't too savory. On the other hand, this does call for an awareness on the part of any player that he is being monitored and the reputation of our team is at stake."

In his two decades of owning the Cowboys, Jones has established a reputation for taking risks on players who fit a specific profile. Jones says they must have a uniquely big work ethic, an intensely competitive personality and no history of substance abuse.

Before completing the trade, Jerry Jones told ESPN he sent investigators to Tennessee to research every incident in which Adam had been accused of wrongdoing and was so thorough in his background check that he and an assistant personally looked into every person to whom Jones wrote a personal check to determine the quality of people with whom he was associating.

Jerry Jones said he specifically informed Adam Jones he had lost most of his benefit of the doubt and underscored the privilege of playing in the NFL and wearing the Cowboys uniform.

"When we do have a player come to the Dallas Cowboys," Jones said, "I really do expect him to understand that, 'Look you've stepped on some bright lines you may even have gone over them certainly, and we've got to really get it back in the middle because all your benefit of the doubt is gone.' "

ESPN's Ed Werder covers the NFL.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
PFT is reporting that the guy he fought was the Cowboys'-assigned body guard/babysitter.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NFL Net reported this too. They said if any charges had been filed, Pacman would have been automatically suspended by the NFL per terms of his reinstatement. Any guess on why nobody filed charges if the story is correct?

From the sound of it any suspension will happen after we play them.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dallas Police didn't arrest him because they wanted him to play. Simple as that.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Dallas Police didn't arrest him because they wanted him to play. Simple as that.
I guarantee you the dallas area will be tougher on him than any opposing fanbase ever could be. the local dallas media really hasn't said anything other than there was an altercation at a hotel where he was eating between him and one of his guards.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I guarantee you the dallas area will be tougher on him than any opposing fanbase ever could be. the local dallas media really hasn't said anything other than there was an altercation at a hotel where he was eating between him and one of his guards.

Right!!! He plays for "America's Team" so nothing will ever come of this. If there are any charges they will be dismissed guranteed because Jerry Jones will see to this. Mark my words!!!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Right!!! He plays for "America's Team" so nothing will ever come of this. If there are any charges they will be dismissed guranteed because Jerry Jones will see to this. Mark my words!!!
ok....we'll see. my guess is if he did something wrong the truth will come out. if he got in an arguement or a fight with his bodyguard and there are no charges filed.....he's still going to get hammered by the media locally and nationally. then he will probably still have to speak with the commissioner to see what all went on. so pacman isn't playing for a team in which he'll get any kind of pass IMO. he's already on his last chance.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Did Michael "cokehead" Irvin ever get in trouble for any of his off the field issues? NO!!! The guy stabbed a teammate in the neck with a pair of scissors after having marital and drug issues. What about the "White House" where Cowboy players would have extta maital affairs with several women at a time? How long did Nate Newton spend in jail for a truckload of marijuana? To many incidents to name. I rest my case!!! These guys get away with so much because of who they play for and who they are.

Buckybird

Reaction score
The only time Irvin has ever been punished for anything is when ESPN fired him for drug use and he denied it. Listen to his radio show in Dallas and listen to him sometimes, the guy is still a cokehead!!! Slurred speech, and problems getting out his staements tell me all I need to know...COKEHEAD!!! They should be renamed the Dallas Convicts. Jerry Jones doesn't care who plays for him as long as he can win a Super Bowl. Jones would sell his own kids to win.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
The only time Irvin has ever been punished for anything is when ESPN fired him for drug use and he denied it. Listen to his radio show in Dallas and listen to him sometimes, the guy is still a cokehead!!! Slurred speech, and problems getting out his staements tell me all I need to know...COKEHEAD!!! They should be renamed the Dallas Convicts. Jerry Jones doesn't care who plays for him as long as he can win a Super Bowl. Jones would sell his own kids to win.
ok i see where you are coming from lol. I feel for you living in dallas. but I look at it this way. michael irvin was almost killed by a police officer. he was scrutinized heavily by the local media and the national media. he was convicted in court for cocaine possesion and served his sentence....worst of all michael irvin will tell you himself that he is responsible for the fall of the cowboys and he lost control of a leadership position that he once had on that team.

nate newton served more than two years in prison from what I know....but yes he is out now. it's not like these guys got off free with no concequences like you make it out to be. I would say for irvin getting dismissed from espn is nothing compared to what he went through in the mid 90s.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Irvin plea bargained his way out. Yeah, Nate served some time for his problems. How much time would me or you have served? To think that a Cowboys player doesn't get special treatment is just plain dilusional. Maybe not now, but in the past the record speaks for itself. What about Eric Williams? To just say because they are high profile and more scrutinized is just an excuse. Name another team besides the recent Bengals who have had more off the field issues than the Cowboys in the last 40years? You can't!!!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Irvin plea bargained his way out. Yeah, Nate served some time for his problems. How much time would me or you have served? To think that a Cowboys player doesn't get special treatment is just plain dilusional. Maybe not now, but in the past the record speaks for itself. What about Eric Williams? To just say because they are high profile and more scrutinized is just an excuse. Name another team besides the recent Bengals who have had more off the field issues than the Cowboys in the last 40years? You can't!!!
I never said the cowboys haven't had off the field problems. what did eric williams do? I know he wrecked his car under the influence of alcohol? I'm not trying to give excuses for their behavior or punishments. it's not up for me to decide those things. What I am saying is that they won't get away with breaking the law if they are caught in the public eye....which is what initially you were hinting at. From what I've heard about pacman I believe there is a chance he may get suspended by the NFL eventhough no charges appear to be coming against him. if he is suspended he will be released by dallas. in fact it is highly possible he is just released all together. that's the best thing for the cowboys at this point IMO. As far as the media coverage....it's not a form of punishment. that's not what I meant. I'm just saying that the media will make it known when a guy like pacman gets in trouble. you brought up the point that if it were me and you would we get the same punishment? IDK. If it were me and you would you have 30 reporters following you around like michael irvin did? these guys are or were celebrities in dallas and of course they are going to get treated differently. Michael Irvin's case was very complicated because he had a dallas police officer that hired someone to kill him and it was tied to the case because a woman who was also charged for possession alongside michael..... was connected to the officer in question who was actually convicted for solicitation. Now in no way am i trying to condone their behavior. they deserve to punished and held accountable. but at the end of the day i remain a cowboys fan for life because that's were I'm from.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Just a word of advice for my fellow Cards fans this weekend:

stay away from "scrip" clubs this weekend, unless you can leave immediately after it rains

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think CardShark was referring to Mr. Jones...
well if that's the case I'd have to agree. as good as pacman is on the field....and with newman likely out for most of the year.....this is a bad development for dallas. but at this point it's better to release pacman now and wash your hands of him. compared to having this play out in the media for a long while and then him getting arrested at a later time when he fights someone who will press charges against him.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
well if that's the case I'd have to agree. as good as pacman is on the field....and with newman likely out for most of the year.....this is a bad development for dallas. but at this point it's better to release pacman now and wash your hands of him. compared to having this play out in the media for a long while and then him getting arrested at a later time when he fights someone who will press charges against him.

It was about Pacman. Remember under the new rules that if a team signs a player known to be a violater of personal conduct policies, they are open to some form of sanctions if he continues to violate them. I think the league will have to take a solid stand on this because it has been such a publicized history. If they don't it will be a catalyst for more bad behavior from other players.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
This could be a big story this week

Lead story this morning on Fox Sports Radio and was prominently mentioned on Mike and Mike. Apparently Jones attacked his bodyguard while he was urinating in the bathroom. Brave guy that Pacman. :sad:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Come on, you and I get into a "scuffle" in an upscale hotel, damage is done to one of the rooms, they suspect we've been drinking, one of us has a record of arrests(like Pac Man). you don't think any charges would be filed against us?

Why not now, because they know if charges are filed, Pacman's season is over.

Goodell apparently has already talked to him, it's possible he could suspend him anyways but if he was going to, he probably would have done so yesterday.

Edit, apparently Goodell talked to him BEFORE he knew about this incident because he just happened to be in town at the time. So Goodell has NOT talked to him about this incident.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I heard on Bickley and MJ that Goddell is going to talk to Jerruh Jones today about the team and the incident. Perhaps he too will be out for Sunday's game, not that I fear him in pass coverage

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A football player is in a fight. Who cares? Oh wait, it is a Cowboy.

:ban:

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Pacman in trouble??? Shocking!! What's next David Boston using steroids??