Peter King: Arizona is being pretty quiet about the draft

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-n...aft-arizona-cardinals/?sct=hp_wr_a2&eref=sihp

Is it just me? Are the Arizona Cardinals in the witness protection program for this draft? The Cards, with the seventh pick, seem positively under the radar like no other team in the top 10. I had the chance the other day to look into their feelings about the pick and about the tenor of the top of this unpredictable draft with Cardinals GM Steve Keim, who, like so many of his peers up top, will be running a draft room for the first time.
Check out the top of the draft.
• No. 1: Kansas City, with a new GM in John Dorsey and new coach in Andy Reid.
• No. 2: Jacksonville: Rookie GM David Caldwell and new coach Gus Bradley.
• No. 3: Oakland second-year GM Reggie McKenzie.
• No. 4: GM Howie Roseman is running his first post-Andy Reid draft, with a mystery coach, Chip Kelly.
• No. 6: Joe Banner/Mike Lombardi together for the first draft.
• No. 7: Keim, a rookie.
• No. 9: Sudden rookie power-broker GM John Idzik running the Jets, with the added ammunition of the 13th pick after trading Darrelle Revis.
• No. 10: Tennessee's Ruston Webster has been the GM, but this is the first draft without front-office czar Mike Reinfeldt running the show.

That's seven of the top 10 teams in this draft with a front-office shakeup in the last four months, and an eighth, Oakland, still adjusting to a new football operations guy, McKenzie.
"The reason no one can figure out this draft,'' Keim said, "is the new people at the top, plus the fact that so many prospects that high have more of an element of risk this year. You look at the last couple of drafts -- last year, Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III at the top, your teenage son could have picked them. Two years ago, Cam Newton, Von Miller, Patrick Peterson, Marcell Dareus, same deal. They were obvious. This year, it's not so obvious.
"A lot of guys up there are projections, and with projections come risk. This is a solid draft, but there are no Megatrons [Calvin Johnson] in it. I've come to the conclusion after years of scouting that we miss more on the person than on the player. The human element has become so hard to judge, no matter how hard we work on that side of it. Having said that, we spend nine months falling in love with a player, then three months confusing ourselves on that player."
I've said that for a long time. The prep-overload on the draft has gotten ridiculous. With the league pondering moving the draft to mid-May, it could get worse. Much worse. Much more paranoia, much more over-thinking decisions that could have and should have been made the week teams leave the scouting combine. This draft should be held March 25-27 (after the early rush of free agency), not April 25.
The Cardinals could go a few ways in this draft, but I can't see them passing on one of the top three tackles (Eric Fisher, Luke Joeckel, Lane Johnson) if one of them is there at seven.
"I absolutely think there's a very good chance all three will be gone by seven,'' said Keim -- and he was emphatic about that.
"You know what you don't see a lot of quality in when you get to veteran free agency? Three things: left tackles, cornerbacks who can run, and pass rushers. And quarterbacks, obviously. So if you've got a chance to get a tackle you think can play right away at a pretty high level, there's going to be a rush for them.''
In my mock draft, I had Johnson there for Arizona, and Arizona taking him. Others have him gone by then. Todd McShay of ESPN had the three tackles going 1-2-4. No clues from Keim, but if the big three are gone, I could see a reach for the most electric player in the draft, receiver Tavon Austin, or a pass rusher like Ziggy Ansah or Dion Jordan.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love Dion Jordan. I have pretty much dismissed it as I thought he would be gone by 7.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So he projects us to 'reach' for a pick.

You never know. Sometimes there is no other option and you can't trade back.

But that said I do think Keim and Arians believe they want to do everything possible to avoid reaching for a player. They want a guy who is ready from day 1 to start.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Who says that Warmack would be a reach at the #7 pick? Yes, I know he is a guard. So was Fred Hutchinson.

OP
OP
A

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not going to say a word.

Ok, I have to. TA a possibility for Cards according to King. Hmm...

That is purely speculation on King's part. It's pretty obvious that Keim didn't really give him much information on their thought process. I don't think King knows more than anybody else outside of the organization on where the Cards are going with #7.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That is purely speculation on King's part. It's pretty obvious that Keim didn't really give him much information on their thought process. I don't think King knows more than anybody else outside of the organization on where the Cards are going with #7.

No doubt. Every single one of us on this board is speculating. Which means, in the immortal words of William Goldman, "Nobody knows anything."

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The Cards are playing this draft wonderfully, the objective is not to let any team know what you are doing and be scared you could turn on a dime and take their player...kudos Front Office :)

FORKTUNG

Registered
Reaction score
BA pretty much summed it up
BPA then needs all things being close to equal
I see cards standing pat

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think some team will draft a QB in the top 7, likely Geno Smith. I'm hoping.

Something always seems to happen early in the NFL draft that reshuffles the cards and panics teams. I think the Cardinals are prepared and will stand pat unless they can move down and still get the player they want.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I still think some team will draft a QB in the top 7, likely Geno Smith. I'm hoping.

Something always seems to happen early in the NFL draft that reshuffles the cards and panics teams. I think the Cardinals are prepared and will stand pat unless they can move down and still get the player they want.

Seriously doubt anyone is trading up into the top 10 of this draft.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously doubt anyone is trading up into the top 10 of this draft.

Maybe. However, it just takes one team to be fascinated by a QB or other player to shake things up.

jjjcardsfan85

Reaction score
I think there will be trades on draft day this is a wide open draft we don't even know who will go 1 yet time will tell but love how the front office is keeping a tight lid on everything.

mwanamatapa

Veteran
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting, Greg Cosell in his mock, also has Tavon Austin as the Cards' pick. That's with the 3 tackles gone.