Peterson has tremendous talent and heart

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To play the Cardinals mock draft contest Click Here[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Peterson has tremendous talent and heart

Seth Polansky
azcardinals.com

When Adrian Peterson enters a room he firmly shakes everyone's hand, looks them right in the eye and gives them a proper "hello." This is a player that shows his maturity and his desire to be among the professional elite. He may not be just the best player available for the draft … he could be the best person available.

Widely regarded as the top running back in this draft, Peterson has been working hard to possibly become a top-five pick. And with the Cardinals sitting there at No. 5 it's hard to ignore the lure this young man has. He knows offensive schemes. He is easily coachable. He has that football intelligence coaches look for. But most of all, he is a warrior -- both in the weight room and on the field. You could scour the league and might not find a more dedicated player.

"I got that from my mom and my dad," Peterson said. "When I was young I would always go in with (my dad) and lift at the ‘Y.’ Little things that the normal 8-, 9-year-old could be doing. My mom was an All-American in track, so she had a great work ethic. She pushed me to be the same way. So I got it from both sides and it just stuck with me from a young age. That’s why it’s so important to take care of your body and keep your body as healthy as possible."

This has helped Peterson overcome injuries that hit him in each of the three seasons at Oklahoma. Freshman year it was shoulder problems, yet he didn't miss a game, finished with 1,925 yards, and was runner-up for the Heisman Trophy. That total is an NCAA record for freshmen and bested Ron Dayne's previous mark of 1,863 yards set in 1996. Sophomore year it was a high ankle sprain, but Peterson was still able to play in 11 games and run for 1,108 yards and 14 touchdowns. Junior year it was a broken clavicle while scoring a touchdown that eventually limited him to just seven contests.

In 31 games he netted 4,045 yards and 41 rushing touchdowns despite that trio of injuries. And after all that, Peterson was still one of the studs in his group from the Scouting Combine back in February. He went on to be even more impressive at OU's Pro Day by showcasing a receiving prowess not utilized the previous three seasons.

So where would he fit in with Arizona? Edgerrin James is a household name at this point -- a four-time Pro Bowler in Indianapolis that became the first Cardinals RB to go over 1,000 yards since Adrian Murrell in 1998. James has gotten used to being the lone back, as has Peterson. But the two realize the importance of having an amazing amount of talent in the backfield. They can go together like Deuce McAllister and Reggie Bush. Although Peterson is said to have the leg strength of McAllister and the explosiveness of Bush all at the same time.

"I think that would be a great tandem," said Peterson. "Edgerrin James is a great running back. I like his style. It would be great for me to go there and help the team win and learn from Edgerrin James.

"I’m approaching the situation to be open in the next few weeks. I’m just looking for the opportunity and how I would have to fit in the system will really determine what kind of running back they want you to be. If they want me to be a featured back, or a tandem, or whatever. I’m just going in there and do that."

Peterson has the size to be a workhorse back from the get-go. He is known for running downhill and attacking defenders head on. Scouts and critics are worried that he runs too upright and forces his way into traffic a little too much, drawing comparisons to Eric Dickerson and Eddie George. However, Peterson loves the contact. Weighing in around 220 pounds, Peterson feels he can be a force with some momentum. It's always easier to be the hammer than it is the nail.

And Peterson can do it all day. Just like when he was about two years old and wouldn't stop for anything, even to sleep. The nickname "All Day" stuck and has been a trademark every since.

The injuries Peterson suffered in college haven't seemed to slow down the way he goes about doing his business. His workout routine and the way he takes care of himself has helped with the mental aspect of getting over an injury. It's one thing to be healed, but it's another to wonder if the body is ready for contact. Peterson has that mental toughness. He simply said: "Stars feel comfortable when they’re able to do the things they normally get to do."

But there is another side to Peterson's mental toughness. He has overcome so much in his personal life just to get to this point. At age seven, Peterson watched his brother Brian, who was only 11 months older, run down and killed by a drunk diver. At age 13, his father was incarcerated for money laundering and didn't get out of prison until the end of the 2006 college football season. Then the day before the Combine, Peterson's half brother Chris Paris was shot and killed. Most people would have folded or given up by that point. Peterson, however, uses all of this to "run angry." So far it has worked.

Now the draft is about a week away. The rumors and analysis are going to be flying up until Noon Eastern on Saturday, April 28, about who goes where. Peterson said people are calling him just about every minute wanting news or offering advice. The guys back at the University of Oklahoma are curious about everything. And anywhere Peterson goes, there's someone who has something to say. He takes it all in stride.

"You just always have to remember where you came from. It’s really about staying humble and level-headed," Peterson offered. "My mom and my dad constantly are telling me if I stay focused and always be humble I can accomplish a lot of things in life."

Peterson said that he "would be blessed" if the Cardinals selected him. Just like most other prospects, his favorite team is the one that drafts him. He could make an immediate impact and would put yet another playmaker on the field. Defenses would surely have no answer for the Cardinals with Peterson, James, Matt Leinart, Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin on the field all at the same time.

And Peterson jokingly quipped that there would be no hard feelings with Leinart and Deuce Lutui. In Peterson's freshman year of 2004, he was the Heisman runner-up to Leinart and the Sooners lost in the national championship game to Southern California. To play with them would be an honor the 6-foot-2, 220-pounder insisted.

No matter where Peterson goes in the draft he is sure to make some team very happy. And there are plenty of fans that would love to see him wearing Cardinals red. If Arizona is the destination, Peterson plans to give it his all. No situation exists where he couldn't make things work. In due time Peterson is going to be monstrous No. 1 back. That's all he's been aiming for since he was a little boy growing up Palestine, Texas.

"My mom would tell me when I was young to shoot for the moon no matter what happens in your life," he added. "Different situations come your way. Get you prepared to be a man. She’s always telling me to set your dreams high and set your bar higher. Have a higher standard. Instead of reaching for the stars, reach for the moon. And just in case you fall short, you can still fall amongst the stars."

http://www.azcardinals.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=1654

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Why bother writing huge articles about a bunch of prospects?

Because this kid is the best of the bunch!!! I know we need a tackle, but if
we get lucky 2 years in a row and get Peterson, WE WILL WIN THE SUPER
BOWL. Quality lineman can be had in rounds 2-5.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Because this kid is the best of the bunch!!! I know we need a tackle, but if
we get lucky 2 years in a row and get Peterson, WE WILL WIN THE SUPER
BOWL. Quality lineman can be had in rounds 2-5.

:thumbup:

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you asked me four months ago to choose between AP and JT I would have said JT no question. I had a feeling about AP being awesome but tackle was our biggest need. Even more so now, but I just don't see how you pass on AP. Unfortunatly I think both JT and AP will be there like Davis and Tomlinson were in '01 and we will once again go O line. JT is a great pick but I would hate to pass on another LT.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
hasn't someone on this board posted in the past: "If you haven't learned from
past mistakes you are bound to repeat history". I know someone said it.
Hopefully AP is there at 5. If he is and Graves passes, I will then know we
made the mistake in rehiring this guy.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Don't think we'll have to worry about him being available. Pretty sure he's going to be a Brown.

If the coach and the GM get their way.

The Browns ownership on the other hand has said that QBOTF is something that needs to be addressed (hence why you see a lot of mocks with the Browns taking Quinn ... Ownership typically wins this type of argument).

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
If the coach and the GM get their way.

The Browns ownership on the other hand has said that QBOTF is something that needs to be addressed (hence why you see a lot of mocks with the Browns taking Quinn ... Ownership typically wins this type of argument).

Could be. I think they might like to see what their offense could be like with the breakaway threat instead of the plodder. A RBOF is a real need for that franchise. They might not be willing to make the mistake the Texan's made.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Could be. I think they might like to see what their offense could be like with the breakaway threat instead of the plodder. A RBOF is a real need for that franchise. They might not be willing to make the mistake the Texan's made.

If they wanted to avoid the mistake that the Texans made, they'd draft Joe Thomas

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05