Player insurance/cap space loop hole

GeorgiaCard88

Veteran
Reaction score
Very interesting read and sounds like a source of unfairness regarding this cap space loop hole. For those who don’t have a minute to read it- the one liner is that a teams owner who buys insurance on a players contract gets to use that money on the next years cap (since on paper it adjust that the player is returning it’s money on a given year). It’s a loop hole for owners to “buy” cap space.

From the sounds of it- the 49ers and eagles are huge users. I thought for sure the Bidwills would be way too tight to use this kind of advantage, but it does sound like we at least got insurance on Kyler and have received some benefit in the past.

On one side - it can maybe help a team bounce back from an injury detrimental season. Overall though, especially given that we have an owner with a reputation for being cheap, it concerns me that teams with big spender owners can use this loophole to create an unfair advantage in a system “the cap” that was designed to level the player field for all 32 teams.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You’d rather have Kyler Murray than his cap offset. I’m fine not competitively and financially hamstringing a franchise because Christian McCaffrey snaps an ACL.