Post Game Thoughts: DALvsAZ

iRobot

Veteran
Reaction score
The Cardinals posted a 12-7 win over the Dallas Cowboys on Saturday afternoon and left a lot of things to talk about in it's aftermath.

Even though the Cardinals were able to generate six turnovers on defense, which, means they have a total of eight turnovers in two preseason games and have only allowed seven points. Yes, you read that right..

Here are my thoughts on defense:

1) While the Cardinals gave up 342 yards on defense and at times looked like the Cowboys were moving the ball easily, they were able to keep the Cowboys out of the end zone for the majority of the game through turnovers. While I understand Bruce Arians said the defense will be judged on turnovers and points allowed, the easy movement concerns me only due to the fact that turnovers aren't something that are consistent every game on the level we're seeing them thus far. I think the defense has some concerns but it's hard to argue with the way they've handle the two preseason games thus far. When will it come back to bite us in the ass though?

2) Where was the pressure from the front line? Maybe the excuse of preseason football is what has been happening but I saw Abraham playing OLB with Campbell, Dockett, and Acho/Shaughnessy and I did not see much of any pressure on Romo. I hope this changes quickly because I'm not sure the secondary can hold up if we give opposing QBs a good amount of time to progress through their reads.

3) Mathieu, while not making any real splash plays, was solid at FS and continues to build on his performance from Green Bay. He did have one mark against him when he tried to jump a route and pick the ball. I saw that he got his fingertips on the ball but the Cowboys WR was able to catch it still and take it upfield for a 16-17 yard gain. He's going to gamble, this a part of his instincts.. but sometimes he needs to make the hit instead and he'll learn that as time goes.

4) Tony Jefferson probably still hasnt cracked the roster as it was one game and he was facing the lower end of the NFL quality spectrum but I think he has made a case for a bigger role in these final preseason games to evaluate him more.

5) Having Kevin Minter on the field with Daryl Washington was a sight to see. Speed and thumping, quite a combination. I think week 5 we'll see Dansby and Washington with Minter getting some rotation. I feel really good about the ILB squad even with Daryl missing time due to suspension.

Most surprising from this game is the fact that off of six turnovers, the Cardinals were only able to materialize 12 points. You simple cannot get that many turnovers from your defense and not put up at least double the points. Arizona was 0 out of 5 red zone attempts and their only points came from Jay Feely.

Here are my thoughts on offense:

1) Speaking of Feely, his inconsistency as a kicker is becoming prevalent and giving me cause for concern. He was able to hit a long 54 yarder today but still showed his struggles by shankapotomousing a 30 yarder.

2) Palmer looked erratic at times today but I think that's mostly the QB and WRs still learning the ebb and flow of their interpersonal dynamics.

3) Mendenhall, if given good run blocking, is the best back we have on the roster. Although, I did like some of what I saw from Ellington and would like to see more of him with the 1st unit. Stepfan Taylor is Stepfan Taylor... he'll churn out tough yards and occasionally get a good 7-10 yard gain.

4) I mentioned this on Twitter but, I really TRULY believe the WR corp will be: Fitz, Floyd, Roberts, Taylor, Brown, Hawkins — no Robert Gill. Unless Gill shows something amazing these last two games, I think he's missed too much time. Kerry Taylor showed me that he can be a #4 WR at the very least, as did Brown and Hawkins.

5) I worry and wonder about our tight end position. The blocking can be downright putrid at times and I have yet to see Housler show any promise of "emerging" during the regular season. It's preseason though so I will reserve absolute judgement until the season starts but I expect the team to scour the waiver wire or attempt to look at any free agents. I do not know who is available off the top of my head.

6) We have an offensive line. At least in pass blocking sets, as Palmer continues to get a pretty clean pocket. Levi Brown showed that he can still be Levi Brown at times, but he has done a pretty good job at giving Palmer time to throw. I don't think Potter is the answer and he is starting to look more like a depth guy that you don't want to throw in there but understand in a pinch, he can give you so semi-solid plays on the field.

http://azbirdgang.com/?p=99
http://www.nfl.com/videos/arizona-c...89/Pre-Week-2-Cowboys-vs-Cardinals-highlights

Forgive cellphone shots on my TV lol but I didnt have this on the computer..

Look at this set.. And watch Housler in middle/end.. #DALvsAZ pic.twitter.com/qKzPTi0ZPB

House motions and ends up as lead blocker #DALvsAZ pic.twitter.com/DVi0TyhkFq

But blocks NO ONE.. #DALvsAZ let's the LBs right in to stop the run pic.twitter.com/nNCRZCpwgS

------

Start of good run by #BirdGang - Floyd motions in. 2 TEs. End result coming.. pic.twitter.com/rtjb0tQ20J

Good left seal. Can see @DarynColledge71 2nd lvl. Dray, House, Floyd. House needs better block & run goes further. pic.twitter.com/EN4MDmKUmS

--------

2:39 in 1st. 3rd & 1. @KULABAFI as FB. Big hole to right, think Taylor could of got more yards here. #BirdGang pic.twitter.com/GdH9DOI26a

-------

Checkout the hole on the weak side cutback lane on this carry #BirdGang -- @FonzoRB29 w/ the carry pic.twitter.com/NkFcfhHi7U

To which Alfonso replied...
“@FonzoRB29: @irobot83 yea I won't miss much of those... Till next time!”

---------

Anyone on Twitter? Come follow, I'll follow back.. love talking about Cards with everyone.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great write up.

I want Smith dropped to RB4 on this squad. Seen enough. The real battle is between Ellington and Taylor for RB2, so the sooner we see them running with starters the better. Taylor is plow-forward, Ellington swings for the fences...I like both.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Good stuff, thanks for the write up

- Stepfan Taylor is going to be a great short yardage back for this team, maybe a redzone force.

- There is no way the Cardinals keep 6 wide receivers AND use Patrick Peterson on offense. Why keep 6 wide receivers when two will never see the field ? Especially with much harder decisions to make on defense.

OP
OP
I

iRobot

Veteran
Reaction score
Good stuff, thanks for the write up

- Stepfan Taylor is going to be a great short yardage back for this team, maybe a redzone force.

- There is no way the Cardinals keep 6 wide receivers AND use Patrick Peterson on offense. Why keep 6 wide receivers when two will never see the field ? Especially with much harder decisions to make on defense.

I agree about Stepfan Taylor.. in fact, on my Twitter feed right now, I think if he got the ball in the RZ on that 4th down pass to Mendenhall from Palmer, he would of had a TD. Plus, on a 3rd and 1, he picked up the first but had a huge hole to the right that I think would of been an EZ 6 for him.

Cardinals will keep 6 and here is why. Peterson on offense I think is being exaggerated. I don't see how they truly intend on using Peterson for 50-65 defensive snaps and add in another 10-20 on offense plus special teams as a punt returner. I love Peterson but I think that is overuse for his body in a season. He'll get time but not as much as people are thinking.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm starting to turn against using PP on offense. Especially after seeing Dustin Keller tear 3 ligaments in his knee trying to catch a 3 yard pass in a meaningless preseason game. PP will take a lot of meaningless hits on offense, and playing offense is unnatural to him as his back is turned to everyone coming to hit him (as he turns for the catch, the same way Keller got popped yesterday). His normal inclination is to have everything in front of him as he plays defense, and he knows where everyone around him is at--on offense it's totally different, everything's going to be behind him and his vision will be turned to the QB. It's easier if you've played that position your whole life, but I don't care how well we runs routes, he's still not used to guys coming at him from multiple blind angles. Just don't think it's worth the risk.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm starting to turn against using PP on offense. Especially after seeing Dustin Keller tear 3 ligaments in his knee trying to catch a 3 yard pass in a meaningless preseason game. PP will take a lot of meaningless hits on offense, and playing offense is unnatural to him as his back is turned to everyone coming to hit him (as he turns for the catch, the same way Keller got popped yesterday). His normal inclination is to have everything in front of him as he plays defense, and he knows where everyone around him is at--on offense it's totally different, everything's going to be behind him and his vision will be turned to the QB. It's easier if you've played that position your whole life, but I don't care how well we runs routes, he's still not used to guys coming at him from multiple blind angles. Just don't think it's worth the risk.

I don't recall one play designed for PP21 where the 'd' wasn't in his line of sight.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Agree with this. Just too much risk for a guy we can't do without on D. Returning punts is risky enough.

OP
OP
I

iRobot

Veteran
Reaction score

Staff knows that everytime a player is on the field it exposes them to risk of injury but they don't play the game play it safe, they play it to win. But I think if they look long term, exposing PP21 to that many plays a game isn't viable and they will notice that.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
*Still think only five WR's (Brown and Taylor), with only four dressed on Sunday.
*Agree about the ILB's, but don't forget Brinkley. He's been pretty good in the two PS games.
*TE is really a mess unless King gets back and plays very well. Is there a reason, we haven't thrown down the field to Housler?
*Watford looks good to me, even though he's raw.
*Jefferson's first pick, I believe, was off Orton, who's a pretty good backup.
*Sure there is reason for concern about our Red Zone struggles and the number of yards allowed, but it wasn't all on our first group. My biggest worry is the lack of pass pressure, but it doesn't look like we're blitzing a lot. But I'm not sure.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the team's progress, but realize we have to do better.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BA loves 2 TE sets, that might change some since the TE's aren't doing much so far. If that's the case then we will see a lot of 3 & 4 WR sets. Maybe we need 5 WR's with PP chipping in but how many snaps does Fitz sit out?

Still not seeing the need for 6 WR's on the roster, especially if we can slide a couple onto the PS that can move up if need be.

Nice write up iRobot. I realize it happens every year where a fan favorite in TC and preseason doesn't make the team but I think Jefferson makes it. With the Honey Badgers ability to play nickel corner we can carry one less CB and an extra Safety.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
BA loves 2 TE sets, that might change some since the TE's aren't doing much so far. If that's the case then we will see a lot of 3 & 4 WR sets. Maybe we need 5 WR's with PP chipping in but how many snaps does Fitz sit out?

Disagree -- TEs are key to BA's offense, and Woofley has continually said on the preseason broadcasts that he thinks we'll lead the league in 12 (2 TE) and 13 (3 TE) sets this year. I think we need to seriously upgrade the TE talent on our team, but I think we'll see a ton of multiple TE sets regardless of who is on the roster this year. I think they'd really have to be that abysmal for BA to make a change, because it will mean throwing out a significant portion of his playbook.

OP
OP
I

iRobot

Veteran
Reaction score
Disagree -- TEs are key to BA's offense, and Woofley has continually said on the preseason broadcasts that he thinks we'll lead the league in 12 (2 TE) and 13 (3 TE) sets this year. I think we need to seriously upgrade the TE talent on our team, but I think we'll see a ton of multiple TE sets regardless of who is on the roster this year. I think they'd really have to be that abysmal for BA to make a change, because it will mean throwing out a significant portion of his playbook.

Not many FAs out there.. only names that stick out are Kevin Boss (concussions) and Evan Moore (potential that hes never lived up to)

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I believe that TE is 'first up' when reviewing the waiver wire, (or attempting to work a trade). I believe that will be followed by NT as soon as TE is helped.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I hear ya but if we are running Dray and Jefferson out there because BA loves TE sets then he is more stubborn than many think Whiz was. I'd rather have the Fitz, Floyd and Roberts out there with one stinky TE instead of Fitz and Floyd and two stinky TE's.

I'm sure his playbook has plenty of 3 and 4 WR's sets in it and if not Moore can add some.

My point is that you want the best 53 to make the roster. That will already be compromised when we have 4 TE's on it. Now let's follow this thought and hopefully decide we want the best 11 on offense on the field a majority of the time. If King can play to his standards of 2 years ago and Housler is half of what we hope he can be then yes I see a lot of two TE sets.

BA says he will tailor his game plan to take advantage of what his players do best. If Dray and Jefferson are seeing a lot of playing time then I have to question BA's integrity and or smarts.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Plus we have two VERY good blocking WR's in Fitz and Floyd and Roberts is above avg. This might reduce the need to have two TE's on the field as much.

OP
OP
I

iRobot

Veteran
Reaction score
Forgive cellphone shots on my TV lol but I didnt have this on the computer..

Look at this set.. And watch Housler in middle/end.. #DALvsAZ pic.twitter.com/qKzPTi0ZPB

House motions and ends up as lead blocker #DALvsAZ pic.twitter.com/DVi0TyhkFq

But blocks NO ONE.. #DALvsAZ let's the LBs right in to stop the run pic.twitter.com/nNCRZCpwgS

------

Start of good run by #BirdGang - Floyd motions in. 2 TEs. End result coming.. pic.twitter.com/rtjb0tQ20J

Good left seal. Can see @DarynColledge71 2nd lvl. Dray, House, Floyd. House needs better block & run goes further. pic.twitter.com/EN4MDmKUmS

--------

2:39 in 1st. 3rd & 1. @KULABAFI as FB. Big hole to right, think Taylor could of got more yards here. #BirdGang pic.twitter.com/GdH9DOI26a

-------

Checkout the hole on the weak side cutback lane on this carry #BirdGang -- @FonzoRB29 w/ the carry pic.twitter.com/NkFcfhHi7U

To which Alfonso replied...
“@FonzoRB29: @irobot83 yea I won't miss much of those... Till next time!”

---------

Anyone on Twitter? Come follow, I'll follow back.. love talking about Cards with everyone.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Brown and Taylor. Man, I like both of these young cats. A lot of WR's in past camps have come into training camp talking about Fitz and his influence. I SEE it in these two. They both are aggressive and aren't afraid to make a play. I LOVE what I see thus far out of these two!

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's time to see the one's on offense taking snaps together all week this week and all during the first half of the game against SD. Time to build some continuity into the offense so they can join the ST's and the D in on-field performance.

Those who are worried about Feely, shouldn't be in my opinion. His lack of length is not a handicap on kick-offs, (in fact it is really and asset). Those kicks short of the end zone will be returned, (right into the teeth of our wonderful ST's). Feely's kick-offs and Zastudil's punts should help us greatly with field position. So long as Feely keeps his accuracy, he will be fine with our ST's.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05