Q & A With Amare Stoudemire

fordronken

Reaction score
http://www.nba.com/suns/news/qa_stoudemire_050808.html

Q&A with Amare Stoudemire

By Steven J. Koek, Suns.com
Posted: Aug. 8, 2005

It is early August at America West Arena in Downtown Phoenix, and after a couple of brief trips to visit with family and friends, Suns All-Star Amaré Stoudemire is hard at work on the main court. Following a grueling shooting and ball-handling tutorial with assistant coach Phil Weber, Stoudemire sat down with Suns.com for an exclusive and lengthy interview, discussing the team’s offseason moves, his leadership aspirations, as well as the future of the franchise.

Suns.com: How is your summer going? Did you get a chance to take any time off after the season?

Amaré Stoudemire: A little bit. I took a little time off and enjoyed my family. I went to California for a while and relaxed on the beach. I went to Florida with my family for the Fourth. I’ve got a couple trips coming up in the next month, too. But the rest of this month and September, it’s strictly business.

Suns.com: What was it like going back to Florida?

Stoudemire: I’ll tell you what, I’m a lot more famous than I was before this season (laughs). I have a lot of fans out there and I appreciate the fans for the support. At times it’s tough because you have so many fans who are excited to see you in public. But it’s pretty fun for the most part.

Suns.com: How did your basketball camp go?

Stoudemire: It was a well-managed and successful camp on my part. We had guys come out. (Kings guard) Mike Bibby came out and talked to the kids. (Suns owner) Robert Sarver even came out and talked to the kids. Phil Weber came out and I was there every day participating – running up and down, officiating, coaching, the whole nine yards. It was fun. I was pretty much a referee and a coach at the same time. I’m going to try to do that every year. The kids are so excited to see me there as a player to look up to. Then, for me to be participating with them every day, playing around with them, teaching them, coaching them… They’re going to cherish that for the rest of their lives.

There were a couple of players that were pretty impressive. We had some great talent there. It’s fun to see because I saw guys that have improved since the first camp to this year’s camp and I’m pretty sure next year they’re going to get even better. Hopefully, we can help those guys, when they finish high school, to get scholarships, and go on to college and take it from there. The players are great students of the game and you can tell they want to get better.

Suns.com: You went to New York with Robert last month to ring the opening bell at the New York Stock Exchange. What was that experience like for you?

Stoudemire: That is a $70 billion company right there. For me to be a part of that, to understand and learn the stock exchange that day, and also to ring the bell, that was huge for me. From a business standpoint I was able to see things, learn things and become more knowledgeable about business.

Suns.com: Robert said that you were one of the first people to invest in his company after it went public.

Stoudemire: A little bit, not too much. I’m not the type of guy to want to lose any money (laughs). I’m very observant as far as different companies like that, but I’m not really into it like that quite yet.

Suns.com: Talk about your relationship with Robert. It appears as if you guys get along great.

Stoudemire: Me and Robert are just about best of friends. We get along well. It’s just like that with him and every player on this team because he’s that type of guy. That’s the great thing about having an owner like Robert.

Suns.com: Have you talked with any of your teammates this offseason?

Stoudemire: I talked to Steve (Nash), I talked to Shawn (Marion), Steve Hunter, Jim Jackson. We all stay in touch and we’ve got a pretty good relationship. We talk about what we all have going on, what we’re doing. A couple of guys are tending to their off-court business, restaurants and things like that.

Suns.com: How do you look back on this past season at this point?

Stoudemire: I look at it as a tool. Every player has a box of tools and you’ve got to use those tools to fix what’s broken. That’s how I look at it. Last season was a learning process. It was a great season and postseason, but we do have some corrections to make and some areas to get better in.

Last year was a special year. It was incredible as far as the 62-win season, then making it to the playoffs and the Western Conference Finals. That was huge in only my third year. It’s something I’ll always cherish and it’s something I’ll always learn from.

Suns.com: Is there a moment or game that stands out most in your memory?

Stoudemire: Western Conference Finals and we’re facing elimination. Game 4 we were down 3-0 and I really put everything on the line. I did not want to lose that game and I did whatever it took to win it.

Everybody was saying there was no way we were going to win that game. We were down 3-0, we might as well just roll over and let them beat us? No, I’m not having it. I’m a basketball player and I’m a competitor. The way I played that game is how I want to play every game of the season and take it to the next level in the postseason.

Suns.com: What do you personally need to get better at?

Stoudemire: I’m just trying to become the "point-center" that a lot of people classify me as. That is pretty much every position on the court. I’m just trying to master the game of basketball itself. I’ve been working on everything. Defense you can’t really work on until an actual scrimmage game. But as far as everything else, I’ve been working on my left hand, right hand, jump hooks, ball-handling skills, moves off the dribble, and just watching film and studying the game.

Suns.com: What is the difference between the Amaré Stoudemire at the press conference following the 2002 NBA Draft and the Amaré Stoudemire of today?

Stoudemire: That day I wasn’t quite the leader yet. I was learning, watching guys like Stephon Marbury and Penny Hardaway, Googs (Tom Gugliotta) and Shawn Marion. I watched those guys and I learned from how they carried themselves on and off the court. I was straight out of high school and I’m very observant. I learned from my mistakes. Then, I was new to the game and eager to learn.

My second year I learned so much from my first year. Then I got injured, so we had a rough season, then last year they brought me in as the leader of the team. We went out and got Steve and a couple of other pick ups, and we went to the Western Conference Finals. This year, we went out and got Kurt Thomas. Now, it’s championship time.

Suns.com: What does being a leader on this team mean to you?

Stoudemire: I think I’ve prepared myself my first three years. I wasn’t the captain these first three years; I was an analyzer. I analyzed the captains and the leaders of this team. I watched those guys, and now I’m ready to step into that role and do a pretty good job at it.

I’m going to be more vocal and I’m going to lead by example. I’m going to do whatever it takes to be on time, and make all appointments and meetings that I can.

Suns.com: How does Nash’s leadership role fit into your concept of being a leader on the team, as well?

Stoudemire: I think with Steve, he came into this team knowing that I was one of the main leaders of the team. Once he came and had an incredible year, the world looked at him as the leader. Myself and Steve, we both pitch in, say a few words to the team and encourage the team, so I think there can be more than one leader.

Steve was in the league for 10 years and my third year was last year, so I’m still a student of the game. I learned from Steve and now I’m ready to be a leader. I’m a sponge. I learned so much my first three years to the point where now, there are a few things I need to learn more, but I’m ready to win a championship.

Suns.com: Has the success so early in your career ever seemed overwhelming at times?

Stoudemire: Not at all. My parents and my family, they cry a lot because they’re so emotional. From where we came from to where it is now, the sky’s the limit and it’s only going to get higher. I’m pretty much the backbone of my family and I’m just going to take it to high heights.

Suns.com: Switching topics, you mentioned Kurt Thomas. You actually went to the Suns and suggested they pursue him, right?

Stoudemire: I went to them and told them, “Let’s get Kurt,” not knowing what the process would have been or what the process was. But, we needed an inside player and I spent a lot of time thinking about which player would best fit this team that we’d be able to pick up. There weren’t too many players we could have picked up, but Kurt was one of the guys that was high on my list. He’s a great defensive player in the post and he’s able to knock down the 15-footer, the 18-footer. That’s what we need.

Suns.com: How about Raja Bell? What are your thoughts on his signing and what he brings to the team?

Stoudemire: Defense. He brings that defense right along with Kurt Thomas. That’s what we need; more defensive players, more defensive-minded guys that are not afraid to pick up a foul or two. When I become defensive-minded, I have a tendency to pick up small fouls and that holds me back sometimes on the defensive end. So, now that we’ve got some players that want to play defense, as well, now we can do some damage.

To bring in defensive players and practice against those defensive players, that will help us as a team to get better defensively. I look at them as great pick ups and I might get G.M. of the year (laughs).

Suns.com: Obviously, we have to ask you about Joe Johnson. What are your thoughts on him wanting to leave and play for Atlanta?

Stoudemire: We would like Joe to stay, but from what I’ve heard I don’t think he wants to.

Suns.com: There were rumors about a strained relationship between you two. Do you think there is any truth to that?

Stoudemire: From what I know, Joe’s always been a quiet guy, but we never really got into an argument. Everyone gets treated the same here with me and the staff, so I don’t really entertain that nonsense.

Suns.com: How would his departure affect the teams goals or chances to succeed this season?

Stoudemire: I don’t think it does too much. I think we’ve got quality players who can step up to the plate and make things happen for this team.

Suns.com: Suns President Bryan Colangelo has talked about wanting to sign you to a long-term extension. Without getting too specific, how are those negotiations going?

Stoudemire: Right now, I’m just focusing on my game and what it takes to win championships. Money’s not really an issue. I still have a shoe contract with Nike and I’m well paid, so I’m not really pressing for money right now. But I’m happy with the progress. I’m happy with the organization, with the things that are going on here. I haven’t had any problems. Everyone’s been treated the same from the leader to the 12th man. So, everything’s on the upscale from my standpoint.

Suns.com: Talk about your desire to stay in Phoenix long-term, and what it has meant to you to begin your career here.

Stoudemire: I think Phoenix really believed in me and knew what kind of player I would eventually become, because of my work ethic and determination. They were able to pick me up with the ninth pick (in the 2002 NBA Draft) and ever since then it’s been uphill.

Suns.com: The Suns published a coffee table book specifically for you, as sort of a recruiting piece, letting you know how much they appreciate you and have enjoyed watching you grow. What did you think when they presented you with that book, with your number emblazoned into the basketball leather cover?

Stoudemire: The book was nice. There was some pretty good work that went into that. They had "Then," "Now" and the "Future" (chapters), and it was pretty interesting. They had (photos of) me in Springfield at the Hall of Fame, then they had me with the MVP trophy, the Ring of Honor, so that was neat. It’s a motivation thing for me. Those are things that I’m striving for and those are my all-time goals. Once I reach those goals, that book will be something that I’ll look back on. Something that I’m going to cherish forever.

Suns.com: Last question and we'll let you get back to work. What are you looking for this coming year? What do you expect out of this team after the successes of last season?

Stoudemire: Nothing less than a championship. We can’t accept anything less, we can’t think about anything else but a championship. We’ve got to go for it all.

I hope everybody on the team is thinking the same way. We want to try to win every game that we can. Even though 82-0 may not be possible, it’s a goal. If we come up a little bit short, then you’re still in good shape. That’s the way I look at in basketball and in life.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like Stoudemire's remarks in the last two paragraphs. I wish everyone had that attitude.

OP
OP
F

fordronken

Reaction score
This, and also from the remarks by Sarver in his interview really make me confident in the relationship between Amare and Sarver. I think that's a great thing to have.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well, the stuff about the contract wasn't too encouraging. He basically said since he makes good money from nike, if there is a max extension on the table he's not gonna jump to sign it. Rumors are he wants a player option in the third year, which is pretty scary.

frdbtr

Registered
Reaction score
Like I said in my "amare is the reason" thread. Amare Stoudemire is going to take this team to multiple championships. I knew this guy was going to be great the first time I saw him play in a Rocky Mountain review game. JJ would have been really nice to have here because he would have made it easier but within the next few years, fans around the league are going to be saying "put any 4 shlubs next to amare is all it will take" because he is the next great player in the NBA. Amare will do for Phoenix what MJ did for Chicago.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The rules limit how much a team can give at this point in his career. If Amare wants an "out" get more when he qualifies, he'll get it. He's not going anywhere.

I really like his comments about working on his ball handling and "going left". It was amazing how effective he was last season without being able to go left. I'm not sure what the term to use for "even more unstoppable" is, but lookout. :thumbup:

baltimorer

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
frdbtr said:
Like I said in my "amare is the reason" thread. Amare Stoudemire is going to take this team to multiple championships. I knew this guy was going to be great the first time I saw him play in a Rocky Mountain review game. JJ would have been really nice to have here because he would have made it easier but within the next few years, fans around the league are going to be saying "put any 4 shlubs next to amare is all it will take" because he is the next great player in the NBA. Amare will do for Phoenix what MJ did for Chicago.

You think Amare will win the defensive player of the year? Because, I'll tell you this much: If MJ didn't play the defense that he did, the Chicago Bulls wouldn't have been the team they were during the 1990's. Now, for a Suns fan, that probably would've meant an NBA championship, but if you think it's good enough for Amare Stoudemire to be the next, thinner version of Charles Barkley, than your thinking is wrong. Then again, I guess that might never be an issue, because "getting better at going left" won't better his rebounding numbers.

Look, most of what Amare said in this interview is great, but it's not going to work if his idea of improving his defensive game is telling Robert Sarver to trade for Kurt Thomas. And what the hell does he mean, "I don't want to play defense cause sometimes I pick up fouls." Does that make sense to any of you? That's like deciding to starve yourself to death because everytime you go on a diet you end up eating too much ice cream. If you can't play defense the right way, you have to learn to play defense the right way. It's as simple as that. Simply put, 8.9 rebounds and 1 block per game doesn't do it. Especially when you consider how dominant he can be defensively when he tries to. What happens if the Pistons make it to the Finals again next year? Is Amare going to say, "oh well, we made it this far, but Kurt can't guard Rasheed Wallace AND keep Big Ben off the offensive glass at the same time." Maybe next year.

And what the hell is all of that, "Western Conference Finals and we’re facing elimination. Game 4 we were down 3-0 and I really put everything on the line. I did not want to lose that game and I did whatever it took to win it." I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I.......... Obviously, Shawn Marion was worthless in that series, but I could've sworn Steve Nash played in that game; wasn't Joe Johnson back from his cheek injury? Am I wrong in remembering that Jim Jackson played really well that game, as well?

It almost makes me feel bad for Joe Johnson. I mean, the guy does work hard, and for the self-acclaimed "leader" of the team keeps reminding the world of how it was "I" who wins games for the team when JJ came back from a pretty serious injury to help out any way he could. Maybe JJ doesn't need to be the number 1 option; maybe he just wants the number one option to stop telling everybody else that he means nothing. It's hard to defend JJ, but ya gotta admit, Amare does make it a little easier.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, balti, but all the great ones have huge egos. They wouldn't be where they are without them. Ask MJ.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
hsandhu said:
Well, the stuff about the contract wasn't too encouraging. He basically said since he makes good money from nike, if there is a max extension on the table he's not gonna jump to sign it. Rumors are he wants a player option in the third year, which is pretty scary.

Why not? Duncan didn't sign for more than three years at a time. I thought he was smart in doing so.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
baltimorer said:
You think Amare will win the defensive player of the year? Because, I'll tell you this much: If MJ didn't play the defense that he did, the Chicago Bulls wouldn't have been the team they were during the 1990's. Now, for a Suns fan, that probably would've meant an NBA championship, but if you think it's good enough for Amare Stoudemire to be the next, thinner version of Charles Barkley, than your thinking is wrong. Then again, I guess that might never be an issue, because "getting better at going left" won't better his rebounding numbers.

Look, most of what Amare said in this interview is great, but it's not going to work if his idea of improving his defensive game is telling Robert Sarver to trade for Kurt Thomas. And what the hell does he mean, "I don't want to play defense cause sometimes I pick up fouls." Does that make sense to any of you? That's like deciding to starve yourself to death because everytime you go on a diet you end up eating too much ice cream. If you can't play defense the right way, you have to learn to play defense the right way. It's as simple as that. Simply put, 8.9 rebounds and 1 block per game doesn't do it. Especially when you consider how dominant he can be defensively when he tries to. What happens if the Pistons make it to the Finals again next year? Is Amare going to say, "oh well, we made it this far, but Kurt can't guard Rasheed Wallace AND keep Big Ben off the offensive glass at the same time." Maybe next year.

And what the hell is all of that, "Western Conference Finals and we’re facing elimination. Game 4 we were down 3-0 and I really put everything on the line. I did not want to lose that game and I did whatever it took to win it." I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I.......... Obviously, Shawn Marion was worthless in that series, but I could've sworn Steve Nash played in that game; wasn't Joe Johnson back from his cheek injury? Am I wrong in remembering that Jim Jackson played really well that game, as well?

It almost makes me feel bad for Joe Johnson. I mean, the guy does work hard, and for the self-acclaimed "leader" of the team keeps reminding the world of how it was "I" who wins games for the team when JJ came back from a pretty serious injury to help out any way he could. Maybe JJ doesn't need to be the number 1 option; maybe he just wants the number one option to stop telling everybody else that he means nothing. It's hard to defend JJ, but ya gotta admit, Amare does make it a little easier.

and here come the barbosa fans

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
baltimorer said:

:violin:

sunsfn

Reaction score
Superbone said:
Sorry, balti, but all the great ones have huge egos. They wouldn't be where they are without them. Ask MJ.

Huge egos are a part of athletes no doubt, but I do not recall MJ not including his teammates when they talked of a particular big game that was won.
MJ was always the proper one when it came to saying the right thing, no matter the discussion.

Amare is young and will improve his game every year, and hopefully he will improve his defense.

I think baltimorer has some valid points in his post, and we will have to wait and see how this all plays out.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The one thing that Duncan, Garnett, and Jermaine O'Neal have in common is that they get to play the weak side most of the time. All are tall enough to match up against the opponent's best low post player, but their teams protect them from getting into foul trouble by letting someone else play their main threat.

It is hard to defend the post without picking up fouls. In Amare's case, other teams deliberately banged him around in the hope of getting him into foul trouble. It was their only way of stopping him.

Yes, Amare needs to learn better footwork and yes he needs to learn to block out and yes he needs to understand angles. None the less, having him in position to make rebouns and come over to make weak side blocks will make a huge difference in Amare's defensive effectness.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
right George I think fans get a little confused with Amare they want him to be all things and now. They want Ben Wallace/Karl Malone/Garnett/Bird and Jordan put together "RIGHT NOW!!!! OMFG!!!"

Let the kid (just like Daiw just like Barbosa) find his way on the defensive end I am pretty confident it will come and all will be merry in suns land. If i am not mistaken this season should be his rookie year in the NBA, no?

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
if anyone looks at this guy's interview as anything but awesome, i have to wonder about you people. the guy has the 2 things necessary for success and he has it in SPADES: talent and determination. he wants a title, that much is clear. before it is over, he will do what is necessary for that title. to him, i don't even think that its that hard to accomplish.

i think he's more of the "multiple title" mindset...

baltimorer

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
playstation said:
if anyone looks at this guy's interview as anything but awesome, i have to wonder about you people. the guy has the 2 things necessary for success and he has it in SPADES: talent and determination. he wants a title, that much is clear. before it is over, he will do what is necessary for that title. to him, i don't even think that its that hard to accomplish.

i think he's more of the "multiple title" mindset...

Listen, I said that I liked most of what Amare said. Most of it is very encouragin. But let's be honest: Amare Stoudemire upping his scoring average probably isn't the key to the Phoenix Suns winning a championship. He averaged 37 points a game (wow) in the 5 games against the Spurs, and we obviously know that wasn't enough. Obviously people can say, "It obviously wasn't Amare's fault that the Suns lost the series," and I'd agree with that, for the most part, but watching those games, I really believe that Amare could've willed the Suns past the Spurs if he played with the same energy on the defensive end that he did with the ball in his hands. We heard Bill Walton say it over and over - Amare just stood there behind Duncan until TD caught the ball in the post; and for a 2-time league MVP, once that happens, it's probably over.

My problem with Amare isn't that he lacks determination; I just worry that he's not always putting his determination in the right place. I worry because, watching Amare last season, I think he can be the most dominant player ever, on both ends of the court. When he tries, he's just so much better than the other guys. Just remember the two games against Minnesota during his rookie season - in his first game against KG, he dominated with 38 points; in game 2, he grabbed 21 rebounds. If there's a rebound in the air, and he's around, there's only a few guys in the NBA (if any) that can get up to where he can, as quickly as he can. I don't care if he can score 40 points a game, because if he gives up even 25, it isn't that helpful. Whenever he decides to dominate both sides of the court, as it's more-than-obvious he can, the Suns will win a championship.

Before then, well, hopefully Shawn Marion's 3 pointers from the corner are going in.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
baltimorer said:
Listen, I said that I liked most of what Amare said. Most of it is very encouragin. But let's be honest: Amare Stoudemire upping his scoring average probably isn't the key to the Phoenix Suns winning a championship. He averaged 37 points a game (wow) in the 5 games against the Spurs, and we obviously know that wasn't enough. Obviously people can say, "It obviously wasn't Amare's fault that the Suns lost the series," and I'd agree with that, for the most part, but watching those games, I really believe that Amare could've willed the Suns past the Spurs if he played with the same energy on the defensive end that he did with the ball in his hands. We heard Bill Walton say it over and over - Amare just stood there behind Duncan until TD caught the ball in the post; and for a 2-time league MVP, once that happens, it's probably over.

My problem with Amare isn't that he lacks determination; I just worry that he's not always putting his determination in the right place. I worry because, watching Amare last season, I think he can be the most dominant player ever, on both ends of the court. When he tries, he's just so much better than the other guys. Just remember the two games against Minnesota during his rookie season - in his first game against KG, he dominated with 38 points; in game 2, he grabbed 21 rebounds. If there's a rebound in the air, and he's around, there's only a few guys in the NBA (if any) that can get up to where he can, as quickly as he can. I don't care if he can score 40 points a game, because if he gives up even 25, it isn't that helpful. Whenever he decides to dominate both sides of the court, as it's more-than-obvious he can, the Suns will win a championship.

Before then, well, hopefully Shawn Marion's 3 pointers from the corner are going in.

I think it's normal to have questions, but in this case, I think you're making a much too big a deal about Amare. You seem to be taking a very extreme view, when he's been like this for 3 years--and yet he still gets better and better. Every year there is a specific improvement in two areas, last year it was in shooting and rebounding, the year before it was ball handling and free throws. This year hopefully it will be defense and post offense.

Dustbuster

Veteran
Reaction score
Amare is undoubtedly an unstoppable force who will be the cornerstone of this franchise for as long as we can keep him, so that's not my concern at all. What I am more concerned with is the result of everyone constantly fawning on him and acting as if everything he says or does is golden, especially when it comes at the expense of glossing over his deficiencies. Fortunately, he seems naturally driven to improve, because often the result of always being given a free pass is apathy and overinflated ego. I would hate for Amare to get wasted in such a fashion. I don't think there is anything wrong with someone like Baltimorer bringing up points of constructive criticism, particularly when they are valid. Strength comes through resistance, and while Amare has had plenty of resistance in his young life, often teams and the media create a monster by treating a young player like a prima donna until they can no longer broach any kind of criticism or even instruction.

The way that so many posters make Amare deity is fairly disturbing to me. But, I must admit, I have a natural tendency to root for the underdog. And I must also add that on a talent level, a player that has Amare's combination of physical gifts, drive, and also intelligence is rare indeed.

While I'm already out on thin ice, can I add another observation? Of the major players that we have recently lost, there have been rumors of friction between them and Amare in almost every case. On our current squad, I would say that there is probably at least a modicrum of friction at times between Marion and Amare, revealed in part by Marion's obvious discontent and frustration during the playoffs. Marion has come out looking like a heel from the playoffs, but he was amazing for us in finishing off the Dallas series when Amare was struggling and had fouled out of Game 6. Marion tends to get overlooked and criticized, while Amare gets deified. These things breed discontent.

If Marion was the one up for contract negotiations this year, would he be voicing some of the same discontent that JJ has? Has he also felt like the fourth wheel? Tis more than possible.

Finally, (pardon the long-winded post, but this needs to be said right), I heartily disagree with those that think that all of our offense needs to flow through Amare. A large percentage, perhaps. But to do that only minimizes the effectiveness of having a multi-pronged attack. It is also much easier to defend. IMO, we lost Game 5 against the Spurs because we stuck to the two man game to our own destruction. Almost no one in the second half got quality touches or looks other than Amare and Nash. Amare was on fire, yes, but Nash had gone completely cold after an amazing first half. Yet we stuck with the two man game play after play, often forcing the offense, when I would constantly see JJ, Marion, JJax, and Q on their spots, often with plenty of room to get off the three. In succession, we ended our season with bricked threes by Amare and Nash. I was shocked by Nash's tunnel vision. But until Amare learns how to effectively pass out of the post, I don't want all of our offense flowing through him, because we then become a half court team with three observers. Part of being the Phoenix Suns is to realize that we have far more offensive options than that.

Amare is the heart and soul of our team, but don't give him a free pass on everything quite yet. I agree with what Baltimorer had to say.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Definitely wrong on that account too--I don't think there is ANYBODY on this board that doesn't understand the realistic shortcomings of Amare's game currently, most specifically, on the defensive end.

The difference is that most of us firmly believe that he can improve that area, and improve it immensely. He's just that kind of player, and that kind of person.

There is absolutely no reason to take the extreme route of thinking he's going to be a problem, because right now, there's no evidence to support such a claim.

Dustbuster

Veteran
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Definitely wrong on that account too--I don't think there is ANYBODY on this board that doesn't understand the realistic shortcomings of Amare's game currently, most specifically, on the defensive end.

The difference is that most of us firmly believe that he can improve that area, and improve it immensely. He's just that kind of player, and that kind of person.

There is absolutely no reason to take the extreme route of thinking he's going to be a problem, because right now, there's no evidence to support such a claim.

Was this a response to my post, because if it is, I don't think you read my intent AT ALL. I wholeheartedly disagree with you that everyone has a realistic understanding of Amare's deficiencies, or else they wouldn't immediately jump upon someone that points them out. And the fact that someone has the potential to improve any problem area is in no way a guarantee that they will do so, particularly if he receives constantly all that I said above in my previous post...

And I don't recall anyone saying that he was going to be a problem, only that such priviledged treatment often creates problems.

But thanks for the quick and final dismissal of my point, despite the fact that you cited no facts or real arguments. That allows leads to hearty discussion and debate.:rolleyes:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

I for one think he has the physical tools to become a great defender. He realizes he is getting a lot of ticky tack reach ins on guards. That's one of his biggest problems.

What has me really excited on Amare's offensive game, is that there were a lot of times he could have had a much easier score in the lane if he just had a hook shot in his reportoire. I am so glad to see he's going to add that. With his wingspan and leaping ability, a jump hook would be damn near unstoppable! :thumbup: