Quote in SI about Jake

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of you guys couldn't care less about what SI says, but I found this interesting.

This week, they had a quote from a friend of Jake's who said, "It isn't about the money now. He wants to win." regarding Jake's move to Denver. Well, thanks a whole lot. I wish it were the other way around.

Also, it said that Jake now realizes that he doesn't have to force things to happen. It took six years to realize this? :confused:

The article seemed to paint Jake as a good quarterback trapped by a totally rotten team. I guess time will tell.

I wish Jake well and hope he does well in Denver.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jersey Girl Cards Fan
I know a lot of you guys couldn't care less about what SI says, but I found this interesting.

This week, they had a quote from a friend of Jake's who said, "It isn't about the money now. He wants to win." regarding Jake's move to Denver. Well, thanks a whole lot. I wish it were the other way around.

Also, it said that Jake now realizes that he doesn't have to force things to happen. It took six years to realize this? :confused:

The article seemed to paint Jake as a good quarterback trapped by a totally rotten team. I guess time will tell.

Jake said himself last night he chose Denver because they are ready to go to Super Bowls, he said if he does half what Elway did there he'll be a success.

The problem is for the last 3 years he has been saying I've got to stop forcing balls I have to play smarter no more bonehead plays, and then the next game he's firing into double coverage again.

I think it's going to be a very interesting year for Jake they showed on ESPN today a side by side comparison of Jake and Griese and then wondered aloud why anybody would be so eager to get rid of Griese FOR Jake?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jersey Girl Cards Fan

Not to sound like a jerk, but I hope he fails miserably. I have watched him fail miserably for years here, with a lot of it being his fault....I don't want him to be let off the hook for sucking so bad.

I can imagine all the annoying "Plummer Rules, Cardinals suck" articles, and I just hope he ends up getting Shanahan fired, and him cut after 2 years.

AZ1766

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not usually vendictive but I'm with Krain on this one..... I hope he plays as well as he did for us........having him play better, would prove we are as bad as they say, and I just don't believe that.
Well I guess we could use the thin air arguement for him being more accurate and having more zip.....??????
:confused:

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
I would be shocked, absolutely friggin' shocked, if Jake plays better in Denver. We have seen the guy for 6 yrs and know what he can do. He cannot develop the mental acumen to read defenses over night. JP spoke for years about the need to quit making boneheaded plays......and he never changed........I do not see him making a significant improvement at all (significant being a QB rating of 90+). I predicted on a NY Jets board I go to that the Broncos at best will be 9-7. I also predicted he will go for 3000 yds, 17 TDS, and 24 INTS and a rating of 75. An improvement over here? Yes, but not one you spend $40 million on.

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
The amazing thing is, he was the one person on our team that always gave 100% to try and win, and he didn't bad mouth us when he left. None of you people know how lucky we were to have him here...yet.

Sandbagging is a golf term. An example of it would be complaining about how stiff your back is, and how hung over you are, ON THE WAY to the golf course, so when you SUCK on the golf course, you've already covered your excuse.

The sandbagging has already hit full stride. Just the last two days have produced these:

If he does do well in Denver:
1) It's because Shananhan is better than Mac.
2) Elway has been coaching him.
3) He finally learned he had to quit forcing balls.
4) The thin air makes his arm stronger, and more accurate.
5) He's got his money, NOW he wants to win.
6) Anyone would look good with Portis in the mix.
7) It's not Jake, it's the receivers catching all those underthrown balls that make his numbers look good.
8) Jake didn't win that playoff game, it was the Defense.

I'm sure the sandbagging will contine.
Denial is not a river in Egypt.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Watch out Lex! The gang is going to be on you like stink on ****.How dare you wish him well.:rolleyes:

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I refuse to wish anyone well that leaves the Cardinals under the pretense that they are NOW able to win Super Bowls. ESPN's Len P. believes that the Broncos made a HORRIBLE financial decision in signing Plummer & will PROBABLY pay big time for it over the next few years. He doesn't see a control freak like Shanahan coexisting with probably the MOST inconsistent QB in the game. Shanahan's record since Elway left is 34-31, maybe the Raiders were right when they canned him!!! He hasn't turned out to be the QB guru that everyone thinks he is. I HOPE PLUMMER SUCKS & IS SELLING LIFE INSURANCE IN 2 YRS.

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
I hope he does great! I hope he makes the Pro Bowl with a fair amount of regularity! I hope he wins Super Bowls...not just one, but multiple! I hope he makes the freaking Hall of Fame!

Seriously, I do.

But I also hope we beat the sh*t out of Denver the next time we play them!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lex
The amazing thing is, he was the one person on our team that always gave 100% to try and win, and he didn't bad mouth us when he left. None of you people know how lucky we were to have him here...yet.

Sandbagging is a golf term. An example of it would be complaining about how stiff your back is, and how hung over you are, ON THE WAY to the golf course, so when you SUCK on the golf course, you've already covered your excuse.

The sandbagging has already hit full stride. Just the last two days have produced these:

7) It's not Jake, it's the receivers catching all those underthrown balls that make his numbers look good.

The opposite could be asked though Lex:

What excuses will you make if Jake sucks just as badly as he did here?
1) Shanahan doesn't know how to coach.
2) Denver doesn't have good enough receivers
3) Denver's running game sucks
4) The defense always puts them in a hole
5) Jake isn't use to the weather.
6) His receivers run bad routes
7) Jake won that playoff game in Arizona, not the defense.

Lex give it up, your lover boy is gone. He will prove you right or wrong, and I expect you to admit it either way. I don't think he will flourish in Denver, and I expect that Shanahan will lose his job over it. I will admit it if he does do better, but again his weaknesses (imo) will keep him from excelling.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I like Jake but he needs to fail this time and then he can go somewhere and win it all after finally hitting rock bottom.

I can't stand Denver, the coach or the thought of Jake turning into stud muffin QB just because he's not with us anymore.

I don't care even if he goes straight to the Super Bowl he will never convince me that he wasn't a HUGE part of the problem here.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
I think the whole point with Plummer was his head. I could care less about arm strength and his lack of physical attributes. The one thing that was wrong was he 'just didint get it'

He didn't understand when to throw the ball away, when to take a sack, when to try to force it and when not to. Sure he has a firey spirit but that doesnt get it done behind by 21 in the 4th.

Shanahan can change a lot about Plummer-motions, strength, etc but he cant the fact that Plummer can not read defenses well and make sound judgement quickly.

I could care less about Denver, but its sad that this will be the move that the Denver fans will remember as the fall of Shanahan

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dan H
I bet Lex supported Jason Kidd when he left, too.

I've hated the NBA for about the last decade, and while I am aware of the 'personal problems' Kidd had out in Phoenix, I couldn't believe the Suns traded him for Marbury. Huge discrepancy in talent.

And yes, I know this belongs on the Suns board, but Dan H brought it up! :D

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lex

Really - I don't think I'v eseen anyone here saying any of that - in fact it's the opposite - people here are syaing they can't wait to see Jake fail because he sucks and Shanahan has never really proved anything w/o Elway. Lex, who has been coming up with excuses why Jake will be better? You -because I know his detractors - like me and Krang and Russ still thinks ther's a better than GOOD SHOT THAT HE'S GONNA MAKE sHANNY LOOK JUST AS MUCH AS A FOOL AS sHANNY DID WITH gRIESE'S CONTRACT (damn, didn't realize that was ll in caps and am too lazy to go back)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinal Bob
I've hated the NBA for about the last decade, and while I am aware of the 'personal problems' Kidd had out in Phoenix, I couldn't believe the Suns traded him for Marbury. Huge discrepancy in talent.

And yes, I know this belongs on the Suns board, but Dan H brought it up! :D

Tell me you're kidding - have you seen Marbury carry this team this year with the ridiculous amounts of injuries and talent so wet behind the ears, we may have well plucked them out of the coean. Good riddance to a wife-beater who never got us out of the first round and was never going to!

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Krang

First of all, I don't really care what any player does once they leave here. I think quarterbacks in general are over rated, and highly over paid.

All along, in this discussion, I've stated my preference was to keep Jake, since there was no viable alternative. I think I was right.

However...I understand that Plummer got a contract in Denver that would have caused outrage here if we would have offered it. I also believe that Plummer has landed the job he dreamed of as a kid.
That's pretty powerful.
He wanted to go to school at Colorado, but they HAD a QB by the name of Kordell Stewart, so he went to ASU. He grew up idolizing Elway, and his home town got Bronco games on Sunday's.

The fact is, people can make excuses EITHER way, fail, or succeed. I won't be looking. I watch my team. I don't give a rats ass what Denver does, but I'm glad they're in the AFC.

I hope we get a cheap veteran QB that's real good at handing off.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Re: Krang

Originally posted by Lex
I hope we get a cheap veteran QB that's real good at handing off.

Having one who didn't fumble the snap would be nice, too.

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
...and be durable, and be able to communicate with the media, and manage the clock, and run the two minute offense, and have a presence in the huddle, and be a leader on the team.

If he can't throw, and we don't have any receivers, we HAVE TO run the ball, right?

Sounds good to me.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
I know one area that Plummer will struggle with, no matter whom he plays for, and that's thinking. That and learning from one's mistakes, he can't do that either.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Krang

Originally posted by Lex
First of all, I don't really care what any player does once they leave here. I think quarterbacks in general are over rated, and highly over paid.

All along, in this discussion, I've stated my preference was to keep Jake, since there was no viable alternative. I think I was right.

However...I understand that Plummer got a contract in Denver that would have caused outrage here if we would have offered it. I also believe that Plummer has landed the job he dreamed of as a kid.

Actually his deal isn't that bad. The first 2 years are quite reasonable he makes just over 8 1/2 million including the signing bonus. In year 3 he gets a 6 million roster bonus plus a big jump in salary, that's when he'll get cut or asked to restructure unless he's become a good QB. It was one of those shock value contracts where the overall numbers sound ridiculous but the actual intent of the contract is pretty solid.