Raja Bell Game 5 Technical

flying_hair

Reaction score
Did anyone see the technical foul called on Raja Bell in Game 5. I read he got called for making an obsene gesture at the ref. Did he really do that?

TXBamanut

Reaction score
I thought it was for the push in the back when Howard was up in the air after the whistle was blown...if it wasn't for that, it should have been.

I didn't see an obscene gesture at all.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked at that play, and yes it was a foul.

However, if anything, a flagrant foul should have been called on Bell, not a technical. I tried Tivoing that technical over and over again and I did not see anything that Raja did wrong, well besides the obvious foul.

The referring has been absolutely horrible this series. Phantom calls on Marion, unwarranted technical fouls, putting themselves in horrible position to make out of bounds calls, etc.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The foul call against Shawn Marion on Josh Howard's dunk reminded me of a foul I believe it was Harris got in Game 4. Bell made a short drive and dribbled jumper along the baseline on the right side of the court, and I think it was Harris who was called for the foul. On the replay it looked like there was at least a foot of space between Harris and Bell.

The calls go both ways. I thought overall the Phoenix Suns got the benefit of the officiating on Tuesday, and last night the Mavericks probably made out a little better.

Joe

Mavzy

Go Mavs!
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
The foul call against Shawn Marion on Josh Howard's dunk reminded me of a foul I believe it was Harris got in Game 4. Bell made a short drive and dribbled jumper along the baseline on the right side of the court, and I think it was Harris who was called for the foul. On the replay it looked like there was at least a foot of space between Harris and Bell.

The calls go both ways. I thought overall the Phoenix Suns got the benefit of the officiating on Tuesday, and last night the Mavericks probably made out a little better.

Joe

I agree Joe..... It would be great if EACH game was called evenly...but unfortunately this is the NBA, sometimes no rhyme or reason to how they call it. Fortunately, it normally evens itself out.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:

Joe

On the play that you were referring to, there was a little contact on Raja, but Raja initiated it, and Harris was planted and in position. There was contact there, yet no foul. It was not a blatently blown call like the Marion call last night.

I agree though that eventhough I do feel the officiating seems to have a way of evening it out. It appears to me that the Mavs have been getting a majority of the questionable calls to go their way.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Good news, refs should be on the Suns side a little bit in Game 6 because the NBA wants 7 games. :)

nowagimp

Reaction score
Nasser22 said:
Good news, refs should be on the Suns side a little bit in Game 6 because the NBA wants 7 games. :)

The home court advantage does seem to include, at times, a better break from refs. There have been so many 6 and 7 game series this year in the playoffs, must have really increased the profits for all the teams. David Stern must feel like the dog that finally got his bone.

moviebuff316

Registered
Reaction score
Even the Anti-Sun Charles Barkley said the refs shouldn't of called that technical after the game.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I guess we should be happy it was a technical and not a flagrant foul because Raja would be suspended if it were a flagrant.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am more convinced than ever that the particular ref crew we draw significantly impacts the outcome of the game. Even if they call the game the same both ways, the way they call it will tend to favor one style over another.

Among that group of refs, they have collectively called 9 of the Suns playoff games. We are 1-8 with that crew.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Do the same trios of referees always work together in the playoffs? If so, I think that's a mistake. They should mix and match them, so that even if a team gets a particular official several times, they aren't getting the same complete crew.

The Suns would not have done well with the referees who worked tonights Detroit-Miami game. During the time I watched, it looked like there was a ton of contact on every play, and they didn't call a thing. In particular, the Piston players had bodies flying into them every time they tried to go to the basket, but very rarely got to the line.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They must change them some, because among the three there was only one ref who called a game that the Suns won.

If I bet on games, which I dont, I would definitely consider the refs when making a bet.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05