RAMS: 'Disgusted veteran' rips three teammates

Rams4evah

Veteran
Reaction score
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sp...D9959D64ADBE5EEF862570BC00149CC4?OpenDocument

'Disgusted veteran' rips three teammates
By Jim Thomas
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
11/16/2005

As if there hadn't been enough drama and discord this season at Rams Park, more arrived this week in the pages of Sports Illustrated. Most of an article entitled "Fallen Idols" was a rehash of the team's recent struggles on the field and in the front office.

But the first quote in the story was an eye-opener. As the Rams walked off the field Sunday following their 31-16 loss to Seattle, one anonymous Rams player - identified only as a "disgusted veteran" - told Sports Illustrated:

"We have three (former) No. 1 picks at tackle, and those guys are killing us. They're not playing hard, and they can't stop anybody. It's horrible."

The defensive tackles in question are starters Ryan Pickett and Jimmy Kennedy, and backup Damione Lewis. Lewis and Pickett were first-round draft picks in 2001, while Kennedy was selected in the first round of the 2003 draft.
Advertisement

Unnamed player or not, longtime Rams observers couldn't recall a time when a current Rams player had called out his teammates in such a fashion via the media.

"That is not what usually comes out of this locker room," said defensive lineman Tyoka Jackson. "So it's a little surprising. But I'm not surprised that we don't have a name attached to it. If there's not a name attached to it, it really doesn't carry a lot of weight with me.

"Who is this guy? Is it someone that plays defense? Is it someone that plays offense? Was it a special teams player? I don't know who it was. It's hard to analyze, because we don't know the intelligence, or the wherewithal, of the person who said it."

The "disgusted veteran" comments came on a day when the Rams yielded 165 yards rushing and three touchdowns to Seattle running back Shaun Alexander. The Seahawks clinched the victory with a dispiriting (for the Rams) 69-yard TD drive that drained nearly 6 minutes off the clock and included nine runs by Alexander.

Of the three defensive tackles, Kennedy was the only one in the locker room Wednesday during the media interview period. When informed of the disparaging remarks by an unnamed teammate, Kennedy replied: "I have no comment on that. ... I'll just leave that alone."

But some teammates, as well as interim head coach Joe Vitt, had plenty to say on the subject Wednesday.

"Personally, I just think that's rude and ridiculous for people to say something like that," defensive end Anthony Hargrove said. "To me, it hurts my feelings. I wish I could meet the guy. I think that's rude. ... And to not have your name in it?

"I guess sometimes, when stuff gets a little too bad, you've got to point fingers at somebody."

Vitt grew testy when the topic was broached following practice Wednesday.

"I don't know who the anonymous player was," Vitt told reporters. "And I will tell you this: I'm here to answer football questions - not tabloid questions - and talk about the (Arizona) Cardinals."

But isn't it newsworthy when a player points the finger of blame at one of his teammates?

"Not until I get further information on it," Vitt said. "No, I don't think it's newsworthy. Any other questions? About the Cardinals or about us?"

There was a pause. Then Vitt added: "Have a nice day." And walked away.

Fairly or unfairly, the three first-round tackles have been subject to criticism for their play this season, and in recent seasons.

Earlier during his media briefing Wednesday, Vitt assessed the play of the trio.

"I thought our defensive tackles have played pretty well this year," Vitt said. "I think we're getting pretty good inside pressure. I think we could have been better last game. But there's a lot a guys that could have done a lot better last game."

With 66 tackles this season, Pickett easily has been the most productive of the group. That total is second on the team to linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa's 87 stops.

"Ryan Pickett's one of the best nose tackles in the league," Jackson said. "People don't really understand that. Ask his opponents. Watch the film. If you guys want to find out how good someone's playing, just watch the film. Don't take my word for it. Words mean nothing, really. The film doesn't lie."

This year, the film shows Pickett as a player who consistently finds a way to get to the ball-carrier, even though he routinely faces double-team blocking. He has become more adept at shedding blocks and has gotten more penetration into the backfield this year than at any time in his five NFL seasons.

Pickett is scheduled for unrestricted free agency at the end of this season, and the Rams have expressed interest in signing him to a new contract. But according to a source familiar with the negotiations, talks have stalled because Pickett's agent is seeking $4 million a year.

Damione Lewis

Drafted: 12th pick overall in 2001This season:

17 tackles

0 sacks

0 forced fumbles

3 QB pressures

Ryan Pickett

Drafted: 29th pick overall in 2001

This season:

66 tackles

1 sack

1 forced fumble