Ray Horton: Getting the Arizona Out Of Arizona

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Ray Horton said a very interesting this last year after the Steelers' re-acquired CB Bryant McFadden---he said, "we are going to have to get the Arizona out of him."

While Horton did not elaborate on the specifics of his remark---one who has followed the Cardinals closely for the past few years may likely be able to infer what "getting the Arizona" out of a defensive player means...as in:

1. A willingness to tackle.

2. A willingness to show proper technique in tackling, shedding blocks and playing good, solid coverage in man and zone.

3. Not folding in like a house of cards late in games.

4. Exerting one's will toward winning football games.

5. Showing up to play every practice.

6. Showing up to play every snap.

7. Showing up to play every game.

8. Not pointing fingers constantly at teammates.

9. Hitting to intimidate the opponent.

10. Not making a plethora of mental errors, blown assignments and coverages, etc.

Yup---that---pretty much---would be getting the Arizona out of a player.

Now that Horton has reviewed the game tapes and evaluated his personnel, he has already come to the conclusion that the potential to have a Top 5 defense is sitting right in front of them.

We have heard Top 5 prognostications before in Arizona. Haven't we?

Wasn't it first Buddy Ryan who guaranteed Cardinal fans a Top 5 defense and that they should be glad to finally have "a winner in town"?

Wasn't it then Denny Green who---upon his hiring---showed us pie charts of the history of his outstanding offensive production as head coach of the Vikings and then guaranteed us that the Cardinals would have a Top 5 offense as long as he was the coach?

What happened with Ryan was somewhat mind-boggling, to say the least. He showed such a disdain for his own offense that he basically allowed his defense to beat the crap out of the offense every day in practice---something Ryan actually relished, even as a head coach. As a result, because the offense came into games so demoralized, it sputtered frequently, which left Ryan's defense playing the majority of minutes on the field each game. And guess what---it's pretty difficult to have a Top 5 defense if it finds itself playing the majority of minutes every game.

What happened with Green is perhaps even more mind-boggling. Green coached in Arizona for a few years, and yet it would be difficult for any Cardinals' fan to discern what Green's offense actually was. Green ran though an array of offensive assistants---yet, it was never truly clear what Green's direction for the offense was---and even worse, Green spent most of his time in practices and games off to the side, away from the players, mumbling things to himself. Top 5 offense? What a farce.

So---how and why then---might things be different with newly hired defensive coordinator Ray Horton and his belief that he will have a Top 5 defense on his hands?

Well, first of all, Horton hasn't guaranteed anything.

What he has done is plant a very valuable seed in his players' minds.

He not only expects them to be good...he expects them to be very good.

In essence, he has raised the bar on expectations.

Good move.

The entire mentality of this defense needs to change and Horton knew this even last year as DB coach of the Steelers when he said he had to get the Arizona out of Bryant McFadden.

So---how is Horton going to get the old Arizona out of the defense---and replace it with his new version of Arizona?

First of all---he is coaching a system that is proven defensive system in the NFL. The Steelers' Dick LeBeau version of the 3-4 has passed the test of time with flying colors.

It is a defense that thrives on making the offense guess---it is a zone blitz oriented scheme---and the guessing part is about which players from which alignments will blitz and which players will drop back into coverage.

A play that epitomizes the nature of LeBeau's 34 defense was the now infamous play in the Super Bowl where OLB James Harrison, the best pass rusher on the field, did not rush Kurt Warner as expected and dropped into the inner slant pass zone where he picked Warner clean and then rambled 102 yards for a TD.

Yet, we also saw in the same game how this 34 defense can be exploited when the QB makes the right read. Warner hit a streaking Larry Fitzgerald on a quick slant pass that Fitzgerald ran over 50 yards straight up the middle with because the Steeler safeties were split to cover the deep thirds, thus leaving the middle wide open.

The point is this: when defenses gamble---shrewd, savvy QBs can exploit them---and that is the worry.

So---how and why then do the Steelers thrive year after year in this 34 system, taking all the calculated gambles that they do?

The answer is four-fold:

1. They pressure you from gun to gun.

2. They tackle you and they tackle you hard.

3. They intimidate you.

4. They exploit your weaknesses.

Herein lies Horton's greatest challenge---

The Cardinals' defenses of the previous 12 years have not demonstrated the ability or the hunger to accomplish any of the 4 criteria above...which is why Horton, as a Steelers' DB coach, talked about getting the Arizona out of one of his players.

So---how is Horton going to accomplish all of the above?

Well---it may take some time---that is if the current personnel doesn't embrace what Horton is teaching and preaching---because Horton won't waste his time with pretenders.

1. They pressure you. Horton has already told us he is going to blitz on the first play. This defense will be positioned to be extremely aggressive. This defense will not play on its heels.

Does Horton have the personnel to play the pressure game?

The good news is that his interior three Darnell Dockett, Dan Williams and Calais Campbell have the ability to be sensational. SS Adrian Wilson is one of the most prolific safety blitzers in the NFL. And 2nd year ILB Daryl Washington showed flashes of being a blitzing dynamo last year.

What Horton has to find are capable edge rushers. Clark Haggans and Joey Porter are past their primes---but could be reinvigorated by playing in schemes they once thrived in. Youngsters Will Davis, O'Brien Schofield, 4th round draft pick Sam Acho, Cyril Obiozor, Curtis Greenwood and Brandon Sharpe have a wide-open opportunity to impress---with Schofield looking to be the most promising of the bunch.

Because of the uncertainty on the edges, it would help Horton to get some reinforcements in free agency, as well as a couple of good roatation players for the interior DL.

2. They tackle you and they tackle you hard.This will be one of Horton's greatest challenges. Good tackling requires strong technique and prolific desire. The best hitters on the defense are Darnell Dockett and Adrian Wilson---but even they show improper fundamentals from time to time.

The surest tacklers are Paris Lenon, Michael Adams and Greg Toler---which is good news for all three of them because Horton has maintained, "I want little guys who can hit."

Then Horton must find a way to teach and motivate the poor, unwilling tacklers on the team---especially DRC, if he is not traded.

Horton loves his CBs to play good angles in relation to the the ball and the man or zone they are assign to cover---and then react swiftly to the play and deliver big hits on the opponent who touches the football.

In 1st round draft pick Patrick Peterson, 3rd year player Greg Toler and 2nd year UCFA A.J. Jefferson, Horton has three players who fit the profile---because of their size/speed/hitting ability ratios.

Add UFA CB Ike Taylor---Horton's and DeShea Townsend's favorite 34 CB to this mix---to be the teacher on the field---and the Cardinals may already have the makings of a Top 5 secondary.

3. They intimidate you. The Cardinals' idea of intimidation has been to run their mouths off---and to display hissy fits if someone from the other team plays extra physical. What this has resulted in is more boneheaded 15 yard penalties than actual intimidations.

What Horton has to convince his defense to do---is to stop running their mouths and let their hitting do the talking.

In Dockett and Wilson, Horton has two of the more potentially intimidating players in the NFL---that is, if both of them can stop incurring late hit or unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.

The player that Horton will need to work on the most in this regard is FS Kerry Rhodes. Horton likes his safeties to punish anyone who catches the ball over the middle or up the sidelines. That's one of the main intimidation factors Horton wants and needs. Rhodes is a savvy, clever player who has a penchant for making big plays, but when it comes to tackling in the open field, one could hardly call him an intimidator. In fact, the word finesse comes to mind.

Rhodes' backup at FS Rashad Johnson has been lifting with Adrian Wilson this off-season and has added good muscle. Johnson will have a great opportunity to turn some heads this year, especially in nickel and dime situations.

4. They exploit your weaknesses. Remember the game where the Cardinals injured Donovan McNabb to the point where McNabb could hardly walk, and yet McNabb stayed in and picked the secondary apart play after play without the Cardinals sending the ranch after him? With Ray Horton is command, those days are now long gone. Horton will send the dogs after any weak link. It's a Dick LeBeau imperative.

Just the same---there won't be teams exploiting his defense on the same play time and time again, such as how the Seahawks threw the slant pass to Mike Williams at will versus the hapless and poorrly prepared Cardinals for two straight games. Horton will have counter moves and will make a ton of in-game adjustments.

Most of all, Horton will study the opponents' offensive lines and will load up on the weakest side and weakest players. There will be very good preparation for this---and the Cardinals' defenders will feel like this gives them an edge. That in itself will be such a refreshing change.

In addition to the aforementioned challenges---one of the main challenges Horton will have to conquer is figuring out how to generate QB pressure from a 4 man rush in passing situations.

He and the Steeler coaches had the luxury of being able to slide 34 OLBers James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley down to DE in passing situations....and still not skip a beat. With the Cardinals Horton is going to have to hope that he can acquire a couple of good situational rushers, because the current crop looks thin---or he is going to have to teach Darnell Dockett and Calais Campbell to be DEs in a 4 man rush---which would likely take away from the interior rush.

Having to work around the lockout and then adding new players in to camp and his system when they arrive during the free agent signing period are going to make Horton's job even more challenging. But, Horton has the background and the charisma to get the right Arizona back into the Cardinals.

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Blitzing on the first play? I hope he's talking about a PS game, because if we are talking regular season, we might be looking at a screen pass that goes for a TD, assuming the Panthers know a blitz is coming.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Thanks Mitch

Did you read the latest Coordinator read on the main site? I feel sorrow and sadness for Horton. He is not Dick Lebeau, He is a experienced DB coach moving into a defensive coordinator position. He is years behind the top DC's in this business.

The NFL has adapted offenses to the 3-4 defense as the majority of teams have went to 3-4 this last decade. What Horton calls a Bilitz is the base in the 3-4 in my view. someone comes most of the time, but it is guessing who is coming, when and where?

We have the line, we have the 2ndary I agree. We need stars at OLB, We need Hayes at SIL, Dwash needs this to be great at WIL, He has the safety/lb hybrid body, speed and ball skills, but He will not hold up all year defending the run like last year. Paris and Hayes on run downs is a good fit. but the OLB's have to cover!

I have Cardinal preseason hope again, but We have nothing proven at OLB, Ours may be 2nd or 3rd stringers on the Steelers but they wouldn't start? Hopefully Horton has one or 2 up his sleeve as FA's? STARTERS, probably not!

I hate passing on Griffin for Andre last draft. but that will only get me more hate posts. God weve missed on OLB's for many years. With OLB as priority.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great write up Mitch. All the things listed need to be addressed.

This is my biggest beef ...

#1 Tackling - How many times over the years have we seen poor technique from our defensive players? Teaching the players to tackle and how to tackle will improve our D tremendously.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Blitzing on the first play? I hope he's talking about a PS game, because if we are talking regular season, we might be looking at a screen pass that goes for a TD, assuming the Panthers know a blitz is coming.

Garth---Horton is going to blitz on almost every play---he will have mostly zone coverages in behind, with some combo man-zones. He will also have his LBers in the zones key the screens. Not to worry, m'man!

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Great write up Mitch. All the things listed need to be addressed.

This is my biggest beef ...

#1 Tackling - How many times over the years have we seen poor technique from our defensive players? Teaching the players to tackle and how to tackle will improve our D tremendously.

BCF: Horton won't put up with half-arsed efforts. You either tackle or you don't play. He can't put the good Arizona back into Arizona if he condones sloppy and/or missed tackles.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Good read Mitch.

I have high expectations as far as Horton is concerned. I can't wait to see the defense he puts on the field.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good read Mitch.

I have high expectations as far as Horton is concerned. I can't wait to see the defense he puts on the field.
Oh hell yeah, healthy AW, healthy DD, a tackling DRC, a probowler Rhodes (this year), and the best defensive pick up in the draft IMO. Then we bring in a guy like Horton, who won't wait until he is in his own redzone to turn it up...good times. :)

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch Horton did elaborate on what he meant by "getting the Arizona out of him" he stated that it had to do with Mcfadden keeping his back to the ball. Stated something to the effect that you cant make a play for the ball if you can't see it.

It was a simple as that.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Mitch Horton did elaborate on what he meant by "getting the Arizona out of him" he stated that it had to do with Mcfadden keeping his back to the ball. Stated something to the effect that you cant make a play for the ball if you can't see it.

It was a simple as that.

:thumbup:

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

It was a simple as that.

Good recall, Shane---but, imo, that's not all Horton meant by getting the Arizona out of McFadden. McFadden didn't tackle well for us either...and let's just say tackling hasn't been a strong suit over the past decade.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It was a simple as that.
:mulli:

I was just getting a glass of Koolaid to drink when I read this. :D

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I hate passing on Griffin for Andre last draft. but that will only get me more hate posts. God weve missed on OLB's for many years. With OLB as priority.

The Same Griffin who couldn't muster a single sack and got arrested 2 times in three days this past Feb.?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Wasn't it first Buddy Ryan who guaranteed Cardinal fans a Top 5 defense

And he delivered. 1994. The only Cardinal defense to rank in the top 5 in fewest yards and fewest points allowed since 1961 when there were only 14 teams in the NFL. Opponents scored more than 20 points in a game only 3 times and only managed 3.3 ypc rushing. And Ryan did that with Bernard Wilson at DT!

Too bad the offense had Jay Schroeder doing a Dereck Anderson imitation and only scored about a point and a half a game.

As for tackling, one reason the Cards are so bad at it is that they were usually in poor position, for instance overrunning a play or taking a wrong angle, to make a tackle making it easy for ball carriers to get our defenders to miss. I hope Horton sees this on film and works to get the guys in the right spots.

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Good write up Mitch...but as you say we are hurting at OLB!!! Somehow, someway this team needs to add an edge rusher thru FA to go with our young & inexperienced players.

The 3-4 lives & dies with it's edge rushers, so I'm quite sure Horton will call less blitzing if/when they don't produce pressure/sacks!!!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

Don't get me wrong I like his talent & potential, but...to think a rookie with no OTA's, potential shortened TC & probably limited TC reps is gonna set the world on fire in an unfamiliar 3-4 defense is pretty far fetched IMO.

Another thing many of us haven't thought about is how many reps does a rookie get while the HC is trying to get his team ready for September...could be huge!!!! Rookie impacts could be at an all time low.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong I like his talent & potential, but...to think a rookie with no OTA's, potential shortened TC & probably limited TC reps is gonna set the world on fire in an unfamiliar 3-4 defense is pretty far fetched IMO.

Another thing many of us haven't thought about is how many reps does a rookie get while the HC is trying to get his team ready for September...could be huge!!!! Rookie impacts could be at an all time low.

SiMEon Rice had 12.5 sacks as a rookie after holding out until the final week of training camp.

And Texas always beats Rice.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Great read Mitch-----I am really high on Horton coming in as D.C., but then I was also very high on Donnie Henderson as a D.B. coach. I missed badly on that one, and hope that we don't lose out again with Horton.

What I really believe is that Horton, (more than anything else), will change the prevalent attitude of this defensive unit. THAT, more than anything needs to be addressed. If he succeeds in that effort, then we should see real attention being paid to how its done on the field, and not the constant hit and miss efforts normally executed by the Cards defense. I am so very tired of seeing either, (l. People standing around, waiting for the play to come to them.) or (2. People going off all over the field in a blind dead run to hit, and hit only, with many resulting in whiffs, and others resulting in a hit, but a failure to secure the tackle, only to see the ball carrier bounce back on his way to extra yardage.) I hope that we finally see people intelligently placing themselves into position to effect the play, then not only hitting, but wrapping up to stop the play dead in its tracks. This has been totally missing from our defense for years. In my opinion, that is the only way we will finally stop the opponent on third down, instead of selling out, only to miss the opportunity to turn the ball back over to our offense. Anybody else tired of 1st and 10, followed by 2nd and 10, followed by 3rd and 12, with a completion and a run amounting to a 13 yard pickup and a new set of downs for the opponents?

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The one thing I really want to see is containment.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The one thing I really want to see is containment.

And discipline on screen passes. Can we just stop with the over-pursuit already?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Great read Mitch-----I am really high on Horton coming in as D.C., but then I was also very high on Donnie Henderson as a D.B. coach. I missed badly on that one, and hope that we don't lose out again with Horton.

What I really believe is that Horton, (more than anything else), will change the prevalent attitude of this defensive unit. THAT, more than anything needs to be addressed. If he succeeds in that effort, then we should see real attention being paid to how its done on the field, and not the constant hit and miss efforts normally executed by the Cards defense. I am so very tired of seeing either, (l. People standing around, waiting for the play to come to them.) or (2. People going off all over the field in a blind dead run to hit, and hit only, with many resulting in whiffs, and others resulting in a hit, but a failure to secure the tackle, only to see the ball carrier bounce back on his way to extra yardage.) I hope that we finally see people intelligently placing themselves into position to effect the play, then not only hitting, but wrapping up to stop the play dead in its tracks. This has been totally missing from our defense for years. In my opinion, that is the only way we will finally stop the opponent on third down, instead of selling out, only to miss the opportunity to turn the ball back over to our offense. Anybody else tired of 1st and 10, followed by 2nd and 10, followed by 3rd and 12, with a completion and a run amounting to a 13 yard pickup and a new set of downs for the opponents?

This may be a result of watching our team too closely but it seems to me that our guys tend to pull up if someone else appears to be in the process of making a tackle or about to make a tackle, where other teams continue to hit the ball carrier. It almost looks as if the Cards are afraid they might accidentally hurt our guy by adding their hit to the mix.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice comprehensive analysis - mostly speculation all stemming from Horton's single "getting the AZ out of us" comment.

That doesn't mean that saying what he said a year or two ago will translate onto the field this season - not because it didn't accurately reflect Ray's philosophy toward hitting, but because sometimes it takes a little time to overhaul the culture.

Techniques have to be re-taught. Attitudes have to be readjusted. Players may have to be reshuffled. Whether or not you do this overnight depends on (a) where the team's at - i.e. you may not want to blow up an entire secondary if you're only a game away from being a playoff contender or (b) how your FO feels about exercising the nuclear option instead of going the incremental route.

So while Ray may be all about taking names and kicking ass, you may only see partial results the first year he's out there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22