Reds vs. D-backs series thread

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
The 2007 Mets of 2008 are three and a half games out after the road trip from hell. An unfamiliar opponent will make their annual visit and will be more than happy to extend the D-backs' misfortune. A sweep would get Arizona back to .500 . Well, it would :shrug:. Will Adam Dunn get back at his former team? All the lustre of that matchup has been severely muffled with the events of the past several weeks.

Friday - Harang vs. Webb

The veteran right-hander Harang has had his struggles on the mound this season. He spent most of July on the disabled list and pitched very poorly in two starts after returning before holding Colorado scoreless for six innings in a win. He lost his next two games, bringing his loss total to 15. Brandon Webb still hasn't gotten that 20th win and he may have squandered the Cy Young Award with his performance over his last three games. Webb lost all three of those games with an ERA of 12.95 over those games. Webb has allowed six runs or more in his last three starts and walked twelve batters in the slump. It is like the rest of the season that Webb dominated never happened.

Saturday - Volquez vs. Johnson

Volquez is one of the young stars of the game and will pitch against Arizona for the first time in his career. The All-Star and former Ranger has been shaky in his last three starts. He won one of those, but uncharacteristically had ERA of 7 over those games. Volquez struck out 23 batters in his last two outings and could easily reach double-digits in K's as he tries for his 17th win. Another pitcher who has struck out a batter or two, Randy Johnson, turned 45 on Wednesday. He skipped his last turn in the rotation with a sore shoulder. His last game broke a string of ten games where he pitched six or more innings. In his last game, he allowed four home runs in under four innings, he hopes that the extra rest will help him get back in the win column.

Sunday - Cueto vs. Scherzer

Cueto looked unbeatable when he held the D-backs to one hit in his major league debut in April. Since that dazzling debut, he has gone 7-13. He throws a lot of strikeouts and walks few, with the exception of a game in early June, when he walked eight Cardinals over five innings. Scherzer recently replaced Yusmeiro Petit in the rotation. In his start in Los Angeles last week, he struck out 11 Dodgers and allowed three runs in five innings. That doesn't sound bad until ERA is computed and besides, he lost. Now that Scherzer is finished with the Dodgers, he will try his hand at an opponent he has never pitched against.

Only a miracle can save the Diamondbacks' season. If they figure out how to win games again, it may not be enough because the Dodgers have pulled it together at the right time. We'd LIKE to think the D-backs hope that they can pull off something like Colorado did last season, when the Rockies were six games down on September 16, 2007 and won the NL West. After the calamity in California, they might not care.

Last edited:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They need to sweep the Reds to have any shot at the playoffs.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
trying to get excited about this series but it's a little hard with the way we have been playing just basically handing the division over to the dodgers :(, Man really hope the dbacks come out on fire knowing that if they lose this series the season is basically over. Going to be hard to come back from 3.5 down anyways but if we somehow sweep the reds atleast we give ourselves a shot.......

OP
OP
Desert Rat

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
Baker switched the probables around, so I had to do a switcheroo on the previews.

Get the arm angle up, Brandon...

Last edited:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
SOB! Get him out of there! Lyon is not a closer!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never want to see Brandon Lyon pitch for Arizona again.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Diamondbacks win! Brandon Lyon better never pitch as the closer the rest of the year. He is NOT a closer!

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
How did Webb look? I'm still on my Diamondback hiatus until they win a few in a row and actually show signs of life. (OK, I lied. I watched the 9th.)

I know he pitched 8 scoreless, but did he look himself? The Cy Young award is basically gone unless the D-Backs can make a run and win the division. Even then, Lincecum probably deserves it over Webb.

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
Owings comes back and hits a PH double to take the lead in the 10th

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow!!! Now THERE'S a big surprise!!! Pena blew a lead and the game???? Who woulda guessed THAT would happen against one of the worst teams in baseball....

:sarcasm:

OP
OP
Desert Rat

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
It's Jessica Simpson's fault.

I was there in what is the redheads section (tix I purchase back in April) and sat through FOUR HOURS of high-school level baseball. The 'double' by Votto, which would turn into Cincy's first run was a disgraceful effort by Dunn and Young, running over and standing and watching the ball fall in between them. On Friday, Dunn made this leaping gazelle-like grab to get a batter out. Last night, the exact opposite. A pop fly near the first base stands was totally misplayed by Tracy and that would have gotten the D-backs out of the inning. Randy pitched fine, but the offense is pathetic. Volquez is an all-star caliber pitcher whose slow delivery rivals Steve "the human rain delay" Trachsel's, but I don't care who is on the mound, in a pennant chase, you must deliver hits and runs. Johnson walked on four pitches to start the third. Most teams make the opponent pay for that, not the D-backs. Dunn had a chance to have a huge night, batting twice with the bases loaded. He weakly grounded into a 1-2-3 inning-ending double play and got hit with a pitch in the second opportunity with the bases juiced. This drove in the go-ahead run. When Reynolds was tagged out at second base in the fourth on play that looked like he was clearly safe (to 40000 'umpires' in the stands), did Melvin come out and argue? No. He probably wasn't even watching.
Again, that uneasy feeling returned and it was Pena's turn to blow the game. He let runners onto first and third before Corey Patterson skied out to Upton. Upton threw a missile to the plate, which Montero kicked away like a goaltender, allowing the tying run to score. :bang: Dusty Baker rubbed salt in the wound, by sending ex-D-back Micah Owings in to pinch hit in the 10th after the rookie Dickerson walked. Owings got back at his old team, drilling a go-ahead double. Cordero slammed the door in the bottom of the 10th and after four hours, the Dodgers magic number shrunk to 11.
It's things like Owings, the Red, getting the game winner against the D-backs that convinced me that it is not meant to be this season. This team displayed too many times in this game that they have all but cashed it in and no longer deserves the benefit of the doubt. Josh Byrnes... :dcr:

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's Jessica Simpson's fault.

I was there in what is the redheads section (tix I purchase back in April) and sat through FOUR HOURS of high-school level baseball. The 'double' by Votto, which would turn into Cincy's first run was a disgraceful effort by Dunn and Young, running over and standing and watching the ball fall in between them. On Friday, Dunn made this leaping gazelle-like grab to get a batter out. Last night, the exact opposite. A pop fly near the first base stands was totally misplayed by Tracy and that would have gotten the D-backs out of the inning. Randy pitched fine, but the offense is pathetic. Volquez is an all-star caliber pitcher whose slow delivery rivals Steve "the human rain delay" Trachsel's, but I don't care who is on the mound, in a pennant chase, you must deliver hits and runs. Johnson walked on four pitches to start the third. Most teams make the opponent pay for that, not the D-backs. Dunn had a chance to have a huge night, batting twice with the bases loaded. He weakly grounded into a 1-2-3 inning-ending double play and got hit with a pitch in the second opportunity with the bases juiced. This drove in the go-ahead run. When Reynolds was tagged out at second base in the fourth on play that looked like he was clearly safe (to 40000 'umpires' in the stands), did Melvin come out and argue? No. He probably wasn't even watching.
Again, that uneasy feeling returned and it was Pena's turn to blow the game. He let runners onto first and third before Corey Patterson skied out to Upton. Upton threw a missile to the plate, which Montero kicked away like a goaltender, allowing the tying run to score. :bang: Dusty Baker rubbed salt in the wound, by sending ex-D-back Micah Owings in to pinch hit in the 10th after the rookie Dickerson walked. Owings got back at his old team, drilling a go-ahead double. Cordero slammed the door in the bottom of the 10th and after four hours, the Dodgers magic number shrunk to 11.
It's things like Owings, the Red, getting the game winner against the D-backs that convinced me that it is not meant to be this season. This team displayed too many times in this game that they have all but cashed it in and no longer deserves the benefit of the doubt. Josh Byrnes... :dcr:

Not to mention, we just suck.....

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not to mention, we just suck.....

Yeah, I think that has more to do with it. Shame that Scherzer pitched a gem and Melvin, Rauch and our inability to drive in runs did us in, AGAIN.

Melvin/Rauch/Lyon :bang:

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22