Reggie...last of the old school?

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe you guys have talked about this, and I just missed it...but I don't hear anyone else having this thought...

But to me, Reggie is the last of the great old school players, the stars that made the game...like Jordan, Barkley, Bird, Magic, Ewing, Isaiah Thomas, etc.

He's been around for 18 years...amazing...and if you think about it, there is no one else left now from that "era"....in my mind anyways.

To me, Shaq and Duncan appear to be the new "old school" players today...Garnett as well I guess...

But Reggie ends it for me...the last of the true "greats" in my eyes...at this point in time.

Mike

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gosh.. I was 3 when he entered the NBA. I've never really known an NBA season without Reggie knocking down the threes.

When I was in 7th grade, I wore #31 cuz I loved Reggie and his 3 pt shooting. His duels with NY were just classic. Too bad Spike Lee couldnt have been at his farewell game :p

He's definitely the last of the true great players during that era, for sure.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is interesting how good Reggie is for how long he's played. In August he will turn 40. He's managed to stay healthy for most of his career and obviously stays in great shape. He may not be as quick as he once was, but he showed an awful lot of stuff in the Piston series.

I was thinking about how people (like Mark Cuban) think Nash will be over the hill in a few years. But maybe not. Reggie's minutes have gone down over the last few years to under 30, but his value has remained very high. Nash may end up being the same way, not playing as many minutes but being there at crunch time.

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
With Reggie gone, I'm pretty sure there are only 3 players left who were drafted in the 80's. Cliff Robinson & Vlade Divac (89') and Kevin Willis (84').

My how time flies.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
newfan101 said:
With Reggie gone, I'm pretty sure there are only 3 players left who were drafted in the 80's. Cliff Robinson & Vlade Divac (89') and Kevin Willis (84').

My how time flies.

They would be old school I guess, but not in the same "school" as Jordan, Reggie, Ewing, etc.

Cliff never seemed old school to me...Divac does though...

Mike

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
There is still Dikembe, Alonzo and Shaq left from the old school. You can consider Shaq either the first new school or the last old school.

asudevil83

Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
Cliff never seemed old school to me...Divac does though...

Mike

what is the first thing you think of when you think of Uncle Cliffy? WEED?

that's why i dont think of him as being THAT old. how many 40 year old guys are their that go hand and hand with the good old green leaf? just him...

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
There is still Dikembe, Alonzo and Shaq left from the old school. You can consider Shaq either the first new school or the last old school.

Shaq is new old school, like Duncan...

Dikembe seems ageless to me, lol...no school.

Mike

asudevil83

Reaction score
1989:
Rod Strickland (played a few games this year)

1990:
Payton
Kendall Gill
Elden Campbell
Kukoc
Tony Massenburg
Antonio Davis

1991:
Mutumbo
Steve Smith
Dale Davis

1992:
Shaq
Laettner
Zo
Jimmy J
Googs
Weatherspoon
Horry
Christie
Spreewell
PJ Brown

That's about it for "old-school". i would quite put 1992 in old school yet....but it's close.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
To me, "old school" in this context has to mean the 80s, because that's when Bird and Johnson were in their primes and Jordan was coming on the scene. So Miller is pretty much it, unless Karl Malone makes a comeback next season. The others didn't enter the league until 1990 or later. The 1990-91 season, when the Jordan Bulls won their first championship, is the dividing line as far as I am concerned.

asudevil83

Reaction score
elindholm said:
To me, "old school" in this context has to mean the 80s, because that's when Bird and Johnson were in their primes and Jordan was coming on the scene. So Miller is pretty much it, unless Karl Malone makes a comeback next season. The others didn't enter the league until 1990 or later. The 1990-91 season, when the Jordan Bulls won their first championship, is the dividing line as far as I am concerned.

so basically when they all stopped wearing short shorts...

Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
But to me, Reggie is the last of the great old school players, the stars that made the game...like Jordan, Barkley, Bird, Magic, Ewing, Isaiah Thomas, etc.

Old school, new school.... :shrug: relative terms.
I could say the old school was Russell, Chamberlin, West, Big O, etc. It is better to discuss in terms of eras. By the way, Wilt, Russell, Celtic, Lakers, that is the era that made the game!

Jordan, Barkley, Bird, Magic, etc. expanded the NBA's popularity but it was their predecessors that put it on the map. NBA hardly even registered a blip on the radar screen until Wilt came on the scene...

P.S. - I agree Reggie's last game really is final buzzer for that era! There was a lot of emotion in the house when he stepped off the court last night! Gotta say that era had a lot more class than the current era does... :(

Last edited:

jibikao

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
It is interesting how good Reggie is for how long he's played. In August he will turn 40. He's managed to stay healthy for most of his career and obviously stays in great shape. He may not be as quick as he once was, but he showed an awful lot of stuff in the Piston series.

I was thinking about how people (like Mark Cuban) think Nash will be over the hill in a few years. But maybe not. Reggie's minutes have gone down over the last few years to under 30, but his value has remained very high. Nash may end up being the same way, not playing as many minutes but being there at crunch time.

What's amazing is how Reggie has to fight through all those screens. LOL And he looks SOOOO skinny!!! God, he hasn't gained any weight for the past 18 years.

As for Nash, what Cuban wanted is to have Nash on his team to train Devin Harris. Nash will be a great mentor!

se7en

Go SUNS Go
Reaction score
When discussing “High Level Talent” players from a previous generation who are still playing I think you could maybe add Gary Payton and Dikembe Mutombo. Then down the list in the next group based on NBA experience you could add Chris Webber, Robert Horry, Sam Cassell, Alonzo Mourning, Steve Smith, Tony Kukoc and Jim Jackson.

It’s kind of sad to think about players who were around when the Suns last went to the finals. Unfortunately none of the Suns are still playing. It’s a shame that Ced and Dumas aren’t still out there. They’d only be in their what? 12th year?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan