Report: Reggie Bush might sit out 2006 season

Red Hawk

JUST WIN!
Reaction score
No. 2 draft pick, ex-Heisman winner fighting Saints over contract

MSNBC News Services
Updated: 10:23 a.m. MT July 22, 2006
Former Heisman Trophy winnner and No. 2 overall draft pick Reggie Bush is considering sitting out his rookie season and re-entering the 2007 draft because of his contract squabbles with the New Orleans Saints, Yahoo! reported Saturday, citing NFL sources.

"No player has ever had the kind of leverage that Reggie Bush has right now," the source told Yahoo!. "The Saints made it clear what they were willing to do before and now we'll see if they're going to get there."

Bush is scheduled to report to training camp Thursday in Jackson, Miss. Yahoo! said that talks between the parties have been nearly non-existent, according to sources.

Bush's marketing agent Mike Ornstein told the Clarion-Ledger of Jackson, Miss. on Friday that the running back likely would not sign with the Saints before camp.

nurnay

whatever
Reaction score
I debated posting this, but decided against it. Why? Because it's BS. Bush would be uncommonly stupid to hold out for an entire year for the sole purpose to try to make a few more bucks this year. If he held out for an entire season and re-entered the draft, he would certainly get drafted lower than the #2 spot he was selected this year. I won't waste my time arguing all the reasons why this would be a stupid move, as PFT has done an excellent job of doing so, but my belief is, there is no way he will hold out. He may miss a little training camp, but that's all.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I"m sure many of us remember how Wadsworth was supposedly going to pull the same thing. Now, I actually kind of wish he had. Although I thought Wadsworth was about the nicest player I ever met.

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I kinda think Wadsworth knew he had body (knee) problems before going pro, and wanted the Cardinals to pay for his Florida St. years.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Red Hawk said:

MSNBC News Services
Former Heisman Trophy winnner and No. 2 overall draft pick Reggie Bush is considering sitting out his rookie season and re-entering the 2007 draft because of his contract squabbles with the New Orleans Saints, Yahoo! reported Saturday, citing NFL sources.

If this is true, I am really starting to lose respect for RB... I am also beginning to re-think my position about the Texans passing him up.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Red Hawk said:

MSNBC News Services

"No player has ever had the kind of leverage that Reggie Bush has right now," the source told Yahoo!. "The Saints made it clear what they were willing to do before and now we'll see if they're going to get there."

Bush is scheduled to report to training camp Thursday in Jackson, Miss. Yahoo! said that talks between the parties have been nearly non-existent, according to sources.

Bush's marketing agent Mike Ornstein told the Clarion-Ledger of Jackson, Miss. on Friday that the running back likely would not sign with the Saints before camp.

I wonder if there is a snag with the housing his family will recieve?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
LoyaltyisaCurse said:
If this is true, I am really starting to lose respect for RB... I am also beginning to re-think my position about the Texans passing him up.

Good.

That was a great move by the Texans. Mario Williams will have much more success than Reggie Bush (aka: the second comming of Peter Warrick, who was the second comming of Warrick Dunn)

The Texans made a lot of really good moves, start with picking up Gary Kubiak as thier head coach and following it up with making Mike Sherman thier offensive line coach. They have a great RB in Dominic Davis, who can get the tough yards, and break a long run (not to the house,tho). Plus the Texans' defensive line will rival the Jaguars for the best in the NFL. Anthony Weaver, Robaire Smith , Seth Payne, and Mario Williams.....the smallest guy on that line is 280 lbs !

Reggie Bush was the hype pick. He was the "name", followed up with flashy clips of him making college defensives look silly. But he was hard nosed in negotiations with the Texans, and the Texans realized they don't need Reggie Bush. They needed a impact pass rushing DE, and Mario Williams was much easier to get a deal with, and way less arrogant.

Reggie Bush is pure hype and potential till he can play a full 16 games. Which I would be surprised if he can.

Duetto

Rookie
Reaction score
Reggie Bush was the hype pick. He was the "name", followed up with flashy clips of him making college defensives look silly.

WOW, that comment will make you look very silly one day.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wonder if this is all a guise because he doesn't want to play for the Saints maybe? He can claim they won't pay him what he is worth and he will sit out and re-enter next year hoping a better organization will pick him?

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigRedArk said:
I wonder if this is all a guise because he doesn't want to play for the Saints maybe? He can claim they won't pay him what he is worth and he will sit out and re-enter next year hoping a better organization will pick him?

The Cards next year at 32.....Chug the koolaid...:D

seesred

Reaction score
I'd bet my house that Bush (why the problems with people named Bush?) will be in his football gear by wek one or two.

GBR

seesred

Reaction score
I never would have takin Reggie because of the name, bad things tend to happen. BY the way It's no disguise

GBR

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
RugbyMuffin said:
Good.

That was a great move by the Texans. Mario Williams will have much more success than Reggie Bush (aka: the second comming of Peter Warrick, who was the second comming of Warrick Dunn)

The Texans made a lot of really good moves, start with picking up Gary Kubiak as thier head coach and following it up with making Mike Sherman thier offensive line coach. They have a great RB in Dominic Davis, who can get the tough yards, and break a long run (not to the house,tho). Plus the Texans' defensive line will rival the Jaguars for the best in the NFL. Anthony Weaver, Robaire Smith , Seth Payne, and Mario Williams.....the smallest guy on that line is 280 lbs !

Reggie Bush was the hype pick. He was the "name", followed up with flashy clips of him making college defensives look silly. But he was hard nosed in negotiations with the Texans, and the Texans realized they don't need Reggie Bush. They needed a impact pass rushing DE, and Mario Williams was much easier to get a deal with, and way less arrogant.

Reggie Bush is pure hype and potential till he can play a full 16 games. Which I would be surprised if he can.

1) While Warrick Dunn is a runningback, Peter Warrick is a wideout. It's hard to see how the latter could be the "second coming" of the former. Meanwhile, Warrick Dunn has had a very productive NFL career, averaging 4.2 YPC in 10 years in the NFL and had his best season just last year. Not to mention him being one of the best people in the NFL.

2) Maybe Eli Manning was the "name" but Reggie Bush was without question the best player in the college ranks last season for all but one game. If anything, the "name" in this draft was Jay Cutler, a guy who didn't do anything in the college ranks but still managed to get a spot in the Top 10.

3) Every rookie is "pure hype and potential" right now. All any of them have ever done is play against college defenses. That being said, Reggie Bush destroyed every team that he went up against when he was in college, but your boy Mario Williams disappeared for whole games at a time during his college career.

4) I like the moves the Texans made this season, as well. They're one of the most intriguing storylines in the NFL this year. I think that they could challenge the Jaguars for second place in the AFC South.

5) Reggie Bush will sign this season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Red Line

Veteran
Reaction score
Well, since you were (perhaps unintentionally) sanctimonious to a fellow poster and Cardinal fan, I have to point out that, strictly speaking, Cutler was not in the Top Ten.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
nurnay said:
I debated posting this, but decided against it. Why? Because it's BS. Bush would be uncommonly stupid to hold out for an entire year for the sole purpose to try to make a few more bucks this year. If he held out for an entire season and re-entered the draft, he would certainly get drafted lower than the #2 spot he was selected this year. I won't waste my time arguing all the reasons why this would be a stupid move, as PFT has done an excellent job of doing so, but my belief is, there is no way he will hold out. He may miss a little training camp, but that's all.

Yeah, he wants #1 money, but he is willing to sit out, probably slip slightly in the draft (a spot or two) and get even less next year.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Hindsight is always 20-20 and I hate to say I told you so but...

In all honesty, I called on the ridiculousness of the media remarking that the Texans "passed on the next Michael Jordan for the next Sam Bowie" and calling this the "worst draft blunder in sports history" then and I'm only going to point to the success rate of Williams vs. the lack therefore of with Bush and Williams as the barameter of proof.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05