RIP Devil Rays? Tampa Bay to change name and logo?

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Rumor floating around the grapevine is this gem..

You must be registered for see images

is going to be the new identity of our expansion brothers, the soon to be Tampa Bay De.... errr. Rays..

According to all reports, Tampa Bay will be dropping DEVIL from their nickname and will eliminate the stingray logo that's been associated with their franchise since birth, and will instead simply be known as the Tampa Bay Rays, leaning towards the sun ray angle.

Above, the color scheme and logo..

My thoughts?? Bland? Crap?? Any other good adjectives?

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boring, stupid and pointless; much like having a team in St Petersburg.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tampa Bay should lose the team all together.

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Its pretty shameful what a joke the Devil Ray franchise is, because they've got a HELL of a young, talented roster.

I was watching an AZ Fall League game the other day, and saw Evan Longoria absolutely knock the **** out of the baseball. While I realize the ratio of AZFL stars who turn out to be worth a damn in the majors is 1 out of 20, this kid looks to be every bit as good as the Devil Rays.........errr.. pardon me.. The Rays hope he's going to be.

Throw in Carl Crawford, who's arguably baseball's most underrated players and has yet to come close to his prime, Scott Kazmir, Delmon Young and the other talent this team has and you got a potential gem.

Back in the contraction era, I stated that I felt the league should just merge the Marlins and Rays in to one Florida team. Yet, surprisingly, the Marlins have a rather interesting 15 year history.. 2 trips to the playoffs... 2 World Series rings. Never lost a playoff series. Go figure. The Marlins have won more World Series rings in 15 years of existance than the Cubs, Red Sox and Indians have in the last 50. Never thunk it.

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
I don't hate the Rays, I hate the way they've been marketed from the get go and the way the Tampa- St. Pete market which got jerked off and screwed with many times prior to getting the team, has been sharted on.

Both Tampa- St. Pete and Miami- South Florida regions have the capability of being MUCH better markets than they are. I know Tampa residents waited a long time and patiently for a baseball team, yet they have had nothing but one giganormous rim job after another given to them since the Rays took the field.

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
They spend $30M/year and have never won more than 70 games.

That to.. Also, how many "rebrandings" have the Devil Rays had since taking the field for the first time? Are they a young team, an old team? One in between?

I know many here bitch about the Diamondback way of the first 10 years of existence, yet by and large we've all been spoiled. Tampa Bay fan has the most right to piss and moan. Them and Marlin fan, even though Miami has two World Series rings to show for it.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Didn't we have a thread about the Bay Rays changing their logo a few years ago?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boo!

Being Cardinals fans you should know better than to call for a sports organization to close its doors. We've had to suffer through morons saying that for years.

Don't be that guy.

:slap:

That is very wise, Pariah. Well done.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boo!

Being Cardinals fans you should know better than to call for a sports organization to close its doors. We've had to suffer through morons saying that for years.

Don't be that guy.

:slap:

It just doesn't seem like a baseball town. Maybe it is, and maybe if they start winning, it will appear different. It's not like they don't have another team in the state that they can rally for/against.

Different situation that the Cards.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It just doesn't seem like a baseball town. Maybe it is, and maybe if they start winning, it will appear different. It's not like they don't have another team in the state that they can rally for/against.
Tampa is a pretty good baseball town.

They love the Yankees.

Delmon Young

Rookie
Reaction score
Tampa has a rich baseball tradition, from all the Spring Training that goes on down there to all the talented players it has produced. If the Rays win, fans will come.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
To me it sounds like what a WMLB team's name and logo would be.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Different situation that the Cards.
I'm sure that will make you initial comments easier for Tampa fans to swallow.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I have never had a more miserable baseball experience than watching a Devil Rays game at home. Their domed facility is small, ugly, poorly thought out, and just plain humid inside. It is a joke of a facility.

Got nothing against the team, just Tropicana.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I just want the D-Rays to change divisions. That way, the Yankees and Red Sox won't have such easy wins to pad their records.