RM: Mock Draft Extravaganza: Part 1 of 2

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Hello NFL-o-sphere,

Got the day off today, because to be honest, I needed a day away before I went b.s. crazy. People need to take more pride in their job, and own their responsibilities, but enough with reality, and on to mindless fantasy NFL brain candy talk!

I was blessed and fortunate to go to the mountains over the weekend, but cut it short because there is a lot of snow up there, fun, but me and the boys decided we can enjoy being stuck in the house, at our houses. Plus we are not 21 anymore, so two days of "drinkin'" is enough, the dogs have stopped barking for now. LOL.

In the off times during the weekend, I mock drafted my butt off, perfect time for killing time.

Some observations I made while simulating the upcoming 2017 NFL draft over, and over:

1. If we need a quarterback then we need to get him in the first round. I officially have made myself a new drafting rule. Where ever a QB is graded out by scouts, and the NFL-o-sphere (this is a term for the sphere of influence the NFL has as a whole [media, fans, coaches, players, etc.]), then that grade should be +1 round. For example, Pat Mahomes is graded out to the second round ? OK. He is first round pick then, just because he is a QB and the supply and demand. There are a few times below I got the opportunity to draft Davis Webb in the 3rd, that would be steal, in my mind. I did about 40 mocks and only list a few below for now, and yes, I have one mock with a questionable database that I got Mahomes in the second, that was the only time it happened.

2. WOW! Cornerbacks, cornerbacks, cornerbacks. You can get a great cornerback prospect in the second round, and dare I say, just as good as if you pick one in the first. And, so many you can be picky about it, and really make sure we can get a big corner that can play press coverage:

- Marlon Humphrey, Alabama
- Kevin King, Washington
- Jalen "****" Tabor, Florida
- Quincy Wilson, Florida
- Cordrea Tankersly, Clemson
- Fabian Moreau, UCLA
- not to mention I am not going to be upset with: Marcus Lattimore, Ohio State, Adoree Jackson, USC, Gareon Conley, Ohio State, or Ahkello Witherspoon, Colorado

Tons of prospects, like I said. Enough that waiting till the second round is almost a given.

3. Safeties! The talent is not at the level of the cornerbacks, not really close even, and to drive the point home, I do not think I have ever seen a crop of prospects at one position like there is for cornerbacks this draft.

Yet, at a time the Cardinals need a safety, this is a good draft for both in the box, and free safety types. Thus the group is very, very deep, it is weird to say this draft could set up getting a player as an undrafted free agent and them turning into a Tony Jefferson type, who may be a little slow, but his instincts are there. A players like Jordan Sterns, Oklahoma State, or Lorenzo Jerome, St. Francis, may not be drafted, but I like their game.

If you ask me today, I think the Cardinals really have two options in drafting:

1. Take the QB you like in the first round, regardless.

2. If the QB you like isn't there, they say Palmer is good for another year, or you want to take a risk that will not work out, IMHO. Then pick the BPA at #1, and I would say there is a 10% chance that Malik Hooker or Rueben Foster fall to us, and maybe a 25% chance Mike Williams or Corey Davis fall to us.

Here are all my mock drafts, if there was a QB selected in the first, I just put "QB" since it would be between Mitch Trubisky, DeShaun Watson, Pat Mahomes, and DeShone Kizer, while I prefer Mahomes out of all of them, it really doesn't matter. There is going to be some guys gone at 13 and the best out of the four that are available are your best bet at finding a QoF.

**Please realize I drafted the players that were available per the simulation for that draft, and I did most of these off the top of my head, thus if a player is "too low" or "to high" then by all means discuss it but do not blame me, I was just picking what was available to me per said simulation:

Draft #1: RM's draft
1 - Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech
2 - Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida
3 - JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, USC
4 - Anthony Walker, ILB, Northwestern
5 - Montae Nicholson, SS, Michigan State
5 - Brian Hill, HB, Wyoming
6 - J.J. Dielman, T/C, Utah
7 - Lorenzo Jerome, FS, St. Francis
**Give me this draft, all day, any day.

Draft #2: Fanspeak

1 - QB
2 - Kevin King, CB, Washington/Cordrea Tankersly, CB, Clemson/Jalen "****" Tabor, CB, Florida
3 - Adam Shaheen, TE, Ashland
4 - Malachi Dupre, WR, LSU
5 - Elijah McGuire, HB, La.-Lafayette
5 - Lorenzo Jerome, FS, St. Francis
7 - Jordan Sterns, S, Oklahoma St.

Draft #3: Composite Board
1 - Malik Hooker, FS, Ohio State
2 - Forrest Lamp, G, Western Kentucky
3 - Fabian Moreau, CB, UCLA
5 - Montae Nicholson, SS, Michigan State
6 - Connor Harris, ILB, Lindenwood
7 - Blake Jarwin, TE, Oklahoma State

Draft #4: Fanspeak
1 - QB
2 - Kevin King, CB, Washington/Cordrea Tankersly, CB, Clemson/Jalen "****" Tabor, CB, Florida
3 - Anthony Walker, ILB, Northwestern
5 - Montae Nicholson, S, Michigan State
5 - De'Veon Smith, HB, Michigan
6 - Greg Pyke, OG, Georgia

Draft #5: Fanspeak
1 - Mike Williams, WR, Clemson
2 - Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida/Kevin King, CB, Washington/Cordrea Tankersly, CB, Clemson/Jalen "****" Tabor, CB, Florida
3 - Anthony Walker, ILB, Northwestern
4 - Ethan Pocic, G/C, LSU
5 - Keionata Davis, OLB/DE, Chattanooga
6 - Jordan Sterns, S, Oklahoma St.
7 - De'Veon Smith, HB, Michigan

Draft #6: CBS
1 - Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama
2 - Forrest Lamp, OG, Western Kentucky
3 - JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, USC
4 - Anthony Walker, ILB, Northwestern
7 - Richie Brown, ILB, Mississippi State

Draft #7: Draftek
1 - Malik Hooker, FS, Ohio State
3 - Davis Webb, QB, California
4 - Zay Jones, WR, East Carolina
5 - Connor Harris, ILB, Lindenwood
6 - Nate Jerry, SS, Nebraska

Draft #8: NFL Mock
2 - Pat Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech <-- Not gonna happen, btw
3 - Malachi Dupre, WR, LSU
4 - Montae Nicholson, S, Michigan State
5 - Hardy Nickerson, OLB/ILB, Illinois
6 - Jadar Johnson, FS, Clemson

Draft #9: Fanspeak
2 - Forrest Lamp, OG, Western Kentucky
6 - De'Veon Smith, HB, Michigan

Draft #10: Fanspeak
2 - JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, USC
4 - Ethan Pocic, G/C, LSU
6 - De'Veon Smith, HB, Michigan

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow!

A lot of time/effort. Modified agreement with your thinking.

- I like Watson. Not yet sold on Mahomes but would trust BA if he went there.

- I'm intrigued by Jerome

- You seem hung on Dielman late to fill a hole at OG. I'm hung on a similar approach that would target Siragusa and a couple of other lunch pail OG's earlier

- If we don't draft Watson or (gulp!) Mahomes at #13, I'd keep an eye on Webb, Peterman or Dobbs where SK&BA feel they = fair value.

- I'm also intrigued by K'assagnon at #77 because he has Calais Campbell height and size and could be a perfect repacement

Regarding CB and S, I feel like we're locked blindfolded throwing darts in a room full of DB's - all different shapes and colors to choose from.

Again - great job (Far different from the old days of underlining comments in Street & Smith.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Love your approach, I would be happy with any of those, ecstatic with the first result.