Robert Griffith

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
How much does this guy have left in the tank? I may be wrong on him but isnt he more of a physical run stopper than a free safety?

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Yeah his numbers are excellent as a SS. He's converting to FS but that should really improve our run stopping game. Nobody is quit sure how good he will be in coverage. I heard we are going to play a lot of cover 2 again this year to protect the corners anyways.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
II haven't noticed a huge difference b/w the safeties jobs in Pendy's schemes so I don't think it will make a huge difference.

Toro

Registered
Reaction score
I think he was the Browns MVP last year. Regardless of how bad the Browns were, he was the team MVP. He must have something left.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
One of Griffith's jobs is to get Shazor ready to replace him in 2 years.

He may chose to do it.... but it's not his job...

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Griffith is a stop gap (an effective one, I hope) at best until hopefully a guy like Shazor can step in.

He is good against the run and a sure tackler. Which should hopefully make us more effective against the ground game.

Adrian Wilson has spoken very positively about the leadership and experince he has brought to a young secondary. Hopefully it pays off.

OP
OP
D

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully he is a stop gap for LSU safety Leron Landry or Virginia Techs Jimmy Williams.(big 4.4 speed) You may be right on Shazor however.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Shazor needs to get on the field though. I have no idea if he is healed up as he missed the majority of OTA's.

However, the guy is a FREAK. 6-4, 231 and runs a 4.44 (I think).

If Shazor and Wilson both get on the field, that would have to be one of the most physically imposing saftey tandems in the NFL.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Did everyone forget McGinnis is no longer coaching the team? No way Denny is planning on an UDFA taking over the reigns of starting safety in a couple years. Shazor's not even guaranteed a spot on the team this August IMO.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Shazor was tipped to go in the 2nd round. Just because he dropped doesn't mean he can't play.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Redsz said:
Shazor needs to get on the field though. I have no idea if he is healed up as he missed the majority of OTA's.

However, the guy is a FREAK. 6-4, 231 and runs a 4.44 (I think).

If Shazor and Wilson both get on the field, that would have to be one of the most physically imposing saftey tandems in the NFL.

I didn't know he could run a 4.4, to my best recollection he was highly touted before workouts and then bombed them (including his 40). I hope I'm wrong though, but no guy who is 6'4" and runs a 4.4 goes undrafted.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Redsz said:
I thought he dropped because of his injury (like Elton Brown)? Maybe someone who is in the know can drop some knowledge.

Elton Brown dropped because he left the Combine halfway though and everyone doubted his committment/attitude/desire to play in the NFL. He was the top-rated G in the draft and suddenly fell to the second day, and not because of an injury.

ESPN.com's rating of Shazor lists him as running a 4.7 40, which is why he went from a second-round selection to undrafted.

Scouts said:
Is athletic for his size but has marginal speed and is limited in coverage. The more ground he is responsible for the less reliable he becomes. His hips are a bit stiff and he is long-legged. He struggles to match up man-to-man versus quicker RB's and slot WR's. Gets turned around too easily and loses too much in transition when trying to recover. Takes too long to build top-end speed. Has improved with more experience but still below average in terms of his overall recognition skills. He reads the run quickly and does a very good job of finding the football and getting too it. The problem, however, is that he can be over-aggressive and will get caught out of position. He bites too often on the play-fake and still takes too many false steps. His pursuit angles are inconsistent and he still will miss too many open field tackles. If he's forced to change directions or stop-and-start, he takes too much time in transition to catch-up after making a mistake. Does have a tendency to seek out the big hit rather than playing the ball at times, but not as frequently as many other of his kind in this class.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
To follow this up, aparently Shazor dropped because he was viewed as a tweener. Too big for a SS, but too small for a LB (even though he has the frame to add weight?).

He also didn't run well. Which is confusing because NFL.com lists him running a 4.44 (which was the time expected) but other sites suggest he ran as slow as a 4.70?

He also dropped because of concerns about his ability in coverage. Which again is confusing when your read reports that state that he improved in that area last year.

Everything I have read just contradicts itself. So I don't know what to think.

OP
OP
D

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Shazor ran a 4.6 and lacks coverage skills. I saw the report in Sports Weekly a few months ago.