Roger Federer returns after 14-month absence with one thing in mind: Wimbledon

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

As Roger Federer returns to the court this week in Doha, he said today that the next three months represent an extended build-up to the moment when his season starts in earnest: the gentlemen’s singles at Wimbledon. Federer has not played on the tour since his defeat to Novak Djokovic in the semi-final of the 2020 Australian Open, almost 14 months ago, because of two keyhole operations on his knee. His first match back will be played on Tuesday or Wednesday, and there is a good chance that it will come against British No1 Dan Evans. (Federer’s status as the second seed means that he receives a bye straight into the second round.) But Federer said that his first few weeks on the tour are likely to be no more than a preparation for the central part of his year: the grass-court season. “It’s still about building up, being stronger fitter and better,” said Federer today. “I hope that by Wimbledon I am gonna be 100 per cent. Everything until then, see how it goes, I might surprise myself. But right now I take it day by day. Everything starts hopefully with the grass.”

Continue reading...