San Diego Padres @ Arizona Diamondbacks series thread. 09/27/24-09/29/24

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
They had an identity early and that led to an epic run. Then we just got away from it.

This team got worse the healthier it got.
They lost a ton of games due to injury. Just because dudes eventually made it off the IR, doesn’t mean they’re “back” and certainly doesn’t mean they can easily slip back into the team chemistry…

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They lost a ton of games due to injury. Just because dudes eventually made it off the IR, doesn’t mean they’re “back” and certainly doesn’t mean they can easily slip back into the team chemistry…

They were better injured.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I said after the 2021Cardinals season, we have gone as far as we can with with this roster and this manager.

One group has to change. Running this same group back leads to the same outcome as the 2022 Cardinals

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
They were better injured.
The stats support that statement.
My guess is guys like E-Rod, Kelly, Gallen, Walker, Marte, Gurriel, Moreno and Monty all felt the need to press once they were back.
While they were out, their backups simply approached the game as backups. They were likely more loose and played with fun.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
As I said after the 2021Cardinals season, we have gone as far as we can with with this roster and this manager.

One group has to change. Running this same group back leads to the same outcome as the 2022 Cardinals
I doubt Torey will be gone… and he shouldn’t be.
But the pen will see a good deal of change.
I don’t think Walker will be back.
I doubt Perdomo will be the starting SS.
And I believe CF will be dealt with as well, as McCarthy and Thomas are just not good enough.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I question why Torrey didn’t have Carrol bunt with man on first no outs in the 7th or 8th. At this point we need one run to possibly win this. Then Marte is up. They may have walked him but that leaves RH batter to a LH pitcher.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
If we win tomorrow that puts us at 89 wins for the season.
We would essentially need both the Braves (88 wins) and Mets (87 wins) to lose tomorrow and then the Braves and Mets can split their Monday doubleheader and we’re in.
If we tie with the Mets we lose that tie-breaker.
If we tie with the Braves, believe we win that tie breaker…

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we win tomorrow that puts us at 89 wins for the season.
We would essentially need both the Braves (88 wins) and Mets (87 wins) to lose tomorrow and then the Braves and Mets can split their Monday doubleheader and we’re in.
If we tie with the Mets we lose that tie-breaker.
If we tie with the Braves, believe we win that tie breaker…
We went 2-5 vs Braves. We own no tie breakers

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I question why Torrey didn’t have Carrol bunt with man on first no outs in the 7th or 8th. At this point we need one run to possibly win this. Then Marte is up. They may have walked him but that leaves RH batter to a LH pitcher.
We didn’t have anyone on base in the 7th.
In the 6th, Carroll led off with a double. He was folllowed by Marte, Joc annd Walker and you never have those guys bunt.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt Torey will be gone… and he shouldn’t be.
But the pen will see a good deal of change.
I don’t think Walker will be back.
I doubt Perdomo will be the starting SS.
And I believe CF will be dealt with as well, as McCarthy and Thomas are just not good enough.

There is no way Torey is gone. 0% chance no matter what I think, even though there is a ton of noise about firing him from fans online. Hazen and Torey are Keim and Kingsbury. It's going to need a 2022 season to get them both out.

Bell getting zero ABs against two righties so Walker can flail at the plate in a bad matchup...I am certain he is gone as long as Torey is here. Bell was absolutely huge for us when we were hurt. Meanwhile we aren't playing Walker. Your 2025 1B is likely Pavin Smith.

Lawlar has to be given every chance to fail at SS. I would trade Perdomo for a competent closer and not blink but in reality, he is the perfect lefty platoon player.

The weakness in the OF isn't McCarthy, it is Gurriel. Alek Thomas will go somewhere else and be a star. The amount we discount a gold glove CF with pop is incredible.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We didn’t have anyone on base in the 7th.
In the 6th, Carroll led off with a double. He was folllowed by Marte, Joc annd Walker and you never have those guys bunt.
One inning late Perdomo walked, no outs. Carroll doesn’t bunt and proceeds to pop it up. What did Marte Joc and Walker do tonight. Jack Squat!! At that point in the game with our utter lack of hitting we needed to scratch out one run. I would have sacrificed runner to second, which elevates pressure on pitcher. Then as you say those three guys would have a chance to hit perdomo in.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
There is no way Torey is gone. 0% chance no matter what I think, even though there is a ton of noise about firing him from fans online. Hazen and Torey are Keim and Kingsbury. It's going to need a 2022 season to get them both out.
[/QUOTE]

Hazen is Keim? LOL… Hazen is highly respected throughout the game as a Top 2 / Top 3 GM in MLB.
Bell getting zero ABs against two righties so Walker can flail at the plate in a bad matchup...I am certain he is gone as long as Torey is here. Bell was absolutely huge for us when we were hurt. Meanwhile we aren't playing Walker. Your 2025 1B is likely Pavin Smith.
Not sure what you’re getting at here. But under no circumstances was Bell going to get at-bats over Walker… none.
Lawlar has to be given every chance to fail at SS. I would trade Perdomo for a competent closer and not blink but in reality, he is the perfect lefty platoon player.
[/QUOTE]

The weakness in the OF isn't McCarthy, it is Gurriel. Alek Thomas will go somewhere else and be a star. The amount we discount a gold glove CF with pop is incredible.
Thomas is fun to root for. But he struggles to hit .250 and, while a great defender he has a little league arm.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

The team needs heart and balls...and a championship level manager.

One thing I found interesting a couple nights ago, was when Randy Johnson was in the booth with Berthume and Brenly, everytime they were on camera and the Dbacks have up a hit or missed a play in the field, you could see how visible upset Brenly was getting. One time he even tossed his glasses off. IMO that's the kind of passion the leadership of the team needs. Not saying bring back Brenly again...he's past his time...but someone like that who will light a fire under the players asses and not feel bad doing it.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will fix all your quotes

Hazen is Keim? LOL… Hazen is highly respected throughout the game as a Top 2 / Top 3 GM in MLB.

Hazen is Keim in respect to his manager. Loyal to a fault. There is no way Hazen fires Torey. None.

Not sure what you’re getting at here. But under no circumstances was Bell going to get at-bats over Walker… none.

Lefty / Righty matchup but this is precisely my point. Why is Josh Bell going to re-sign here after the manager wouldn't play him in favorable game scripts? He's gone if Luvelo is here and Luvelo will be here.

Thomas is fun to root for. But he struggles to hit .250 and, while a great defender he has a little league arm.

I value great defense at CF way over .250 BA. BA is the modern day Pitcher Wins stat.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
I will fix all your quotes

Hazen is Keim in respect to his manager. Loyal to a fault. There is no way Hazen fires Torey. None.

Lefty / Righty matchup but this is precisely my point. Why is Josh Bell going to re-sign here after the manager wouldn't play him in favorable game scripts? He's gone if Luvelo is here and Luvelo will be here.

I value great defense at CF way over .250 BA. BA is the modern day Pitcher Wins stat.

Thomas is a AAAA player.

Great glove, but pathetic offenisively (a 73 OPS+ with over 900 PA).