Sarver story in AZ Star

Dylan

Registered
Reaction score
Owning an NBA team inevitably means you own the contract of a selfish, pouty, give-me-the-ball, I'm-calling-you-from-jail prima donna who doesn't know your name or care that you cleared $749 million selling high-rise condos in downtown California.

Robert Sarver bought the Suns anyway.

The native Tucsonan returned home Monday night to talk business with the Jewish Federation of Southern Arizona, and before anyone could ask him what he was possibly thinking - spending $401 million to buy an NBA headache? - Sarver gave it to them in dollars and sense.

Here is Sarver's parable of NBA ownership: A few years ago he was in the market to buy a house in the exclusive Del Mar area north of San Diego. One of his two final choices was a 2,400-square-foot beauty on the beach. Price: $2 million. He passed.

The other was a fabulous, 5,500-square foot property at Del Mar Country Club. Price: $ 1 million. He bought it. A few years later he sold it for $2 million.

Two years later, the beach house he rejected sold for $12.7 million.

"What it taught me," the 42-year-old UA grad said, "is that uniqueness sells. The Del Mar beach house was one of just 34 properties on the sand. There's no room for any more. The scarcity of the product attracted a great many wealthy people. The demand is off the charts. The NBA is the same. There are 30 teams. A lot of very wealthy people want them."

To the outsider, Sarver's April purchase of the Suns seemed odd, especially at inflated prices that made it the most expensive transaction in NBA history. (The proud Boston Celtics sold for a relative bargain $360 million two years earlier.) The Suns are neither a contender nor a hot ticket, and the NBA, burned by petulant personalities and international flameouts, has perhaps never been more unpopular.

Why pour good money into bad basketball?

Sarver's sports business objective is not any different than his real estate and banking holdings that made him ridiculously wealthy by the time he was 25. This is a man who has bought 20 banks. Yes, 20! He's a businessman who has worked 58 real estate transactions in excess of $2 million.

This is not Bill Bidwill trying to protect the family inheritance by hiring entry-level accountants.

"There are enormous tax benefits," Sarver said. "By amortizing two-thirds of the amount we paid for the Suns, we'll recoup half of the $400 million purchase price in tax savings in the next three years."

Why, he could buy Kobe Bryant's contract and bank another $80 million.

Sarver said he bowed out of this summer's Bryant free agency sweepstakes essentially because he did not want to play Bryant's cat-and-mouse game. Suns ownership was to be given a 60-minute window to make a presentation in his living room - one of four teams invited to do so - but ultimately Sarver "didn't like Kobe's approach."

"I thought he'd crush our young talent," Sarver said, which is a nice way of saying the Suns would like to try to develop young guns Amare Stoudemire, Joe Johnson and Quentin Richardson around $65 million free agent point guard Steve Nash.

A team approach rather than Kobe-shoots-it approach.

Given Sarver's partnership with Steve Kerr, his basketball insider, the Suns new management plans to be more careful before taking on baggage. No more Stephon Marburys.

"I'm not going to get into the rehab business," Sarver said. "I can't change their habits. I'm not going to pretend that, if a guy insists on smoking weed, that I can stop him from smoking weed. I'm not going to pay a guy $12 million a year if he isn't friendly to our sponsors on the team plane.

"We did a lot of homework on Steve Nash. He's as smart as can be. He's an extraordinary worker. He's a leader, the kind of guy I'm going to invest in."

Invest, you say? Sarver has pumped $70 million into America West Arena, with a new sound system, new scoreboard, new everything. His banking and real estate history suggests he will be demanding and, perhaps, impatient.

Don't expect the Suns to bounce around like the Clippers much longer.

Sarver is about a month shy of the Suns opener. Before then, he'll be invited for the first time to the board room with his new NBA partners and commissioner David Stern. "In three weeks," he said, "I'll sit at the table with 29 owners, 29 of the wealthiest and most successful men in the United States. I'll be the youngest - and the poorest."

For Robert Sarver, rookie owner, the only way to go is up.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Dylan said:
Sarver said he bowed out of this summer's Bryant free agency sweepstakes essentially because he did not want to play Bryant's cat-and-mouse game. Suns ownership was to be given a 60-minute window to make a presentation in his living room - one of four teams invited to do so - but ultimately Sarver "didn't like Kobe's approach."

You know, as much as I wanted Kobe Bryant, Sarver made the right call I think. The fact that he instantly saw it was going to be a headache, where Kobe would call all the shots was good forsight. He also must have realized that he would have to wait for weeks to get an answer, crushing all other FA options.

That must have been a funny convo:

Suns: "We want you to join our team. We feel we can win a ring with you here, you will get a max deal."

Kobe: "Sounds good, why don't you come to my house in Newport Beach, and talk to me for 60 minutes. Just so you know, I get an extra incentive clause for ever minute you go over"

Suns: "You know what, nevermind"

Suns: "Hey Steve! Just wanted to let you know you were our first choice"

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
"I thought he'd crush our young talent," Sarver said, which is a nice way of saying the Suns would like to try to develop young guns Amare Stoudemire, Joe Johnson and Quentin Richardson around $65 million free agent point guard Steve Nash.

Anybody else notice somebody missing here? Of course it could just be an oversight by the writer that Shawn Marion wasn't mentioned.

Joe Mama

OP
OP
D

Dylan

Registered
Reaction score
I like the fact we didn't play Kobe's game. The Suns never have been one to let a player run the show. Even with Barkley, when he started to make trouble, he was gone.

Can't let the inmates run the asylum.

OP
OP
D

Dylan

Registered
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Anybody else notice somebody missing here? Of course it could just be an oversight by the writer that Shawn Marion wasn't mentioned.

Joe Mama
I don't know if it means anything.. hard to rattle the names off all the time. Sometimes JJ is missing, sometimes Marion... I think it doesn't mean too much.

But they always say Amare!!!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Boy, it seems like everyone has a different spin on why the Suns were out of the Bryant sweepstakes so quickly. First the Suns tried to insist that Nash was the first prioirity all along. Now they're saying that, well sure, they did want Bryant originally, but then they decided to go in a different direction before he could turn them down.

I know the Suns are going to cover their asses on the Bryant issue, but could they at least get their story straight?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:

Joe Mama

Shawn Marion isn't exactly a young guy that needs to be develloped though. Especially on this team he is the 2nd or 3rd oldest player (Eisley not counting).

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
Sarver seems to be a very very smart businessman. I think that the fact that he is willing to admit he doesn't know everything about basketball and surround himself with people like Stever Kerr is impressive to say the least. It is nice to know the man has money and is willing to spend it but will spend it wisely unlike Mark Cuban in Dallas. Plus I'm pumped to see the new scoreboard in AWA.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Dylan said:
"I'm not going to get into the rehab business," Sarver said. " ... I'm not going to pay a guy $12 million a year if he isn't friendly to our sponsors on the team plane.

Was he referring to any particular incident?

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Interesting stuff from this article.

--The Suns didn't go after Kobe because they thought he wasn't seriously interested in them, not because they preferred Nash and Q. That's pretty much how I saw it, but here's the first confirmation I've seen.

--Sarver is worth $750m, not $2b as previously reported, and he got into the business to make money (most likely through increases in the team's value). Money will be a concern for the Suns on some level.

In three weeks," he said, "I'll sit at the table with 29 owners, 29 of the wealthiest and most successful men in the United States. I'll be the youngest - and the poorest."

--Sarver dumped on both Kobe and Stephon--I'm not sure I like that. And I don't like the idea of a "weed"-free franchise, either. :mad:

I'm sure that I'm overanalyzing, though. :shrug:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
Interesting stuff from this article.

--The Suns didn't go after Kobe because they thought he wasn't seriously interested in them, not because they preferred Nash and Q. That's pretty much how I saw it, but here's the first confirmation I've seen.

--Sarver is worth $750m, not $2b as previously reported, and he got into the business to make money (most likely through increases in the team's value). Money will be a concern for the Suns on some level.

--Sarver dumped on both Kobe and Stephon--I'm not sure I like that. And I don't like the idea of a "weed"-free franchise, either. :mad:

I'm sure that I'm overanalyzing, though. :shrug:

Actually, I believe it was the writer who dumped on Marbury.

Joe Mama

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Dylan said:
Given Sarver's partnership with Steve Kerr, his basketball insider, the Suns new management plans to be more careful before taking on baggage. No more Stephon Marburys.

"I'm not going to get into the rehab business," Sarver said. "I can't change their habits. I'm not going to pretend that, if a guy insists on smoking weed, that I can stop him from smoking weed. I'm not going to pay a guy $12 million a year if he isn't friendly to our sponsors on the team plane.

I guess it's possible that Sarver wasn't talking about Marbury with that last quote.

Actually, the part about "weed" sounds like it's about Keon Clark, now that you mention it... :shrug:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
I guess it's possible that Sarver wasn't talking about Marbury with that last quote.

Actually, the part about "weed" sounds like it's about Keon Clark, now that you mention it... :shrug:

Or perhaps Frank Johnson who was involved with a sponsor's wife. :shrug: