Schein: NFL folks I'm rooting for in 2015

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...welter-among-nfl-folks-im-rooting-for-in-2015

A couple of Cardinals on the list:

2) Jen Welter, training camp/preseason intern, Arizona Cardinals

I love this story. The Cardinals added Welter to their coaching staff this week, making her the first female coach in NFL history. Welter will work with the team's inside linebackers in training camp and the preseason.
No surprise that it's Bruce Arians who is helping to break the gender barrier here. Arians is a wonderfully open thinker. He talked this spring about how a woman could -- and should -- coach in the NFL, and then he put his money where his mouth was.

Players don't care about gender, race or religion. They just want a good coach to make them better. Look at what's happening in the NBA. After spending the 2014-15 season as a full-time assistant on Gregg Popovich's staff, Becky Hammon just guided the San Antonio Spurs to a Summer League title. Phoenix Suns head coach Jeff Hornacek recently told me on my SiriusXM Radio show, "Schein on Sports," that he wants Diana Taurasi to work with his team.

I'm not surprised that a class organization gave Welter the chance. And I'm fully rooting for her to succeed in this historic role.

4) Tyrann Mathieu, defensive back, Arizona Cardinals

Mathieu did a fantastic job turning his life around after the Cardinals stole him in the third round of the 2013 NFL Draft. He was right in the thick of the Defensive Rookie of the Year race in his debut season ... before tearing up his knee in December. Consequently, he played at less than 100 percent last season, but he says he feels better than ever entering the 2015 campaign.

"Honey Badger" has worked hard to get back into top-tier shape, furthering the already-great reputation he's established in Arizona. (Dog-lover side note: Dug what Mathieu did recently, making a video for PETA that showed -- through the Honey Badger's immense perspiration -- why you can't leave a dog in a hot car.) On the field, this guy's a versatile cover man who just plain makes plays.

As a player, as a person, as an example of maturation, Mathieu gets nothing but love from me. Over the last few years, he's made it very easy to pull for him.

I hope he is right about Mathieu and maturation.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
First time I heard/saw the Cardinals referred to as a class organization, by the national media. Thank you Mr. Schein.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Thank you Mr. Schein.

Adam Schein and Pete Prisco are two Cardinal loving media members that have always given the team respect when they do well.

Rod Woodson doesn't do sports analysis anymore but he was the 1st on the bandwagon that I could remember.

In 2008, the Cardinals were always referred to on NFL network as Woodson's team.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Adam Schein and Pete Prisco are two Cardinal loving media members that have always given the team respect when they do well.

Rod Woodson doesn't do sports analysis anymore but he was the 1st on the bandwagon that I could remember.

In 2008, the Cardinals were always referred to on NFL network as Woodson's team.

I used to listen to NFL Radio a lot and Schein always pimped the Cardinals, all the way back to 2006 at least. He's one of the few that ever talked positively. I eventually stopped listening though because most of the callers were uneducated football fans with hard-ons for their team. I got tired of the absolutely moronic questions.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to listen to NFL Radio a lot and Schein always pimped the Cardinals, all the way back to 2006 at least. He's one of the few that ever talked positively. I eventually stopped listening though because most of the callers were uneducated football fans with hard-ons for their team. I got tired of the absolutely moronic questions.

He's on Mad Dog radio now and the callers are better there.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
He's on Mad Dog radio now and the callers are better there.

Good to know. I hate fan driven sports talk shows though. The thing I like about the local stuff is that they don't do any call ins. Even after Cardinals games, I cringe when listening to Cardinals Talk. Most people are so f'ing dumb. We could win the game by 20 and people would bitch about now winning by 50.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22