Scoop Jackson article on Kobe - Must read

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great freaking article. Scoop is a different, but very talented writer. This is a great piece on the way Kobe is perceived and exactly where I think the vast majority of the hate for him comes. Kobe gets grudging respect.

The absolute most telling part of this is the paragraph below.

How quickly we forget: During Jordan's highest-scoring year, the Bulls finished under .500.And this season may have been the worst for Kobe. By averaging 35.4 ppg, it took everyone back to 1986-87, when Jordan went ballistic, averaging over 37 a clip.

It's funny when they reminisce over you inside of a paradox like this, because no one mentioned how that season the Bulls played under-.500 basketball (40-42, fifth in their division, 17 games out of first place) and how they got swept in the first round by Boston, yet Kobe got the Lakers to play over-.500 ball (45-37, third in their division, nine games from first) and push the Suns to a "win or go home" game in the first round … and he gets dogged. Or how Michael came in second in MVP voting that year to Magic, yet Kobe came in fourth this year, fifth in the general managers voting poll.

Yet, they basically had the exact same statistical season.

MJ, '86-87: 37.1 ppg/5.2 rpg/4.6 apg
KB, '05-06: 35.4 ppg/5.3 rpg/4.5 apg

Yet, Kobe's season is being held against him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/060519

By Scoop Jackson
Page 2

The e-mails came the day after.

e-mail 1:
I'm so sick of hearing people say that Kobe quit. You aren't a quitter if you have 23 points before the half. If other Lakers had scored like they are paid to do the Lakers might have won Game 5!!!!! (There shouldn't have even been a Game 7 if tired Smush and brick-hands Kwame had showed up to the playoffs.) So don't talk to me about Kobe quitting. You type of sports fans (who are KOBE haters) don't know what you want. You complain when Kobe shoots a lot (according to your stats), but when he doesn't shoot a lot (and the Lakers lose) you complain. What do you want???
-peace.

e-mail 2:
My rule is unless I gave birth to the player, am married to the player, or am the baby mama for the player, I don't get my blood pressure up anymore because I'm older now and I might stroke myself out. Ha ha Seriously, you know how I feel about young Kobe so I won't rehash it with you. I will say that my brother (name withheld) believes that the Lakers will be getting Garnett over the summer and he promises me that the Lakers will be the Lakers of old by the fall. I am willing to wait and see -- and even take back some (not all) of the harsh things I have said about Kobe. But I'm telling you right now that if they continue to lose w/ fabulous Kevin in the lineup and the light is shining on Kobe's head like he's the problem I'm going tell you "I told you so" very loudly and in standard, non-ebonic English.
-no peace

Wednesday night Kobe Bryant addressed the issue at hand -- the issue of his Game 7 performance against the Suns, and the issue between him and Charles Barkley that had developed over the last week. Barkley called Bryant "selfish" on national television after the Lakers lost huge in a Game 7, a game in which Kobe took only three shots and scored one point in the second half.

It may have been the most confusing performance of his career. It was also the moment when it became overtly evident that no matter what he does for the rest of his career, Kobe Bryant can't win.

"The important part is that we play the game and play the game to win … to label me as selfish is something that I took up with Charles … it's one thing to criticize an individual's game but it's another thing to … "

On the TNT set Kobe spoke his peace. Said what he felt needed to be said, explained the issue and not necessarily why he did what he did, but where his mind was and why he didn't do what he'd normally do. Or more directly, what we all know someone else would have done if he'd been in the same situation.

Bryant said, "we stuck to the script … " and "it depends on who we're playing … " and "to demoralize them you have to stop them … " when answering questions about his performance. About Barkley, he then said, "I'm not going to jump over the table and lump him in the head."

As the words left his mouth he seemed comfortable in his belief, comfortable in why he went out like he did and "allowed" Game 7 to end the way it did. And regardless of what he said, there seemed to be something left unsaid. Something deeper than a strategy and plan that he and the Lakers wanted to execute.

And the problem is: Even if he did go deeper and tell all of us what we wanted to hear, half of us would still hate him and not believe him while the other half would hold on to his every word as gospel.

He can't win.

And probably never will.

The reason he won't is because of the ghost that has followed him ever since he entered the NBA. The ghost of Jordan. Outside of never winning with the fans, teammates, Madison Avenue or the media, Kobe Bryant's mythical but amazingly eerie connection to Michael Jordan is the single reason why this paradox of life follows him the way that it does.

Kenny Smith even alluded to it when KB was on the set. "The barbershop question" is what he called it, to which Kobe responded, "I handle the ball more [than Jordan] … the only similarities I see are our competitiveness … we're different, we're just different."

But no one sees that but him. Just as no one sees his three-shot second half to end his unbelievable 2005-06 season as something that is a part of his basketball character.

And the Jordan "thing" is why we think that. Essentially, the rationale everyone used after Kobe's Game 7 performance -- making the judgments much more severe than they should have been -- is the mental attachment that, "Well, Jordan wouldn't have gone out like that."

And anyone who says they haven't said that out loud or to themselves since May 7 is lying.

Theories give reason. If this is true, here's two to grow on.

Theory 23/45/23: Had Michael Jordan never existed, Kobe Bryant would probably be the most celebrated basketball player in the world.

Why? Because we would have never seen anyone do what he does on the basketball court; we'd be amazed … the same way we were when He blessed us in 1984. But the problem is, he did bless us and he did exist. Which is good for us, but over the years has made Kobe Bryant's life a living hell.

Theory 8/24: Had Kobe Bryant come into the league in 2002 with Amare or 2003 with LeBron, D-Wade, C-Bosh and Melo, or in 2004 with Dwight, or any year after Michael Jordan left the NBA, the comparisons would not haunt him the way they do.

And without haunting him, we -- the fans and the media -- would not forever draw the immediate comparisons between the intimacy of MJ's exit and KB's entrance. Had LeBron James come into the NBA in 1990, while Magic was still playing, and LB played against Magic, his life would be haunted the same way Kobe's is.

But LeBron didn't; he lucked out. So all we do is make general analogies, suggested resemblances. It's the difference between "LeBron James is the next Magic," as opposed to "Kobe Bryant is trying to be like Jordan."

There's an extremely big dissimilarity in the two statements. One that probably only Kobe recognizes because he's the one that has to live and live with it.

But the fact that Kobe came into the L on the heels of Jordan's second exodus -- and being so Jordanesque at the time -- human nature alone makes us connect him to Jordan like Bapes to Air Force Ones, Ask.com to Google, Chris Brown to Usher, Dime to Slam.

How quickly we forget: During Jordan's highest-scoring year, the Bulls finished under .500.And this season may have been the worst for Kobe. By averaging 35.4 ppg, it took everyone back to 1986-87, when Jordan went ballistic, averaging over 37 a clip.

It's funny when they reminisce over you inside of a paradox like this, because no one mentioned how that season the Bulls played under-.500 basketball (40-42, fifth in their division, 17 games out of first place) and how they got swept in the first round by Boston, yet Kobe got the Lakers to play over-.500 ball (45-37, third in their division, nine games from first) and push the Suns to a "win or go home" game in the first round … and he gets dogged. Or how Michael came in second in MVP voting that year to Magic, yet Kobe came in fourth this year, fifth in the general managers voting poll.

Yet, they basically had the exact same statistical season.

MJ, '86-87: 37.1 ppg/5.2 rpg/4.6 apg
KB, '05-06: 35.4 ppg/5.3 rpg/4.5 apg

Yet, Kobe's season is being held against him.

Which leaves the question open: Is the MJ lineage Kobe inherited unfair?

The answer is yes.

It's yes because without Jordan, direct analogies would not be made about everything he does on the basketball court; it's yes because we would not have a barometer to judge his every success and failure; it's yes because we wouldn't automatically say things like, "Damn he sounds just like MJ when he talks and damn he walks like MJ when he walks" to "his shoes don't sell like MJ's and he didn't sign with Brand Jordan because he wanted to be Nike's Jordan" to "the only reason he cut his Afro was to be more like MJ and the reason he's switching his number to 24 is because it's one number higher than MJ's."

He can never run from it.

His career is Jordan's in reverse. Win early, struggle late. But Jordan never had to go through this. Never had to deal with this type of scrutiny, never had to deal with this type of hate, never had to come on national television to discuss why he did what he did in the second half of a ball game that was lost at halftime.

In a season that was lost the minute the ref tossed up the ball in the very first game.

Overlooked in all of this new Kobegate is a point Kenny Smith made during and after the infamous Game 7. He talked about Kobe being in a place no other basketball player exists. A damned if he does, damned if he doesn't place. Hoops purgatory. A place where he can't win.

Which is funny, because the first comment out of Kobe's mouth the other night was, "We play the game to win."

Unfortunately for Kobe, you can only play basketball to win.

The game that is his life has slowly become a no-win situation.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
uh - correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't Jordan just 3 years out of college and 24 years old versus Kobe, who's an established vet, been in the league for 9 years - but, hey what's difference right?

Except for the fact by the time Jordan was 28, hell even, 26, he was making EVERYONE around him better. Conference Finals, winning two series against teams with higher seedings, with CRAP on his team - Dave the Dad Corzine starting at C, Brad Sellers getting major minutes... Scottie Pippen in his second year (still no comparison to Lamar Odom at this point in his career) and Horace Grant as a green 2nd year player (akin to Kwame).

These comparison have to stop - plain and simple. Kobe ain't no Jordan, never will be. He's simply the greatest scorer and cold blooded shooter in the clutch this league has seen since his airness, but he's got NONE of the rest of JOrdan's game (getting everyone involved, defense, and most importantly LEADERSHIP).

To compare the numbers of a 28 year old kid and a 24 year old kid is freaking stupid - one guy's in his prime, an estabslihed vet, while the other is just beginning to learn his game - period.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also like this part of the article:

"(40-42, fifth in their division, 17 games out of first place) and how they got swept in the first round by Boston, yet Kobe got the Lakers to play over-.500 ball (45-37, third in their division, nine games from first) and push the Suns to a "win or go home" game in the first round"

funny, though, It doesn't seem to mention that the Bulls got swept by ONE OF THE GREATEST TEAMS OF ALL TIME - while Kobe lost to a team who was basically .500 down the stretch of the last quarter of the season, playing with only 3/5s of their starting lineup and was a trendy pick before the series started to be upset by the very same Lakers.

But hey - yeah - let's just look at pur enumbers, regardless of context, age, or who opponents really were.

Sure is easy making black and white arguments like Scoop made, but it's even easier picking those pathetic arguments apart.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
These comparison have to stop - plain and simple. Kobe ain't no Jordan, never will be. He's simply the greatest scorer and cold blooded shooter in the clutch this league has seen since his airness, but he's got NONE of the rest of JOrdan's game (getting everyone involved, defense, and most importantly LEADERSHIP).

The point of the article is that it is an unfair comparison to begin with, and it taints everything Kobe does. The Kobe/Jordan comparisons are dumb in general (two different eras, two different styles of play, different rules, different level of competition). But the media only touts the comparison, while not like the above, showing anything better.

You know nothing of his leadership though, cheese. He is a good leader from all accounts of those being led by him. He's first team NBA all-defense. And getting everyone involved? He did that in the Suns series (and in fact, that's WHY he's being bashed for game 7.) All these arguments about why Kobe doesn't = Jordan are as dumb as trying to say why he does = Jordan. They try to compare things you can't compare, and Jordan's deity status makes it all the more difficult.

BTW, Jordan was a supreme ***** and ******** to his teammates, far more than Kobe has ever been...that's pretty well documented. And just look at Kwame with MJ and Kwame with Kobe...ask Kwame Brown who is the better leader...he'll probably say the guy who didn't call him a flaming bundle of sticks.

Anyway, since neither of us play with Kobe, why don't we let someone who HAS played with him talk about what kind of teammate/leader Kobe is?

Mark Madsen's personal blog:

http://markmadsen.com/blog/

Lakers vs. Suns

I watched the Lakers vs. Suns first round playoff series faithfully and thought it was one of the best first round matchups in recent history. I was extra interested given that I used to play for the Lakers and since two of my high school teammates played college basketball with Steve Nash at Santa Clara University. Kevin Dunne and Randy Winn were seniors when I was a sophomore at San Ramon Valley High School. The next year I watched them a lot at Santa Clara where along with Steve Nash they all helped Santa Clara's team to several years of greatness and some amazing upsets. I would have never thought at that time that I was watching one of the greatest point guards who would ever play in the NBA. It is amazing what hard work and perserverance can do and how Steve Nash's passing and shooting ability has changed the fortunes of an entire NBA franchise.

It was also great to see a couple of old friends play for the Lakers. Notably, it was a lot of fun to watch Kobe Bryant, Devean George, and Luke Walton make big plays for the Lakers and almost pull off a huge first round upset. Kobe Bryant never ceases to amaze me. Amost everywhere I go, people ask me what it was like to play with Kobe Bryant. Random people I have never met ask me the question. I thought that now would be a good time to talk about my interactions with Kobe on and off the court. When I first got to LA, I remember meeting Kobe in the training room. Kobe was there with his personal trainer and the first thing I thought in my mind is "Wow, Kobe must really be 6'7"!" You never really know how tall people are until you're next to them. Shaq is definitely 7'1" and Kevin Garnett is definitely taller than 6'11". Kobe is easily 6'7" and it's crazy because I play center in the NBA sometimes and I'm about 6'8" and Kobe can play point guard and he's basically the same height. The first year I was there, I can't tell you how many times I came into the game and Kobe tried to get me a dunk or a wide open layup to help me build some confidence. One time after a tough game at Memphis he invited me to meet up with him and his high school buddy for a steak dinner. Another time he stayed around after a game to meet up with the ten year old daughter of a buddy of mine for an autograph and a photo. Still another time when I was upset about a certain on-court team issue, Kobe took the time to listen to everything I was going through and tried to help the situation. Kobe Bryant went out of his way a lot when I was just figuring out what it was like to play in the NBA.

I felt badly after the game 7 loss that some members of the media tried to criticize Kobe for not shooting enough in the loss to the Suns. It's extra interesting to me, because I watched that game very closely and analyzed the Suns' defensive schemes against Kobe. In the first half it seemed like Suns threw a "soft double team" at Kobe whereas in the second half they trapped Kobe aggresively with two men and forced him to throw the ball out of the double team. I actually thought that Kobe was doing a good job of trying to hit his open teammates but their shots weren't falling. I guess if you are Kobe Bryant and you get 81 points you get criticized for shooting too much and if you only score 20-25 points then people say you are not shooting enough. I thoroughly enjoyed the series and watching my old teammate Kobe play so well. I think that the Lakers are back on the map. I hope I get to see Deaven George this summer in Minnesota and maybe I'll see Luke Walton at some Pac-10 reunion. (We never really had the Answer for Arizona basketball when I was at Stanford). At any rate, I still hope we go 4-0 against the Lakers next season and 4-0 against the Suns.

I miss that guy's energy and heart, but Ronny looks like he could bring that.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jordan was the model employee;

Krause: "Players and coaches alone don't win championships. Organizations win championships."

Jordan: "The trade of [Charles] Oakley was good, and the best thing he did was to get [Scottie] Pippen and [Horace] Grant. That's it. His claim to fame is that he drafted Earl Monroe for the Bullets [in 1967]. And I say to him, `What pick was that?' He says, `Two.' And I say, `Hell! Earl Monroe was a real secret, huh? A real secret? If you hadn't taken him, he'd have gone third!'"

:rolleyes:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Hilarious how the Kobe apologists slam Jordan.

Kobe will never be Michael Jordan--it will be difficult for the NBA to see another Jordan, although I think Lebron is on his way.

Kobe is a dynamic scorer and a heck of a player--the best in the league. But he doesn't have the mystical aura that Jordan had.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

Kobe will never be Michael Jordan--it will be difficult for the NBA to see another Jordan, although I think Lebron is on his way.

Kobe is a dynamic scorer and a heck of a player--the best in the league. But he doesn't have the mystical aura that Jordan had.

I like your last comment. I think Jordan was the greatest combo of talent and being in the right place at the right time.

I think what is most frustrating (Kobe apologist or not) is the revisionist history by some of Jordan. He is undoubtedly one of sports all-time aholes (see 'The Jordan Rules', et al.), with respect to his dealing with teammates, the organization, his gambling, etc. It just so happens was also one of the most talented athletes ever and definitely the best marketed.

Today, some would have you believe that Michael Jordan build houses for wayward girls during the day and dropped 30 a night while playing with unquestioned selflessness his entire career, while skipping up the court spreading rose pedals.

I would offer that KB is the most polarizing athlete in the game today, even surpassing Barry Bonds (at this point, I believe more people dislike Bonds than like him). As KB's Nike ad campaign states, "’Love me or hate me, it’s one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, my swagger. Hate my fadeaway, my hunger. Hate that I’m a veteran. A champion. Hate that. Hate it with all your heart. And hate that I’m loved, for the exact same reasons.” I guess the apologists (myself included) and the haters are some sort of cosmic yin and yang, continually to organically feed from each other.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

I agree with your assessment of LBJ. I cant help but wonder if he as either a person or as the global brand has watched KB's troubles (Colorado, public perception of the Shaq fued, the media's assertion that a Lakers' game is 1 on 5) and isnt cognisant of the situation and is being very, very careful with the way he is allowing himself to be perceived. I think watching LBJ's career on a lot of layers will continue to be very interesting and I will continue to root for him in as much as my Lakers blood allows. :)

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
There's some truth to the line of thinking that Jordan (and LBJ) was somewhat protected from media scrutiny when compared to other stars of their era such as Kobe and Iverson. The press would have ruined Kobe for gambling and shady mistress dealings even before Colorado but somehow MJ's magic touch allowed him to walk away from these sticky situations with his hands clean and his image intact. I don't know what it is that allows some guys to get away with certain misbehaving while others are run through the ringer for similar mistakes (Is it David Stern? Racial agenda? Media Compatibility?) but I've seen it happen in other sports and seen other great players go through their entire careers without gaining acceptance while a comparable peer reaps all sorts of glory and attention.

Look at New York and their favorite baseball team, the New York Yankees. The Yankees in case you were wondering the reason the Yankess haven't won a World Series since 2000. And guess whose fault that is according to the fans of New York? Alex Rodriguez. Last year's MVP. The guy who had better numbers than Jeter during the collapse against Boston. The guy who has easily been one of the the three best players in baseball for almost a decade.

A-Rod and Kobe have so much more in common than their smug attitudes and unwordly talent. Both will never win the fans until they're no longer playing. I wasn't alive back then but having read books but history tells us it was very much the same with Ted Williams. Teddy Ballgame was a better baseball player than Joe DiMaggio. In one of the few games where numbers rarely lie, the statistics clearly bear this out. But why was Williams nearly universally hated by all including the Red Sox fans who consistently booed him while DiMaggio was always the Golden Boy?

Sorry for the rant, but I thought I might add some historical perspective to the issue. Like I said earlier, the Kobe Bryant story is going to make one heckuva SportsCentury or book one day. It's going to be very interesting what his legacy is going to be when he leaves the game.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

Not really slamming Jordan at all. But he didn't raise from the dead and save the world from sin, either.

I think the article really goes a long way in showing how Kobe has the Jordan cloud over him, and always gets the comparisons, since day one. Its a blessing on one hand to be mentioned with such a great player, but a curse as well as Jordan owned the media and they juice him so hard every chance they get...to this day.

Its no slam on Jordan that he wasn't the best of teammates, even when they were winning championships. It's just the truth. Read the Jordan Rules; Read phil's books, read books on the Bulls dynasty by Lazenby. Insert Kobe for Jordan, and the media does NOT give him the passes they gave Mike. That's just the way it is. This article at least tries to give some perspective as to WHY that is.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
abomb said:
I agree with your assessment of LBJ. I cant help but wonder if he as either a person or as the global brand has watched KB's troubles (Colorado, public perception of the Shaq fued, the media's assertion that a Lakers' game is 1 on 5) and isnt cognisant of the situation and is being very, very careful with the way he is allowing himself to be perceived. I think watching LBJ's career on a lot of layers will continue to be very interesting and I will continue to root for him in as much as my Lakers blood allows. :)

That's a good outlook on LBJ.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
I wasn't alive back then but having read books but history tells us it was very much the same with Ted Williams. Teddy Ballgame was a better baseball player than Joe DiMaggio. In one of the few games where numbers rarely lie, the statistics clearly bear this out. But why was Williams nearly universally hated by all including the Red Sox fans who consistently booed him while DiMaggio was always the Golden Boy?

Interesting.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Even in the past 10 years, the league has changed incredibly--at least ever since the lockout season. Look at the league now vs. the league in 93 when the Suns had the best team in the NBA, and the differences are exponential. The evolution of the NBA is actually pretty amazing, for good or for bad.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Even in the past 10 years, the league has changed incredibly--at least ever since the lockout season. Look at the league now vs. the league in 93 when the Suns had the best team in the NBA, and the differences are exponential. The evolution of the NBA is actually pretty amazing, for good or for bad.

I think it was bad for a bit, but it's entering into a great new era. We've got a lot of young stars, a lot of young teams and have seen some great moments already. Players like Dwight Howard and Chris Paul are just sick as all get out, and are going to be making teams like the Magic and Hornets dangerous to face. A lot more great matchups on the horizon. This playoffs so far is one of the best I've seen in ages.

The NBA is on the upswing...finally.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
I think it was bad for a bit, but it's entering into a great new era. We've got a lot of young stars, a lot of young teams and have seen some great moments already. Players like Dwight Howard and Chris Paul are just sick as all get out, and are going to be making teams like the Magic and Hornets dangerous to face. A lot more great matchups on the horizon. This playoffs so far is one of the best I've seen in ages.

The NBA is on the upswing...finally.

well, at least we can agree on that. The NBA is DEINITELY on the upswing right now.

The 93-95 years were really the last gasp of greatness, maybe throw in up to 98 when Jordan retired, but after that, you had that next level of Superstars who never quite lived up to billing and the old guard completely fell off the cliff: Shaq (really the only one and the reason for his dynstasy), Zo, Larry Johnson, Webber, Penny, Kidd, Grant Hill, Kemp, Payton, and good lord - Glen Robinson was the number one pick one year... those guys were supposed to carry the torch but all failed pretty miserably for one reason or another, but the youth in today's game, Wade, Lebron, Yao, Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Melo and hopefully, Amare, when he returns, combined with the middle-aged superstardom of Duncan, Bryant, Dirk, Garnett, Brand and combined with old school guys, Shaq and Nash has given us superstars across the entire spectrum and guys who have given us some unbelievable moments the past two seasons in the playoffs. It's exciting to watch the league REALLY grow again and start to wow and it's just gonna get better with High Schoolers needing at least one year of the college game.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
well, at least we can agree on that. The NBA is DEINITELY on the upswing right now.

The 93-95 years were really the last gasp of greatness, maybe throw in up to 98 when Jordan retired, but after that, you had that next level of Superstars who never quite lived up to billing and the old guard completely fell off the cliff: Shaq (really the only one and the reason for his dynstasy), Zo, Larry Johnson, Webber, Penny, Kidd, Grant Hill, Kemp, Payton, and good lord - Glen Robinson was the number one pick one year... those guys were supposed to carry the torch but all failed pretty miserably for one reason or another, but the youth in today's game, Wade, Lebron, Yao, Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Melo and hopefully, Amare, when he returns, combined with the middle-aged superstardom of Duncan, Bryant, Dirk, Garnett, Brand and combined with old school guys, Shaq and Nash has given us superstars across the entire spectrum and guys who have given us some unbelievable moments the past two seasons in the playoffs. It's exciting to watch the league REALLY grow again and start to wow and it's just gonna get better with High Schoolers needing at least one year of the college game.

And now we have THREE game sevens in the conference semi-finals. Which means that three of the four teams in the ECF and WCF will have got there from a Game 7 (and if the Suns make it, off of two back to back game sevens!!)

Just incredible basketball being played.

And with the roster of the Olympic team combined with the last team's debacle, I'm predicting a dominating run in the Olympics that will put this team on the same level as the first Dream Team. Kobe will still be in his prime, Howard will be just sick as hell with a couple more years under his youthful belt, and LBJ growing by the day in his game and now with pressure situations too...Chris Paul who will be incredible when the Olympics roll around. This will be a team for the freaking ages.

I'm as excited for the Olympics to roll around now as I was back then.