Seeing people talk about Crawford and Beasley baffles me

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We've got chatter about Crawford, a while back there was a little mention of Beasley but Ive seen it more on other sites. This stuff really confuses me.

Have we learned nothing from the last 10 years? Should the Suns really sink more money into guys who are horrific at everything except scoring... and even that they do inefficiently? These are exactly the kinds of players successful teams avoid.

Crawford is a ball hogging shooter who cant shoot. And Beasley is not only a PR disaster waiting to happen, but has accomplished the rare feat of become worse each year he plays in the league, yet someone is probably going to toss him upwards of 30 million this summer and most likely regret it before the season tips off.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also baffling is the thought of trading our starting center, Gortat.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
They need to wait it out another year and go after Harden. No way can OKC max him out along with Westbrook and Durant. They've got to pay Ibaka too.

Of course the Suns are going to blow it and overpay for a few decent players to keep Nash happy. "The sun, the moon, and the stars."

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They need to wait it out another year and go after Harden. No way can OKC max him out along with Westbrook and Durant. They've got to pay Ibaka too.

Even if that's correct (which I'm not sure it is) it is highly unlikely that they will wait until they have to realize loosing Harden for nothing.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Even if that's correct (which I'm not sure it is) it is highly unlikely that they will wait until they have to realize loosing Harden for nothing.

I was thinking about this too. I bet there's a good chance they try to deal Harden before the trade deadline.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was thinking about this too. I bet there's a good chance they try to deal Harden before the trade deadline.

Agreed. They will probably try to sign him to something like 4 years, 45 mil, and if he shoots it down then they will trade him.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I don't wanta watch Nash play until they have to cart him off the floor in a wheelchair!!

I'm ready to move on, I can hardly stand watching this team struggle so hard to be sub-mediocre.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't wanta watch Nash play until they have to cart him off the floor in a wheelchair!!

I'm ready to move on, I can hardly stand watching this team struggle so hard to be sub-mediocre.

To be fair, they are struggling to be slightly above mediocre.

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I can hardly stand watching this team struggle so hard to be sub-mediocre.

You know that they're above .500, right? They're struggling, and witnessing it may be painful, but they are better than average. If you think this is hard to watch, get ready for when they are actually bad.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You know that they're above .500, right? They're struggling, and witnessing it may be painful, but they are better than average. If you think this is hard to watch, get ready for when they are actually bad.

Agreed. And it would be better for them to be EXTREMELY bad in a short term than just... bad, in the long term, which is what they would set themselves up to be by throwing money at a bunch of 2nd and 3rd tier players this summer.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

they have the 17th best record in a 30 team league. That's below average IMO.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they have the 17th best record in a 30 team league. That's below average IMO.

They all play an unbalanced schedule and this year it was more unbalanced than usual. IMO, playing .500 ball in the far tougher Western conference puts you in the middle of the pack, not sub-mediocre as was claimed.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They all play an unbalanced schedule and this year it was more unbalanced than usual. IMO, playing .500 ball in the far tougher Western conference puts you in the middle of the pack, not sub-mediocre as was claimed.

Steve

i keep seeing this that the west is FAR tougher, but I really think that's a thing of the past.

the East has it's complete bottom cellar dwellars with Charlotte and Washington, but the West has 5 pretty bad teams compared to the East's 6 and every team in the East is .500 or better, much like the West and it has bona-fide title contenders.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i keep seeing this that the west is FAR tougher, but I really think that's a thing of the past.

the East has it's complete bottom cellar dwellars with Charlotte and Washington, but the West has 5 pretty bad teams compared to the East's 6 and every team in the East is .500 or better, much like the West and it has bona-fide title contenders.

I don't think there's much of a difference at the top but I think the gap between the two might be even greater this year than in year's past. IMO, the East had 7 of the 8 worst teams and getting to play 48 of your games against that weaker lineup really inflated a few team's records.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then you might want to review the difference between "average" and "median." An "average" team plays .500 by definition.

whatever eric. you're right, this is an above average team and everyone who talks basketball would say as much.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Suns play in a ridiculously tough conference, if they were in the East they might have been a 5th or 6th seed, possibly higher.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Then you might want to review the difference between "average" and "median." An "average" team plays .500 by definition.
Good point, Eric. It reminds me of the story of the guy who has one foot in a bucket of dry ice and the other in boiling water. On the "average", he is pretty comfortable.

Or a roomful of people, half of whom are 70 and the other half are 30. The average age is 50, but not one of them is anywhere near it.

The term "average" (or "mean") is very misleading.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're arguing about the definition of "average," not how good the Suns are.

this is insane. you're arguing semantics and i'm talking about basketball. why you're choosing to be a complete douche is beyond me, but you do it well so might as well keep doing it.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
this is insane. you're arguing semantics and i'm talking about basketball. why you're choosing to be a complete douche is beyond me, but you do it well so might as well keep doing it.

My point, which you are too hostile even to open your mind to, is that while yes, the Suns are bad and frustrating to watch, there are a lot of teams that are worse. We can argue about whether that number is 12 or 14 or 16, but the bottom line is, if you think this is bad, you ain't seen nothin' yet. The gap between a contending team and the Suns is huge, but the gap between the Suns and the Bobcats is just as big, if not bigger.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My point, which you are too hostile even to open your mind to, is that while yes, the Suns are bad and frustrating to watch, there are a lot of teams that are worse.

now you're putting words into my mouth... after condescending with ridiculous semantical (yes, i know that's not a word) arguments. I know there are a lot of teams worse... that doesn't make us average in basketball terms.

We can argue about whether that number is 12 or 14 or 16, but the bottom line is, if you think this is bad, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

thats just it... I know this isn't "bad"... this IS nothin'... it's neither here nor there which IMO is the worst place any team can be in any league. You're not rebuilding and you're not contending. you're just there.

horrific i can deal with... at least in that case there MIGHT be some reward at the end of the year in the form of draft picks which can help the future. but this... is literally nothing. we'll get nothing in the draft at the end of the lottery and we have no post-season.

that sucks.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Are they average now semantic boy?

Unfortunately they still aren't below average, which is what you said. And again, for you to arguing semantics -- even while claiming that I'm the douche who is arguing semantics -- misses the point, as I thought you had begun to understand. (The distinction you seem to envision between an NBA team finishing with an average record and yet being "below average in basketball terms" is beyond me, but I'm sure it has deep meaning for you, so I'll drop it.)