Should Ichiro be Considered the All Time Hits Leader?

Should Ichiro be Considered the All Time Hits Leader?

• Yes

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • No

Votes: 22 88.0%
  • Yes, but only because Rose gambled on baseball

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting debate for sure.

Miami Marlins outfielder Ichiro Suzuki has 2,977 hits as a Major League Baseball player. Before that he accumulated 1,278 in the Nippon Professional Baseball League in Japan.

That’s a total of 4,255 hits as a pro – or one hit shy of Pete Rose’s MLB record.

According to USA Today, this is a big deal in Japan, with around a dozen reporters covering every outing and Japan’s national public broadcasting network showing all Marlins games as Ichiro closes in on the hallowed mark.

Also according to USA Today, Rose isn’t too happy about all of this.

“It sounds like in Japan, they’re trying to make me the Hit Queen,” Rose said. “I’m not trying to take anything away from Ichiro, he’s had a Hall of Fame career, but the next thing you know, they’ll be counting his high school hits.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-pete-rose-ichiro-suzuki-20160614-snap-story.html

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hit Queen? Low class as always.

Good debate. For MLB, no. It is tough to compare leagues. But clearly Ichiro can hit, and it is too bad we will never know.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
the Japan pro league is a big step down from the MLB talent wise, and probably a lateral if not slight step up from our AAA league.

if Ichiro were to start his pro playing career in the US he may have had a shot at the record..

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Ichiro was a superstar at 20 years old in Japan and didn't join to Mariners until he was 27. That 6-7 years of peak performance before he came over and there was no transition for him picking up MLB pitching. I don't consider him the "hit King" but that's an all-time what-if conversation had a najority of his prime been in MLB.

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ichiro was a superstar at 20 years old in Japan and didn't join to Mariners until he was 27. That 6-7 years of peak performance before he came over and there was no transition for him picking up MLB pitching. I don't consider him the "hit King" but that's an all-time what-if conversation had a majority of his prime been in MLB.

Good point. But as some have said it's not MLB so I say no.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
MLB -- Major League baseball -- is a group of leagues founded in the U.S., even if some of the participants are headquartered on foreign soil such as Canada. Even if we were to put two teams in London.

The criteria of hit leader for Major League baseball can be based only on records accrued while a member of teams within the National and American Leagues.

If anyone wants to say that Ichiro is the "world leader in hits", fine. But it is in no way an official title. Any more than hits accumulated in MLB's Minor Leagues, because of different levels of competition.

It is bad enough that MLB has allowed itself to maintain two levels of criteria with the Designated Hitter status. That in itself is a different level of competition, because in the A.L., a DH can come up to bat 3-4-5 times and totally rest in between. A luxury that does not exist in the N.L. (for older players).

That is why, although I have opposed the D.L. concept from the start, I now believe that, because it has become so prevalent, the N.L. should adopt it, too, for the sake of consistency within Major League baseball.

As far as hits leader, neither Japanese leagues, nor any other, are within U.S. Major League baseball.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, but he definitely would have been if he started his career in MLB. I bet he would be close to 4000 hits even.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
My answer is no, but I want to be clear I'm not defending Pete Rose, who is the all time leader in hits and also in douchebag comments.

That said, I believe the argument for greatest hitter of all time should always include Ichiro.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It pained me to vote no. I wish Ichiro had played his entire career in MLB and was knocking the loudmouth Rose off his pedestal.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
It pained me to vote no. I wish Ichiro had played his entire career in MLB and was knocking the loudmouth Rose off his pedestal.

The other side is Rose, left it on the field. Like him or hate him, you wanted him on your team.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ichiro had 10 years where he had over 200 hits in a season. Pete Rose only had 3. There is no way, no how that Rose would be the hit leader if Ichiro played his full career in the MLB. The difference in the leagues makes no difference. He was better than Rose while he was here, and for a much longer period.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Ichiro had 10 years where he had over 200 hits in a season. Pete Rose only had 3. There is no way, no how that Rose would be the hit leader if Ichiro played his full career in the MLB. The difference in the leagues makes no difference. He was better than Rose while he was here, and for a much longer period.

AAA or less, just sayin;

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The other side is Rose, left it on the field. Like him or hate him, you wanted him on your team.

If I could take a young Rose or Ichiro on my team no way I pass on Rose. He was not just a great hitter he made teams better.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Where did you get this information?

Rose had over 200 hits in 10 seasons with two 198 hit seasons as well.

Did you confuse 200 hit seasons with 200 hit season streaks? Cause that would make sense.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where did you get this information?

Rose had over 200 hits in 10 seasons with two 198 hit seasons as well.

Did you confuse 200 hit seasons with 200 hit season streaks? Cause that would make sense.
You are correct. I meant to say consecutive seasons.
Also, the number is 9 for Ichiro and not 10 like I mentioned. Thanks for the clarification.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cannot stand Rose, but Japan isn't major league baseball. The minor league record for RBI in a season is like 250 something, crushing Hack Wilson's MLB total, but no one bothers to equate the two; with good cause.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
And that 3rd condition should be more in depth like; Yes but only becase Rose bet on baseball and lied about it for decades before admitting to some of it but still lying and then gradually admitting a little more while continuing to lie about it, lies upon lies upon lies and we still dont know how many games he affected the outcome in due to his bets that he didn't make... lol

People act like this guy is a victim. Pete Rose broke the most sacred rule in baseball and it's not like MLB made an example out of him. Precedent was set, he knew the rule. Pete Rose is not a victim.