Signing Colvin will not solve

stlouiecard

Veteran
Reaction score
our pass rush problems,however, it would certainly be a good start. Signing this guy and drafting Suggs would be the ticket. I really think Suggs would do well in AZ and I think the Cards need to make a serious effort to get him. If they have to trade up then so be it.

Other tidbits- I think Blake would be better than Stewart. He is more accurate and throws a better deep ball. I don't know who he would throw to,but that's another issue. Darius Thompson is another missed opportunity. Coulda,woulda,shoulda.

Ricky Proehl is available- The Rams have shunned him and he would be a good posession WR. He can be had for cheap and probably would only play one or two more seasons.

Any news on Okeofor or Holliday????

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by stlouiecard
our pass rush problems,however, it would certainly be a good start. Signing this guy and drafting Suggs would be the ticket. I really think Suggs would do well in AZ and I think the Cards need to make a serious effort to get him. If they have to trade up then so be it.

Other tidbits- I think Blake would be better than Stewart. He is more accurate and throws a better deep ball. I don't know who he would throw to,but that's another issue. Darius Thompson is another missed opportunity. Coulda,woulda,shoulda.

Ricky Proehl is available- The Rams have shunned him and he would be a good posession WR. He can be had for cheap and probably would only play one or two more seasons.

Any news on Okeofor or Holliday????

My opinion is that if the Cards sign Colvin, then Suggs is not so much a priority.

I'm also guessing that Blake or Griese are the top priorities at QB. In fact I just have a gut feeling that the one the Cards would most like to have is Griese. I would say it also looks more and more like Frank Sanders might be back.
I like Ricky Proehl, but I'd still take Sanders over him.
Okeofor and Holliday are both still in the mix last I've seen reported. I can't help but think the Cards have played their cards right on these two. Both still gotta be smelling some of that possible green they know the Cards still have.

OP
OP
S

stlouiecard

Veteran
Reaction score
Re: Re: Signing Colvin will not solve

Originally posted by Tangodnzr

You're probably right, if Colvin does indeed move to DE then we really wouldn't have room for Suggs,however, if he were to be a pass rushing LB(replacing Fredrickson) then Suggs would fit in on the left side. I think Okeofor and Holliday would greatly add to the mix --

I guess what I would really like to see is the cardinals to start getting things done soon so that they do not paint themselves into a corner come draft day. I would like for us to draft the best available athlete instead of for need.

We need too much!!

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Signing Colvin will not solve

I would like for us to draft the best available athlete instead of for need.

Not trying to pick on you but why do so many people use this blanket statement?

The simple fact is that Best Available Athlete is a term that makes no sense whatsoever and varies from team to team and scout to scout. For example Just because you may think Suggs is the BAA someone else might think its Newman or another person might think its Jimmy Kennedy???

The term is just plain and simply BS!

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
StLouiscard, there have been no press releases emanating from Tempe. No leaks of anything. Total silence.

This is good in a way. It's a sign that Rod Graves is working on something. When the Cards have nothing going, they tend to send out lots of little packets of minor news items.

OP
OP
S

stlouiecard

Veteran
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Signing Colvin will not solve

Originally posted by Shane H
Not trying to pick on you but why do so many people use this blanket statement?

The simple fact is that Best Available Athlete is a term that makes no sense whatsoever and varies from team to team and scout to scout. For example Just because you may think Suggs is the BAA someone else might think its Newman or another person might think its Jimmy Kennedy???

The term is just plain and simply BS!

You're statement probably makes sense. However, I think the terms is used in this light: Drafting a quarterback because Jake Plummer left and passing up on a Terrell Suggs or a Terrance Newman because of our need to fill a void in my mind is a mistake. If the Cards can fill many of their needs prior to draft day they will have these options open. If not then we will indeed still see a good athlete drafted, but, it will be dictated by need and not by best possible athlete.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
We still could use some safety help and vet corner IMO. LB is thin and we could DEFINATELY be upgraded. Colvin can only play one position. But not "HAVING" to draft a specific position makes the chances of getting a good player better. BTW, I am beginning to SEVERLY doubt Suggs will fall to us at all.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Signing Colvin will not solve

If the Cards can fill many of their needs prior to draft day they will have these options open. If not then we will indeed still see a good athlete drafted, but, it will be dictated by need and not by best possible athlete.

I see what you are saying and I agree we definately need to fill as many holes as possible prior to the draft.

Howevor regardless of who we sign defensively I would still like to see us draft Suggs! Because INO he is the BAA :)

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Let's just take a look at the DE situation and examine some of its possibilities and ramifications.

Right now we have KVB, Wakefield, and Johnson.

They may not be all pro, but neither are they exactly chumps.
I see some versatility there too.

Now possible additions: Holliday, Okeafor, and Colvin,
possibly Suggs, (very iffy for a number of reasons at this point)

To me Holliday is probably the most prototypical LE. Wakefield, Johnson have both played there, and I think KVB might actually be better suited there than RE.

I think the best RE possibilities are Colvin, Johnson, Okeafor, and KVB.

I think the most likely scenarion is getting 2 of the 3 free agents.
I would make my first choice Colvin and Holliday.

By doing that, The Cards can take a calculated risk on Holliday's injury situation. Regardless of who they get, they are going to have some decent depth.

Besides most of these guys having decent motors, they all seem fairly intelligent. And I would predict seeing a lot of ratation in the lineup, which cuts down on injury possibilities and lessens the defense "wearing down" as the game progresses.

Colvin adds even more versatility in that he is like Freddy Joe Nunn used to be....play either OLB or DE. When he's at DE, then Fisher, Woods or Young are there to play LB. And when he's at LB then RE can be KVB, Johnson, or Okeafor.

Meanwhile Wakefield spends his time between DT and LE.

That really looks like it could be a decent lineup.

And I would say a decent pass rush as long as the DT's are doing any kind of reasonable job at all.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Tango, YOU KNOW WHAT!?!?!? I like your thought process here, man. If this happens (Colvin and Holliday), our DE depth would be among the best in the league, IMO.

The problem would stem from our interior play. Bryant may (may) prove to be a good push up the middle on passing downs, but he's not a run-stuffer. You certainly need a run-stuffer to shut down a team's running game, and I don't think we have him. Many say Tanner, but I'm not sold on him. He still gets pushed around too much, for whatever reason. I'm not condoning drafting a DT in round one, because we'd be paying 2 DTs top 12 money, and that's too much. God, that hurt, to say I'd pass up on Kennedy, my PSU buddy. Oh well. Godspeed in the draft for the Cards, and may we land Leftwich.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Signing Colvin will not solve

Originally posted by Shane H
I see what you are saying and I agree we definately need to fill as many holes as possible prior to the draft.

Howevor regardless of who we sign defensively I would still like to see us draft Suggs! Because INO he is the BAA :)

Shane, in a way you are making the point for drafting the best athlete available. In your mind, and many others, Suggs is the best player available. So if the Cards haven't shored up the glaring holes on this team they may have to pass on Suggs to get a player of need. That's why the Cards have to pick up a:

DE
QB
and to a lesser degree:
LB
S
DT
WR
FB
CB
C
O-line Depth

If these are all accomplished in FA then in every round the Cards can pick the best player available. This not only upgrades the talent level on the squad but adds young talent to develop.

The most glaring draft mistake this team has made in recent years was when the team had to fill a position on need. Knight and TJ come to mind immediately.

I agree teams may disagree on who the best player available is, but that's where the true talents of a War Room are exposed or confirmed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22